CD-4 Cartridge For A Dual 1229Q

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim M

Hi guys. I am just getting into setting up a quad system so I am going to have a lot of newbie questions.

What cartridge would you recommend for CD-4 playback for a Dual 1229Q? The Q model was wired for quad. It does not have to be the most expensive cartridge but I want something that sounds good. Looking to spend $100 to $200. Maybe to $300 if the bang for the buck is there for this turntable. I prefer something currently available but am willing to spend some time on the auction site.
I presently have a Shure V15 Type III and a Type IV that I like the sound of. Both are ready for a new stylus and I am thinking of the JICO sas series. Are these suitable for CD-4, marginal, or leave them for stereo?

For quad I have the Dual 1229Q TT, a Marantz 4270 Receiver, a Marantz 4300 on the way, and a Marantz CD-400B demodulator. I still need to pick up the plug in SQA decoder for the receiver.
Jim

Try Ed Saunders. He has reasonable cartridges. Also, you might want to check the Bay for some quadraphonic CD-4 compatible cartridges.

MTGC (Michael)

Hi,

I have a Dual 1225, which like your 1229Q is also wired for cd-4.
I am using it with a Grado blue prestige cartridge and stylus. It decodes perfectly. I took the setup to QuadBobs and he tried it out with several known difficult cd-4 records. Each time, this setup was able to decode the carrier signal.
So in short, I would reccomend a Grado cartridge to you, it is in your price range.

Jeff

Thanks guys
Please keep the suggestions coming
I have been searching but most of the posts are several years old. I don't know how current the info is.
Here are some more subjective questions.

Is the Audio Technica AT331LP still a good choice?
I can pick up a genuine new cartridge / stylus for about $160.

How does it compare to the AT15sa?
Genuine replacement stylus is available for about $100.
Still would need a cartridge though.

How are the various Ortofon compared to the AT's?

mtgc - I have heard mixed results on the Saunders cartridge. Also heard mention it was a bit 'bright'.

jefe1 - I have also heard mixed results on the Grado cartridges. Things like the humming problems tend to make me shy away. There are enough variables in CD-4 cartridges as it is.

Uh - Not sure if i am missing something but that link just takes me back to this thread.
I know this has been discussed numerous times but a lot of the info is several years old.

Just my opinion.
1) I have a Audio Technica AT440ML and works fine for CD-4.
the current version is AT440MLx - search around, can find in for $90.00 USD
The AT331LP is no longer available and cost less that $160 when it was available.
I think the Microline stylus is closer to shibata than the linear contact.
AT331LP does work ok for CD-4 in my setup.
AT15Sa is very good, you should be happy with one if you find one.
The records were cut with the intention of using a shibata stylus, anything that
is not a shibata is not ideal (just my opinion). So I went with a AT15Sa and
it works better that anything else I've tried. No experience with ortofon.
Eliptical grado did not work for me, it lights the red light but does not decode well.

Vinylguy4

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input.
The window of opportunity was there so I went ahead and pulled the trigger for a genuine NOS AT331LP cartridge / stylus @ $160
Also a genuine NOS stylus for an AT15Sa @ $100. Hopefully I can find a good cartridge to match the AT15Sa stylus for a decent price.
Since they are new, genuine, no longer available, and have a good track record, I think I can always get my money back for either one on the auction site if need be. Other people seem to have had very good results in their systems with both of these.
We shall see.
Jim

Thanks Phydo. I had not seen that thread before.
That thread is a couple of years old but brings up some good points.
Just because a cartridge works good for CD-4 does not mean it will be good for SQ.
Sounds like time for more research. Is there a cartridge that works well for CD-4 and SQ? Should you have, or do you need, separate cartridges to optimize each? What are the tradeoffs? I'll have to do some reading but it seems like there is some good food for discussion that is worthy of new threads.
Jim

Jim:

Perhaps the "Quadfather", "Army of Quad", or one of the guys that are/were heavy into vinyl will chime in. My understanding is just about any quality stylus/cartridge combo will extract QS/SQ from a matrix encoded record.

Justin

I've been using the AT 440ML for CD-4, SQ, & stereo. I have a 1229Q TT.

I just sent my non-working 1229Q off to Bill Neumann at fixmydual.com. He has looked my turntable over and all it needs will be covered under his standard (but very extensive) rebuild for $150 +$28 in return shipping. I don't know how he does it so cheaply. Anyway, Bill is installing the AT440MLB that I previously had on my Rega RP1 to play CD-4. That actually worked OK, but I always wanted the Dual for a period match to my QRX999, so now the Rega is back to a Denon DL110 and hooked up to my "new" stereo. I will report back how the Dual/AT combo works when I get it back. Good to see the AT440 cart is working well on another 1229Q.

Back