ROLL CALL: Who has surround sound in their car(s)?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ROLL CALL: Who has surround sound in their car(s)?

if you have a car with a factory installed surround system or one you installed yourself (DVD-Audio, SACD, DTS, Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II, Q8 or something else), please respond to this thread and tell us:

What year, make and model of car: 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Did you install it yourself (if not factory installed): I had it installed..."it" being the Sherwood DTS that was so hot, some years ago. When it smoked the factory speakers, I replaced them with Pioneers.
What surround formats can you play: DTS, Circle Surround

How would you rate the system, and would you recommend it to others: until very recently, it's been a gas. Always a favorite of my shade-tree mechanic: on a couple of occasions I found the Jeep on his lift, with four doors open and my compilation disc blaring. The head unit has failed...ejecting discs and, with nothing loaded, attempting to play one...switching to 'play' from FM, and trying to 'play' when the unit is technically "off." I would appreciate comment on a cheap........that sounds so....let's say "an adequate but basic" replacement unit. SWEET little decoder.

1977 Lincoln Continental Mark V--factory unit--car has 7k original miles--sounds great !

Hi Guys, I'm brand new to this forum. I actually found it on AcuraZine.com. On New Years Day I bought a 2007 Acura TL Type S (Silver) with the ELS System in it. I have about 80-90 DVD Audio/DTS discs at home. It's great to now be able to use them in the car too!

Hi Guys, I'm brand new to this forum. I actually found it on AcuraZine.com. On New Years Day I bought a 2007 Acura TL Type S (Silver) with the ELS System in it. I have about 80-90 DVD Audio/DTS discs at home. It's great to now be able to use them in the car too!

Great! Welcome to the forum. Are these all store bought or home made discs? Sounds like you have a great collection either way. :smokin

What year, make and model of car: 2002 Honda Accord DX (the no-frills model)

Did you install it yourself (if not factory installed): Local installers, my choice of head unit and speakers, their choice of amps.

What surround formats can you play: DVD-Video, DTS, SACD, DPLII

How would you rate the system, and would you recommend it to others: I have a Sony MEX-DEV2000 feeding three amps: a bridged Denon for an Alpine center speaker mounted in the 2nd DIN space; a Kenwood powering a basic JL Audio 10" sub, and an Alpine feeding four Boston Acoustics. I would recommend it, but if I had to do it over, I'd have selected an Alpine Theater Amp because it would have eliminated the need for a separate center channel amp.

Year, make, model: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 w/Tech

Factory installed: Lexicon Logic 7 Discrete Sound System (7.1 channel) with SEVENTEEN!! speakers.

Formats: CD, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, MP3, Video CD and compatible formats, including PCM, Dolby® Digital, and DTS®.

Link to speaker placement diagram: http://hyundai.lexicon.com/system.aspx

Btw, until having this car with the Lexicon I had never heard of DVD-A. Then I bought the Love disc...
After hearing mine, my dealer now uses it to demo the sound system.
Great site, thanks for being here!

Welcome to the forum!!! Once you get hooked on surround sound it's hard to go back, like popping the pill on the Matrix....I'm jealous about the Hyundai Genesis. I've been eyeing that one myself, hope to get one sometime this year. Please give us a review of the speaker system and it's surround capabilities.

Welcome to the forum!!! Once you get hooked on surround sound it's hard to go back, like popping the pill on the Matrix....I'm jealous about the Hyundai Genesis. I've been eyeing that one myself, hope to get one sometime this year. Please give us a review of the speaker system and it's surround capabilities.

Thanks for the welcome, though it seems I posted too impulsively. I didn't see the other MA topic in which Cliffbig already described the Lex in detail. Not sure I can add anything intelligent to what he posted back in September.
One thing I DO know is that you're right: I find it difficult to listen to anything other than surround in my Genesis. Sigh.

