HiRez Poll No Man - TOGETHER WE'RE STRANGER [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of No Man - TOGETHER WE'RE STRANGER

• Total voters
Neil, You are teasing us again. any idea of a release date credit card armed and ready to pay !!!

I know - what a rotten sod!
No idea at all on release date as yet.
Still waiting for all the assets, so it's not going to be for a while yet.
As soon as I have full details, I will announce in the DVD-A discussion forum.

Listening to this great album, very good for Sunday morning or late evenjng listens.

For those who want to hear some embryonic stuff that ended up on ths album. i can recommend Bass Communion II/III. On this double cd the track Drugged III is included, 17 minutes long. Partly edited and polished, this ended up as the start of the Together album. The Bass Communion album has recently been rereleased by Tonefloat.

Just bought this for $11.88 usd delivered, which was too much. I gave it a six. Probably a 9 for the sound quality and the mix, but I have to overweight it for the lack of music to my taste. For me it is one word: Boring. I can handle mellow, but it is too sparse. Not enough layers, nor changes in tempo to make up for the slow tempo of all the songs. I listened to all the songs, then one more time trying to pick a favorite track. None stood out as one I would want to replay.

Been revisiting some of Steven Wilson's past work in light of the new release of "Hand. Cannot. Erase", and so this seemed like a good record to revisit today.

It begins with noise, which then subsides into more peaceful, tranquil electronic sounds, in other words, sounds that you would typically expect to hear on a no-man album. Tim's voice is very much to the forefront, while Steven's guitars and keys envelop you.
Track 2 is a classic by no-man's standards. "All the Blue Changes" is one that has grown over the years with the few live performances that no-man have undertaken, and it's one of my favorites. The mellotron choirs on this track are particularly effective in surround.
This track then tails off into "The City in a Hundred Ways", complete with immersive woodwinds setting the mood for "Things I Want to Tell You", another atmospheric track with Tim Bowness' vocals very upfront and centered, surrounded by a sea of sounds and effects.
Next up is "Photographs in Black and White", another beautiful ballad. (There aren't many fast, uptempo songs on this album if you haven't already realized that yet). You'll hear a lovely clarinet solo come up behind you in the surround channels.
Then we have "Back When You Were Beautiful", complete with the usual no-man instrumentation and arrangements, plus banjo!
The last song on the album "The Break-Up For Real" is not one of my favorite mixes, but it is one of my favorite no-man songs. I much prefer the Drum mix version of this track included as a bonus. It has all of the things I enjoy about the surround mix of the original version, but with drums. It's quite a welcome addition to a mostly drum-less album. (By the way, does anyone else feel like the woodwinds in this track remind them of "I Talk to the Wind" by King Crimson?)

I gave this release a '10' at the time, but I might bump it down to a '9' if I had to vote again. The material is just not quite up to par with a lot of Steven Wilson's other albums. That said, it still comes recommended if you can find it. :)

I am about to pick this one up, just a quickey: there are multiple releases on discogs, with different information regarding dts/dvda etc, but no matter what release I choose, be it Snapper or Kscope, the audio material is the same? Just different packaging I suppose.

I am about to pick this one up, just a quickey: there are multiple releases on discogs, with different information regarding dts/dvda etc, but no matter what release I choose, be it Snapper or Kscope, the audio material is the same? Just different packaging I suppose.

Yes, any edition you find that has a DVD included will be the same.
The only difference between the Snapper and Kscope editions is the packaging.
The Kscope edition comes in a jewel case, while the Snapper edition comes in a digipack.

:)

Been looking forward to this one, finally gave it a listen, here's some thoughts. :)

This is nothing I'd really ever expect to come out of Steven Wilson's catalogue. Someone on rateyourmusic said it best, it's like Slowdive's Pygmalion meets Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden. Unfortunately, Spirit of Eden is basically this album but worlds better and kind of did the same vibe of this record before this one actually came out, but I digress. Really any post-rock talk talk release is kind of setting a impossibly high bar for music like this so saying that Spirit of Eden is a better record isn't surprising. Most would probably say Pygmalion is a better record too, but I find it to be rather inconsistent. Anyways enough babble about how it compares to other releases, how good is the music that's actually here?

To answer that question, it's great. Surprisingly emotive Ambient Pop with a nice bleak atmosphere and good songwriting to back it up. The vocals are good, not great, but good and are honestly very fitting for the vibe of this album. The tracks flow in and out very nicely and the transitions are stellar. "All the Blue Changes" is definitely the highlight here. It's got an amazing progression and climax and is definitely something I will be coming back to. The first track is great too. I find the last track on this thing, "The Break-up for Real" to be kind of dissappointing though. It doesn't need to be there and feels like filler more than anything else.

Mix wise, this thing is of course incredible. I mean, it's a Steven Wilson 5.1 mix, he never misses. It's very discrete while never sounding unbalanced, and I found the mix to be surprisingly experimental on this one, more so than other releases I'd say. I think the prime example of this is the track "The City in a Hundred Ways". The saxaphone slides from one speaker to another, which is pretty risky but came out very nice in my opinion. Steven Wilson has a incredible ability to mix and master his stuff always exceptionally well, and if anything this is one of the best examples of that. The 5.1 mix brings the atmosphere up to 11 and genuinely makes it a essential release in my collection.

This is great and all but it begs the question, do I reccomend this?

To a non surround music fan, eh, maybe? The main trouble with this release is that it's so similar to Talk Talk's "Spirit of Eden" and "Laughing Stock" and those releases are such incredible classics that it's nearly impossible to beat. Even other Post-rock/Ambient Pop classics such as Sigur Ros' releases kind of do the same thing as this album. I'd say if you aren't a surround music person but you enjoyed those releases this would be a good next pick, which in that case I can recommend this.

To a surround music fan, absolutely. There isn't really any competition (unfortunately) for this type of stuff in the 5.1 music world. I'm a lot more interested in this stuff than prog and classic rock releases, even though I definitely do appreciate some good ol' prog and some boomer music. The mix here is stellar and even if the music isn't quite at the top of the post-rock/ambient pop world, it's still definitely a great release and shouldn't be missed music wise.

I'm gonna give the music a 8 and the mix a 10 for a overall rating of a 9.

Back