ROLL CALL: Who has surround sound in their car(s)?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not now, but I had a 1967 Chevy Nova 1968 to 1972 that had a Roberts 770X reel to reel powered by a Terado inverter using the old Dynaco Hafler effect out of phase surround with 4 6 x9 woofers and 4 horn tweeters.

I do not now, but I had a 1967 Chevy Nova 1968 to 1972 that had a Roberts 770X reel to reel powered by a Terado inverter using the old Dynaco Hafler effect out of phase surround with 4 6 x9 woofers and 4 horn tweeters.

Nice! Reel to Reel for Real in the car! Now that is BIG TIME! :smokin

(Or maybe "James Bond"-like!)

What year, make and model of car:Big Dodge Ram pickup 1500

Did you install it yourself (if not factory installed):Yes

What surround formats can you play: DD,DTS, DPLII

How would you rate the system, and would you recommend it to others: I bought the Clarion system. It consists of a head end unit that is not multichannel, A six disc changer that provides the digital signal to decode, and their DTS decoder. It will decode DTS, Dolby AC-3, and with stereo ,DPLII. All these components are tied together with a series of network cables called C-net. I have it all amplified with two vintage Sanyo PA6050 stereo amplifiers. I also have the surround controller which I connect for adjustment purposes, but not for normal operations. It does sound good, but I would like a little more bass. I will probably add a subwoofer at some point.

The Quadfather

Haven't puchased a car since my move but will be forced soon to get one. Once I do, I will install my old Sherwood DTS system that plays DTS and does Circle Surround to stereo discs.

Who first had surround sound in their cars or on a bike! In 1968 I had a Chevy Nova with a Roberts 770X R/R deck powered by a Terado Inverter. Using woofers & tweeters with Dynaco quad .Moved to Quad 8 Tracks in car and on a bike, 3 wheel delivering newspapers.

At one time I had a surround system in a 1986 Honda Civic hatchback that used MB Quart speakers front and back, a JL Audio 8" sub in a bandpass box, Precision Power amplifiers, a Sony DAT head unit, and a Fosgate Audionics Gavotte II surround processor. It sounded great with stereo and QS encoded surround recordings. Then the car sprung a leak and fricaseed my amps!

Sony MEX-DV2000

Self Installed in my PT Cruiser and another in my RAV4.

SACD multi-channel/Dolby Digital multi-channel/DTS multi-channel; Dolby Pro Logic II multi-channel/ Stereo MP3/WMA/High Resolution PCM and 16 bit PCM.
DVD-Video [with 2 video outputs]; Karaoke.

Sports a front analog stereo input and an optional iPod Input/charger/control.

Superb clear power with well designed multi-band EQ adjustments.
Superb AM and FM section with option of adding an alternative $50 digital radio tuner.

This is by far the best unit I have ever had in a vehicle and would recommend it highly. Both cost me about $200.00 each; you can't beat that. The only thing missing is the ability to play the high resolution multi-channel content on DVD-A's and DualDisk's; but the DD or DTS tracks on those disks sound very good.

I now drive around with a huge smile on my face.:smokin

Richard

I apologize if this is not the correct place for this question, but I have been looking into getting a an Acura TL do to it's ability to play surround sound encoded discs. I have more dts encoded discs than DVD-A discs and happened to take several dts discs with me to the acura dealer to do a "test-drive". The dts discs were rejected by the els system. When I asked the guy who was supposed to be the expert for questions of that type, he told me that acura only plays dvd-audio discs, not dts discs. I didn't buy this explanation, but since my discs did not play, I was wondering if anyone else has similar issues with their acura tl? The discs I brought with me were: 1) George Benson & Al Jarreau "Giving It Up" from Monster Disc, a THX dts superdisc, and 2) Genesis Live at Wembley Stadium which is admittedly a DVD video disc with dts encoded sound track. Is there a reason that both of these discs are not in a readable format? Do you need to only use certain DTS discs and if so, what should you look for when bringing one to play on the Acura system?

You can only play DTS encoded cds or DVD-A discs in the TL. Even though they have DTS tracks, the discs you brought with you are DVD-V discs and are not playable.

Also, the TL I had was fussy about some of the homebrew DTS discs available. Sometimes they would "chirp" occasionally in the car while in my home player they would play fine.

I think I've gone backwards in regards to this question.

My "new" car (1966 Volvo 122s) only has an AM radio, a single speaker up behind the dash.

I am building an echo chamber for a rear speaker though... Heh heh heh...

You can only play DTS encoded cds or DVD-A discs in the TL. Even though they have DTS tracks, the discs you brought with you are DVD-V discs and are not playable.

Also, the TL I had was fussy about some of the homebrew DTS discs available. Sometimes they would "chirp" occasionally in the car while in my home player they would play fine.