Oops, never saw this thread. Yes, i've had mobile DVD-Audio (and DTS) since owning the Infiniti M35X three years ago. As a longtime fan of mch hirez (hundreds of SACD's/DVD-A's, own my ninth SACD and/or universal player) it played huge into my automobile selection process. My lease runs out in 120 days. I will see whats out there but assume I'm still "stuck" (life is tough) with Infiniti, Acura with true DVD-Audio or SACD factory-installed, ?? Any others? Thx
Ted

Year, make, model: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 w/Tech

Factory installed: Lexicon Logic 7 Discrete Sound System (7.1 channel) with SEVENTEEN!! speakers.

Formats: CD, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, MP3, Video CD and compatible formats, including PCM, Dolby® Digital, and DTS®.

Link to speaker placement diagram: http://hyundai.lexicon.com/system.aspx

Btw, until having this car with the Lexicon I had never heard of DVD-A. Then I bought the Love disc...
After hearing mine, my dealer now uses it to demo the sound system.
Great site, thanks for being here!

Hi,

I am expecting my Genesis 4.6 w. Tech in about 4 weeks.
Does the system play SACD?
Is it awesome? LOL The dealership did not have a hi-end system for me to hear...
/\/\

Hi,

I am expecting my Genesis 4.6 w. Tech in about 4 weeks.
Does the system play SACD?
Is it awesome? LOL The dealership did not have a hi-end system for me to hear...
/\/\

Alas, no SACD. Which means that my local Fry's shelves remain stocked while the DVD-A section is nearly depleted.
And yes, it's awesome! The best sound system I've ever had, mobile or otherwise.
Enjoy!

Thanks for adding to the already unbearable excitement! :D

Well, you COULD always take your favorite DVD-A to a different dealer and take a "test listen", making it clear that you aren't buying today, only doing 'research'.

Oh wait. That would only ADD to your agony, right?;)

Well, you COULD always take your favorite DVD-A to a different dealer and take a "test listen", making it clear that you aren't buying today, only doing 'research'.

Oh wait. That would only ADD to your agony, right?;)

On the other hand, if you were to go into a dealership and tell them you were only doing "research", they might just show you the way out. :eek:

I received a MEX-DV2000 for last Xmas but haven't gotten around to installing it yet. I'll probably go with only the low-rez 4-speaker setup option for now until I get some new wheels in a year or two. Anybody know if there is a region unlock code for this model, as I have some import DTS 96/24 DVDs I'd like to play?

What year, make and model of car: 2008 Acura TL

Did you install it yourself: Nope - Factory Job - Panasonic ELS

What surround formats can you play: DVD-A, DTS, CD, Mp3

How would you rate the system, and would you recommend it to others: I was skeptical at first, I mean we're dealing with a car systems here, road noise, wind noise etc. I have been impressed. Also got me kick started to upgrade the system for the house.

The Bose system in the Ferrari 612 Scaglietta, plays SACD's, DVD Audio, CD's, MP3's, etc.

What year, make and model of car: 2009 Acura TSX

Did you install it yourself (if not factory installed): Factory

What surround formats can you play: DVD-A, DTS

How would you rate the system, and would you recommend it to others: Yes - very impressed with it.

I bought my new surround car audio just last week so I thought I can add my system

Car system: JVC KD-AVX33

What year, make and model of car: 2006 Citroen C1 (my car is very small :D)

Did you install it yourself: Yes!

What surround formats can you play:
DVD-A/V, DTS 96/24, Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro-Logic II

I bought this unit used, and installed it just a week ago. I upgraded from a standard 4 channels stereo receiver. The ability to play surround sound, especially DVD-A's, in the car is a great jump, in term of quality.

This JVC unit has a great sound. So far, I have set the unit in 4.0 (luckily, my rear speakers are full range, and the bass sound is great on some discs). I'm planning to upgrade, this summer, to a full 5.1 setup in my car, as this JVC unit has many outputs, making it easy yo upgrade to whatever you can imagine.

Now, I'm moving in surround...:banana:

Back