SQ Decoding with Adobe Audition for New Converters - Start Here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, many people use another program that they're more comfortable with to record the record and then import the files in Adobe Audition. If you can get Vegas to do what the Adobe Audition scripts do, please let us know and post.
Vegas has its own scripting function, which I've never used, but there's a first time for everything. I still have to go through the Audition script step-by-step and see what it does.
I also create DVD-Audio discs with a DVD-Video layer that contains a Dolby Digital output. But keep in mind Dolby Digital is not the greatest sounding source for music because of all the compression that’s done to the sound by DD. I'm hoping to save for better tools where I can add DTS 24 bit / 96 kHz to the DVD-V layer instead.
Yes, Dolby Digital (AC-3) is compressed. But I was given an argument that DTS is also compressed. Is that true?

I noticed Surcode has three output formats, one of which is "compressed" and for use in DVD soundtracks. DVD Architect would not accept this format, though. I used the DTS WAV output from Surecode, which synched with video, but it produced brief white noise when jumping from chapter to chapter. Any recommendations on DVD authoring software that truly accepts DTS?

Yes, Dolby Digital (AC-3) is compressed. But I was given an argument that DTS is also compressed. Is that true?

It is true that DTS is also compressed - There Is A Better Technical way of putting it with info about bit rates - but DTS sounds less compressed than Dolby Digital and is much better sounding for music. Check out a DVD-Audio disc that contains both DTS and DD to compare the 3 streams. There’s also the issue of "is one’s Dolby Digital encoded at 24 bit / 96 kHz or not," same with DTS streams for DVD. That can make for a much better listening experience. Someone with more knowledge can give the details better. But the info is in the threads here, I believe.

I noticed Surcode has three output formats, one of which is "compressed" and for use in DVD soundtracks. DVD Architect would not accept this format, though. I used the DTS WAV output from Surecode, which synched with video, but it produced brief white noise when jumping from chapter to chapter. Any recommendations on DVD authoring software that truly accepts DTS?

I use “Music Standard” in Chrome for the DD. I know the DTS stream for DTS-CD's is at a differant rate than what is used for DVD's, if I'm not mistaken. I'm not sure what Surcode versions you're using or what you're doing with DVD Architect. But you might want to post the question in a new thread if no one answers you here as were starting to go a bit off topic. Thanks.

I don't really know if this step works on AA2.0 scripts, but you can try it:
when opening a script select "pause at dialogs" tag, so you will be able to see what these scripts are doing.
You just have to press ok to every operation the script does.
Just a caveat when doing this: For some of the dialogs shown (for example the window with the Center Channel Extractor), the settings shown do not reflect what was entered during the recording of the script.

At least, this applies for my setup here of AA2 and AA3, but I think it is a general bug with the the AA software.

Too bad, because one cannot "see" which settings were used during the recording of the script (at least for some of the windows).

Just a caveat when doing this: For some of the dialogs shown (for example the window with the Center Channel Extractor), the settings shown do not reflect what was entered during the recording of the script.

At least, this applies for my setup here of AA2 and AA3, but I think it is a general bug with the the AA software.

Too bad, because one cannot "see" which settings were used during the recording of the script (at least for some of the windows).

You're right, I tried it last night with AA2.0 and your script and I saw I was getting unexpected values during the executing of the passages.

You're right, I tried it last night with AA2.0 and your script and I saw I was getting unexpected values during the executing of the passages.

Would this still occur if the steps were done manually?

Is it possible for someone to show us a step by step guide to decode manually without using the scripts? Thanks.

Would this still occur if the steps were done manually?

Is it possible for someone to show us a step by step guide to decode manually without using the scripts? Thanks.
That's EXACTLY what I'm looking for - a step-by-step guide I could follow manually, or possibly use with Vegas or other tools.

If Andreas is ok he could do a guide as you said with the correct values.
Is Andreas the only person who can provide that info? Is he ill or something?

I am still tweaking the scripts (especially QS) with regard to decoding with the correct phase for the speaker feeds.

Some tests are ongoing, and I hope to get feedback from one member here. Before this is not fully solved, I do not want to put step-by-step guides online, when the script might be revised in a short while.

Andreas

I am still tweaking the scripts (especially QS) with regard to decoding with the correct phase for the speaker feeds.

Some tests are ongoing, and I hope to get feedback from one member here. Before this is not fully solved, I do not want to put step-by-step guides online, when the script might be revised in a short while.

Andreas
I imagine the experimentation will go on for quite a while. Would it be possible to get some type of guide pretty soon, even if it is incomplete? I may be able to participate in the testing, too. :phones

Looking forward to finally starting to work on converting my Quad LPs. !! Got Adobe Audition 1.5 and Discwelder Bronze and a Desktop that is primarily just open workspace! Now I guess it's just patience and following the documented rules!

Looking forward to finally starting to work on converting my Quad LPs. !! Got Adobe Audition 1.5 and Discwelder Bronze and a Desktop that is primarily just open workspace! Now I guess it's just patience and following the documented rules!

Good luck with your projects. You'll find doing these fun and rewarding. You can also create a "Stereo" SQ or QS DVD-A disc for archiving / playback through Quad decoders with the files used before AA decoding.

Let us know if any of us can help you with info.

Have fun doing them: I started doing SQ conversions and got a LOT of help from Old Quad Guy and Lucanu(who perfected the SQ script), it's great having such helpful forum fellows.
It has taken me awhile to perfect them (still am)....my advice, start by recording them in 96/24 (cause I didn't)...

Hello.

There is a problem with a web address:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...ighlight=adobe

apparently no longer exists. I get an error message "ERROR 404 - Page Not Found"

Can anybody help?

Can you tell us what post you found this at? I'm guessing this is the link:
PC Based SQ DECODING - ALMOST DONE!
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4633&highlight=adobe

This is the original link about the discovery of the scripts and an interesting read. Also, thanks to Lucanu, please take note there is a new SQ method that a lot of converters are using now:

A new SQ method!!!
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10456&highlight=method

Either way, you should get great results with the many scripts out there. Let us know if you need anything.

HELP!

OK. I followed the instructions closely. Everything seemed to go fine. So, after clicking "EXPORT", where did my six mono .wav files go? I expected them to appear in the multitrack view, but no such luck. I want to hear each individually.

Back