Yup! The Monster Disc is really a DVD-V, as is your other disc. You need a "DTS MUSIC DISC", which is really a DTS encoded CD (like Band on the Run, etc). Unfortunately, the ELS system cannot access the audio tracks on DVD-V's (which is a damn shame). I believe that the Lexus and other cars have this ability.

Yup! The Monster Disc is really a DVD-V, as is your other disc. You need a "DTS MUSIC DISC", which is really a DTS encoded CD (like Band on the Run, etc). Unfortunately, the ELS system cannot access the audio tracks on DVD-V's (which is a damn shame). I believe that the Lexus and other cars have this ability.

Just buy DVD-Audio Solo and all your problems are solved! I did this with quite a few DTS/DVD-V discs including the whole Genesis boxed sets.

And the only thing about the Lexus is that it is not a discrete system. :(

Hey, I traded in my 2006 TL for a 2009 TSX with Technology Package. So, this is what I have as far as audio:

ELS Surround Sound System - 10 speakers with an 8-inch subwoofer, 415 watt amp, 6-disc changer that plays DVD-Audio, DTS-CD, CDs with MP3s and WMAs, USB interface for iPods or flash drives, Bluetooth Audio, XM Satellite Radio, Dolby Pro-Logic II.

There's a lot of feature now that my old TL doesn't have. The best part is the ability to use my iPod and play it with DPLII. It's pretty sweet. Doesn't beat DVD-A but it's the next best thing.

How do you like the car besides the sound system??? If that's not too far off topic...

Although I LOVE the techno goodies of the TSX, one of the big reasons I "downgraded" from the TL was to get a smaller engine that saves money on gas and a generally smaller car because I don't need the space.

My 2006 TL had a 3.2L 258HP SOHC V6 with a 5-speed automatic. This engine was sublime. If gas prices weren't so high it wouldn't be so bad.

My new 2009 TSX has a 2.4L 201HP DOHC i-VTEC inline-4 with a 5-speed automatic. The shifting is rougher on this engine. But, it's a little peppier off the idle. Although my manual says I need to use an octane of 91 or higher, the dealer says because it's a 4-cyl. I can get by with 87 octane.

Although the cabin space is smaller than the TL, there's more room in this latest TSX compared with older TSX models. I hardly fill the car with people anyway. There's basically less leg room for the rear seats compared with the TL. But, it still feels roomy to me. I mostly drive alone. Just as long as you don't have to drive basketball players every day, I think it's fine. And because the size of the TSX is smaller than the TL, there's a better turning ratio. I had a hard time making wide turns and quick cuts with the TL. It was kind of like driving a mini-tank.

Trunk space is pretty good considering it's smaller than the TL. One thing I love about the trunk now is that it has a better system to catch rain that collected on the top of the trunk. With the TL, if I opened my trunk too fast, the water would go in. :mad:

Another thing that came with the Technology package is a GPS Navigation system which I absolutely LOVE. Even on a small island like the one I live on, it's still very useful. If I were on the mainland, I could also get real-time traffic and weather reports (it's not available in Hawaii because it goes through XM Satellite). And it also comes with a rear camera when you shift into reverse. It's a great safety feature.

If you have any other questions about the TSX, feel free to ask! :)

Thanks for the input!

Sounds like a good car...I have an '04 TL with Nav and love the sound system, but it has over 100K miles and I'm starting to think about the next car. Like you, I was thinking maybe the TSX would save some money on gas, but I wasn't sure what kind of comedown it would be.

Back on topic, any differences in the DVD-A sound between the two?

I bought my new surround car audio just last week so I thought I can add my system

Car system: JVC KD-AVX33

What year, make and model of car: 2000 Ford Focus Zetec 1.8 TDDi Hatchback

Did you install it yourself: Of course :D but I'm still upgrading my speakers

What surround formats can you play: DVD-A/V, DTS 96/24, Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro-Logic II

How would you rate the system, and would you recommend it to others: since my speakers are not the best I couldn't rate it completely, but speaking of the JVC it's wonderful even if it's only 1-din and with a 3.5" lcd monitor.
The menu is a bit tricky, but I'm used to Windows XP so what the heck :D

Car system: Sony MEX-DV2000

What year, make and model of car: 2003 Porsche Boxster S

Did you install it yourself: No, professionally installed

What surround formats can you play: SACD, DVD-V, DTS , Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro-Logic II

How would you rate the system, and would you recommend it to others: Sounds great! I just had it installed yesterday and I'm having an issue where the unit powers off randomly, so I have to bring it back to the installer today, but otherwise I love it. Not expecting much with the top down though.

Just buy DVD-Audio Solo and all your problems are solved! I did this with quite a few DTS/DVD-V discs including the whole Genesis boxed sets. :(

I know that DVD-Audio Solo can burn wma and mp3 files in DVD-A format, but how do you extract DTS and the audio portion of DVD-VIDEO files to get 'em into DVD-Audio Solo to begin with?

Back