Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  46
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 176 to 190 of 190

Thread: ROLL CALL: Who has surround sound in their car(s)?

  1. #176
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    7
    Points
    3,826
    Level
    39
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 124
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: ROLL CALL: Who has surround sound in their car(s)?

    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    I'd be curious to know if your Audi really plays DVD-Video. It's a surprise to me that a new car is playing DVD-Audio - hell, it's a surprise that a new car still is playing discs!
    I did a more careful check with a few different discs. It plays DVD-Videos, not DVD-Audios. Sorry for the error.

  2. #177
    600 Club - QQ All Star elroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    606
    Points
    14,247
    Level
    77
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: ROLL CALL: Who has surround sound in their car(s)?

    Quote Originally Posted by svtmike View Post
    I did a more careful check with a few different discs. It plays DVD-Videos, not DVD-Audios. Sorry for the error.
    No problem, thanks for checking. Saved me $37K!

  3. Likes timbre4, JonUrban liked this post
  4. #178
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    7
    Points
    3,826
    Level
    39
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 124
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: ROLL CALL: Who has surround sound in their car(s)?

    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    No problem, thanks for checking. Saved me $37K!
    I may have saved you more than that... you have to move up from the base model to get the B&O sound system.

  5. Likes JonUrban liked this post
  6. #179
    700 Club - QQ All Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    727
    Points
    7,329
    Level
    56
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: ROLL CALL: Who has surround sound in their car(s)?

    Phantom center! I corrected a problem with my JVC installation. Moved it from a '99 Camry to '06 Camry with JBL amp. With the JVC as only a head unit I could mix center with L/R. Made a passive sum mixer/adapter with four 10K resistors. Now I can hear Andy Partridge without digging out the remote and selecting DTS. Sounds great. A little bass heavy but that's how the car/amp/speakers always sounded. I might even add a sub (after I get the rack-and-pinion replaced but that's another story).

  7. #180
    600 Club - QQ All Star PodCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Posts
    676
    Points
    15,644
    Level
    80
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 206
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: ROLL CALL: Who has surround sound in their car(s)?

    Never even occurred to me that I wouldn't be able to play DVD video music discs in the car because of the restriction on playing video while driving. So that's (really) why DVD-A was developed.
    😺

  8. #181
    Senior Member bayards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    246
    Points
    12,563
    Level
    73
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 287
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Blog entryTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: ROLL CALL: Who has surround sound in their car(s)?

    I did in 1975. A Fiat 850 with 8 track quad.

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Silver Greyhound....see you in the air...

  9. #182
    Hi-Res Moderator rtbluray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Middle TN
    Posts
    6,358
    Points
    74,987
    Level
    100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Blog entryCreated Album picturesTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: ROLL CALL: Who has surround sound in their car(s)?



    I don't know how I end up so lucky in this life, but I'm happy to say that I am now the proud owner of this 2014 Acura ILX that features the ELS 5.1 DVDA system!
    Oh man, I'm gonna have some fun listening and driving experiences in this automobile!




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Surround yourself with the best.

    Coming soon in 2017: "Songs from the Wood" (Jethro Tull); "Misplaced Childhood" (Marillion); "Eye in the Sky" (The Alan Parsons Project) and "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"

  10. #183
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    burnaby bc canada
    Posts
    1,359
    Points
    27,084
    Level
    97
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 266
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second ClassSocial25000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: ROLL CALL: Who has surround sound in their car(s)?

    Quote Originally Posted by rtbluray View Post


    I don't know how I end up so lucky in this life, but I'm happy to say that I am now the proud owner of this 2014 Acura ILX that features the ELS 5.1 DVDA system!
    Oh man, I'm gonna have some fun listening and driving experiences in this automobile!




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ryan, thats awesome, I love my 2013 ILX for surround so you should be in for some great listening while driving around .
    They upgraded the subwoofer and added better sound proofing from the introductory year that I have so good choice in model year that you bought.
    Welcome to the club.

  11. Likes JanBakker, rtbluray liked this post
  12. #184
    800 Club - QQ All Star jaybird100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Posts
    897
    Points
    10,696
    Level
    68
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 154
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: ROLL CALL: Who has surround sound in their car(s)?

    Has anyone else had the idea of using a Surround Master in a car system? I haven't done it, but after looking over the connections on the rear of the unit, it seems it wouldn't be a hard thing at all to do.
    Give me surround or give me silence!

  13. #185
    Senior Member quattroatl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    257
    Points
    6,520
    Level
    52
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: ROLL CALL: Who has surround sound in their car(s)?

    2006 Acura RL here. I much prefer the ELS Surround system to the Bose that I have, but I can't complain too much!

  14. Likes JanBakker, rtbluray, JonUrban liked this post
  15. #186
    300 Club - QQ All Star surroundophile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    330
    Points
    12,855
    Level
    74
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 395
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: ROLL CALL: Who has surround sound in their car(s)?

    Quote Originally Posted by jaybird100 View Post
    Has anyone else had the idea of using a Surround Master in a car system? I haven't done it, but after looking over the connections on the rear of the unit, it seems it wouldn't be a hard thing at all to do.
    Should work. You would just need a way to convert the vehicle's 12 vdc to 120 vac.
    I had a Tate unit in my vehicle in the 80's and 90's. I had no problems with it. Fosgate actually provided a factory modification for a 12 vdc input.

  16. #187
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    68
    Points
    5,459
    Level
    47
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: ROLL CALL: Who has surround sound in their car(s)?

    So, I've had a Panasonic touchscreen DVD 5.1 HU in my car for the past year. I had a JVC before and a Sony before that that got stolen. The Sony was the best at reading discs, it was the MEX-DV2200. Some asshole stole it out of my car one night when I forgot to lock it. Since then I've been dealing with a deck that refuses to play anything but pristine discs. Like, can't play through a fingerprint.

    So I fought back. I installed a 4-channel amp alongside the sub and center amp I have, and set up a netbook with Kodi to play 5.1 FLAC and WAV, and even DVD ISO files! It's really nice because it sounds just as good with a Sound Blaster 5.1 USB card, and I don't have to convert files to DTS WAV anymore.

    I have a Griffin Powermate I bought on a whim a while back, and I use that as a volume control and sleep function. I have a VGA-to-composite adapter on the way so I can display the laptop screen on my deck. For now, I have a Wifi OBD2 adapter that makes its own network that I connect the netbook and my phone to, and I use my phone to control Kodi -- the netbook lives under my seat and I never have to touch it.

    Some screenshots and pics of the setup. Wiring is not pictured as it's still kind of a preliminary rats nest as I finesse the setup. I have the deck wired inline so I still have FM radio and can play DVD on it as well. I set Kodi up so I can AirPlay audio to it as well. Very cool stuff.

    https://imgur.com/a/hepEv

  17. Thanks timbre4, sukothai, JonUrban thanked for this post
  18. #188
    Member sjcorne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    45
    Points
    5,996
    Level
    50
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 154
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: ROLL CALL: Who has surround sound in their car(s)?

    2016 TLX w/ ELS Studio (DTS-CD)

    I know many have said the old system with DVD-A was better, but I only had PLII before this (2013 TL) and used to make LT/RT foldowns of DVD-As and SACDs with oppo downmix for the car, so experiencing discrete surround in the car for the first time was incredible. Since then I've been making DTS conversions of most material (DVD-A/V, BDA) with DVD Audio Extractor but have resorted to Creative DTS-610 and Phillips cd recorder for SACD and CD-4.

  19. Thanks JonUrban thanked for this post
    Likes elroy liked this post
  20. #189
    Senior Member par4ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NW Ontario
    Posts
    226
    Points
    6,585
    Level
    53
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 165
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: ROLL CALL: Who has surround sound in their car(s)?

    Quote Originally Posted by jaybird100 View Post
    Has anyone else had the idea of using a Surround Master in a car system?

    I haven't done it, but after looking over the connections on the rear of the unit, it seems it wouldn't be a hard thing at all to do.
    Although I don't have one yet, I checked the web site and the Surround Master runs on 9V DC. You just have to drop the cars 12V (14.4 while running) to 9V. A 7809 3-terminal regulator should work fine, you might be able to find a commercial unit to supply the right voltage just make sure that it can handle the Surrounds Masters current requirement of 500mA.
    Likewise car units such as the Fosgate Gavotte and Rocktron CSA12 can be used at home by supplying 12Vdc to the unit.

  21. #190
    500 Club - QQ All Star
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    detroit, michigan.usa
    Posts
    531
    Points
    7,014
    Level
    55
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranRecommendation Second Class5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: ROLL CALL: Who has surround sound in their car(s)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pibroch View Post
    So, I've had a Panasonic touchscreen DVD 5.1 HU in my car for the past year. I had a JVC before and a Sony before that that got stolen. The Sony was the best at reading discs, it was the MEX-DV2200. Some asshole stole it out of my car one night when I forgot to lock it. Since then I've been dealing with a deck that refuses to play anything but pristine discs. Like, can't play through a fingerprint.

    So I fought back. I installed a 4-channel amp alongside the sub and center amp I have, and set up a netbook with Kodi to play 5.1 FLAC and WAV, and even DVD ISO files! It's really nice because it sounds just as good with a Sound Blaster 5.1 USB card, and I don't have to convert files to DTS WAV anymore.

    I have a Griffin Powermate I bought on a whim a while back, and I use that as a volume control and sleep function. I have a VGA-to-composite adapter on the way so I can display the laptop screen on my deck. For now, I have a Wifi OBD2 adapter that makes its own network that I connect the netbook and my phone to, and I use my phone to control Kodi -- the netbook lives under my seat and I never have to touch it.

    Some screenshots and pics of the setup. Wiring is not pictured as it's still kind of a preliminary rats nest as I finesse the setup. I have the deck wired inline so I still have FM radio and can play DVD on it as well. I set Kodi up so I can AirPlay audio to it as well. Very cool stuff.

    https://imgur.com/a/hepEv
    Really. Really interesting. Unfortunately for whatever reason I can't access your pic. How do you handle switching from your headunit as source to your netbook as audio source?

  22. Likes timbre4 liked this post
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •