SQ Decoding with Adobe Audition for New Converters - Start Here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HELP!

OK. I followed the instructions closely. Everything seemed to go fine. So, after clicking "EXPORT", where did my six mono .wav files go? I expected them to appear in the multitrack view, but no such luck. I want to hear each individually.

In "Multitrack view" mode you have to import the 4 wav L/R front and back files (there is no information on the center and LFE wavs) from where you exported them from. Then if you want to play the files in Quad on your home computer (if you have Multi-channel card and speakers) you assign the channels to their proper place using "Surround Encoder" under "view" in "Multitrack view" mode.

Thank you for the previous information. I have my found my 4 mono .wav files and placed them where I want them. :)

The next problem I just discovered is that the scripts are not being read. I have downloaded four different scripts; the two .zip files from POST 1 (I am using the 44.1 Hz script), the literal from POST 14 (which was place on a NOTEPAD and downloaded into the SCRIPT file), and a second .zip file from POST 19. They have been placed in the Abode 1.5 SCRIPT file. Regarding the one from POST 19, I made the changes recommended with one deivation; my SQ files are in my external 1 TB hard drive (K:) under the name "SQ tracks". So, the I:'s were changed to K: and the "SQ"s were changed to "SQ tracks".

Regardless which script I try, none of the scripts are being activated. I am forgetting/missing something or there is a step missing. In each case, I openned the script, highlighted it, and then I click "RUN SCRIPT". The next second later, a small window appears with the error message: "ATTENTION: SCRIPT STOPPED". I have never worked with scripts before, so I have no clue what the problem could be.

One last thing, I noticed on one of the recordings I have been practicing with, after I change the resolution to 32 bit, there is some crackling, almost static-like, sound in the recording; something I never noticed in the original. The original is not a record, but a CD that I was told had the Quad information intact (Martinu: Symphony #4, Neumann/Czech PO, Supraphon SQ). I would have used the record I have of the same performance, but I thought the CD would sound cleaner. At any rate, is this something to expect with increasing the resolution? Since I am using headphones, I suppose it could be the connection on my computer; I know it is not my headphones. Any thoughts? Can I do this whole process without up-ing the resolution (if that is the problem)? I do notice a dramatic jump in the graph of the files in the EDIT view.

Sorry if this is wordy. I tried to be as complete as possible with the info.

Thanks for your time and patience.

Glen

Thank you for the previous information. I have my found my 4 mono .wav files and placed them where I want them. :)

The next problem I just discovered is that the scripts are not being read. I have downloaded four different scripts; the two .zip files from POST 1 (I am using the 44.1 Hz script), the literal from POST 14 (which was place on a NOTEPAD and downloaded into the SCRIPT file), and a second .zip file from POST 19. They have been placed in the Abode 1.5 SCRIPT file. Regarding the one from POST 19, I made the changes recommended with one deivation; my SQ files are in my external 1 TB hard drive (K:) under the name "SQ tracks". So, the I:'s were changed to K: and the "SQ"s were changed to "SQ tracks".

Regardless which script I try, none of the scripts are being activated. I am forgetting/missing something or there is a step missing. In each case, I openned the script, highlighted it, and then I click "RUN SCRIPT". The next second later, a small window appears with the error message: "ATTENTION: SCRIPT STOPPED". I have never worked with scripts before, so I have no clue what the problem could be.

One last thing, I noticed on one of the recordings I have been practicing with, after I change the resolution to 32 bit, there is some crackling, almost static-like, sound in the recording; something I never noticed in the original. The original is not a record, but a CD that I was told had the Quad information intact (Martinu: Symphony #4, Neumann/Czech PO, Supraphon SQ). I would have used the record I have of the same performance, but I thought the CD would sound cleaner. At any rate, is this something to expect with increasing the resolution? Since I am using headphones, I suppose it could be the connection on my computer; I know it is not my headphones. Any thoughts? Can I do this whole process without up-ing the resolution (if that is the problem)? I do notice a dramatic jump in the graph of the files in the EDIT view.

Sorry if this is wordy. I tried to be as complete as possible with the info.

Thanks for your time and patience.

Glen

Instead of up converting leave the files at 16 bit / 44.1 kHz and try making your DVD-A at that resolution or try making a DTS-CD if the files are 16 bit / 44.1 kHz. Perhaps the 4 files did not get converted if as you say the scripts did not work and you got an error message.

The scripts should work. I don’t think you need even do anything with them. Perhaps something is being lost by putting them in note pad, than back into a script file. Or when in note pad, something important is being changed or erased. So try leaving the scripts as is and see if that works. If all else fails start all over again from the beginning, taking notes what you’re doing exactly, step by step. The instructions at post #1 are fairly straightforward and should work, but not everyone’s computer is the same and it can be difficult attempting to replicate how it was done on another person’s computer. BTW, the OS I used for Audition 1.5 was Windows XP service pack 2.

Here, just throw these 2 scripts into your "Scirpts folder" for AA 1.5 in the Adobe Audition folder under "programs" on your drive. You need not do anything else (except follow instructions), they've worked for me. Good luck.

One is titled: SQdecoding_7_AK_44.1.scp. Use that one for CD at 16/44.1. The other "SQdecoding_7_AK_96kHz.scp" can be used for 24 bit / 96 kHz. Also, using these scripts without changing them, you'll need to keep the files on your "C" drive in a folder called "SQ." For instance for one file it will be and should go like this: c:\SQ\rear.wav

Attachments

• OQG_Scripts_AA1.5.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 132

This could be the problem, that: "SQ"s were changed to "SQ tracks". And unless there was a folder called "SQ Tracks" in the right place the script may not work when modified. Try keeping the name SQ and there could also be an issue when trying to get files to go to a different drive. Try keeping everything on the same drive if possible.

OK. I think what I am going to have to do is scratch everything and start over. I will work from the C: drive. Once done, I should be able to transfer them to the K: drive for storage. Can you recommend a software for transferring to disc. I have Roxio Creator 8 but I don't think I can do DVD-A or DTS CDs with it.

Thank you. Success...of sorts. I say "of sorts" primarily because I believe it is my source material that is partly to blame for the less than satisfactory results.

First, I started from scratch and the scripts did do their job. So, the processing procedures seem to be a winner. Excellent!

As to the results, the CD that was suppose to have the Quad information intact apparently didn't. The sound coming out of the surrounds is the same as coming from the mains, or maybe that was the Eastern European idea of surround. At any rate, having the same coming from surrounds seems pointless.

As to the 2 SQ records, much better but still a little disappointing. As to the Columbia, the information in the Front/Left (F/L) was also coming out of the Right/Surround (R/S) and vise versa with the others. When I listened to them inidividually, I believe I understood about not being discreet. There was some "bleed-through" from the F/L while I was listening to the L/S. The same with the right side. Overall, not a very imaginative effort, but things were looking up.

Regarding the second SQ record (EMI/Capitol), much better success. The sound was much more specific. The surrounds had some of the orchestration and percussion effects (particularly a very loud and rather annoying glockenspiel) while the remainder of the orchestra and the vocal were from the mains. While there was some bleed-through, it was to a much lesser degree than the Columbia effort. One thing I noticed from this attempt, before I did the EXPORT and I was adjusting the track volumes, I noticed that the meter was showing sound from the center channel where as from the other attempts the meter showed no sound at all from the center and the LFE. I deleted the channel anyway; apparently to no detrimental affect. Any thoughts as to why that would happen?

You suggested a couple of programs I will be looking into to transfer these efforts to disc. Thanks, again, for all of your help and guidance.

One thing I noticed from this attempt, before I did the EXPORT and I was adjusting the track volumes, I noticed that the meter was showing sound from the center channel where as from the other attempts the meter showed no sound at all from the center and the LFE. I deleted the channel anyway; apparently to no detrimental affect. Any thoughts as to why that would happen?.

I'm glad you were able to get it to decode. I have no idea why there would be info on the center channel. Perhaps some one with more knowledge might chime in?

One thing I've noticed is that some SQ material will decode better than others. Many factors come into play, record pressings, turntables etc. So one needs to be patient and experiment with it. Try other scripts, decoding methods, equipment and sound cards if you like. There is also another way to decode SQ stuff:

A new SQ method!!!
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...0456-A-new-SQ-method!!!&highlight=sq+decoding

You might need Adobe Audition 2.0, I'm not sure if it works with AA 1.5. It's a little more complicated and you might want to post in the thread above for more info on how to do it. I've only had the time to decode one song using this method, but I really liked the results. I also like the results using AA 1.5 as well.

The script that is in post #18, is it the same 44.1 script that is in the zip file in post #1? Also, in post #23 you mention about recording using 24 bit/96 kHz. What software allows this? All of the software I have seen will only allow 16bit/44.1kHz. Any suggestions? Thanks.

...recording using 24 bit/96 kHz. What software allows this?
All of the software I have seen will only allow 16bit/44.1kHz. Any suggestions? Thanks.

You need a High Resolution sound interface in order to record in High Resolution.
As you've noticed, ordinary soundcards and/or breakout boxes are limited to 44.1/16.
Go to a recording or broadcasting supply house and pick up something like an Aja Blackmagic or some such.
After installation, whatever decent recording program you happen to have will then became aware of the capabilities of your sound capture device.
Simply choose the High Resolution settings on the recording program that are now available and begin recording.

The script that is in post #18, is it the same 44.1 script that is in the zip file in post #1? Also, in post #23 you mention about recording using 24 bit/96 kHz. What software allows this? All of the software I have seen will only allow 16bit/44.1kHz. Any suggestions? Thanks.

All Adobe Audition versions allow 24 bit/96 kHz recording depending on your sound card. See what your sound card will allow. Here is a sound card suggestion that works with Mac and Windows for not that much:

Audiophile 2496 - 4-In/4-Out Audio Card with MIDI and Digital I/O
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Audiophile2496.html

More sound card ideas for Mac/Windows: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...Surround-Sound-Infomation&p=110118#post110118

Adobe Audition only works with Windows though. There are AA scripts for versions 2.0 and 3.0 around here and there's the "new" method which decodes real well:

A new SQ method!!!
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?10456-A-new-SQ-method!!!

You can create DVD-Audio or DTS-CD discs using 16 bit/44.1 kHz if you want.

Here are the Adobe Audition 3 Kempfand Scripts for AA 3.0. Don't forget to use a text editor on the scripts to specify which drive you're using:

Attachments

• _ Audition_3_Scripts_-_kempfand.zip
    82.2 KB · Views: 168
Regarding the Audiophile 2496, have you ever used it for 4 channel input. If I read the site correctly, it should be possible. From the picture, though, it appears the unit has 2 pairs of RCA female analog connections (in and out) and a computer connection. So, I am having a hard time getting my head around how it does it; if it does.

Are you aware of any other cards that allow 4 channel input as well as 24 bit/96 kHz recording?

Thanks.

Regarding the Audiophile 2496, have you ever used it for 4 channel input. If I read the site correctly, it should be possible. From the picture, though, it appears the unit has 2 pairs of RCA female analog connections (in and out) and a computer connection. So, I am having a hard time getting my head around how it does it; if it does.

Are you aware of any other cards that allow 4 channel input as well as 24 bit/96 kHz recording?

Thanks.

You know, I'm not sure this works as a 4 in, 4 out surround card despite what it says. Let us look into this more. Anyone have this card?

Audiophile 2496 - 4-In/4-Out Audio Card with MIDI and Digital I/O
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Audiophile2496.html

Attachments

• Audiophile 2496.JPG
    Audiophile 2496.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 317
I don't have one but if I remember correctly this card will record stereo analog and stereo S/PDIF at the same time. You would probably have to send two channels analog through something like a DAT player or some sort of recording device that will output S/PDIF while connecting to the two analog inputs on the card itself. Not very convenient. I would recommend the MAudio 1010LT card. Nice card for not too much money ($249.00 or less). And it records 96/24 with no problem.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Delta1010LT.html

http://www.google.com/products/cata...og_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDgQ8wIwAg#

OK. So the Audiophile 2496 will not work since it appears one would be combining analog and digital signals. However, the 1010LT looks promising. I want to connect the analog outputs from my 4 channel soundboard, Quad 8-track, Quad reel, or Quad decoder to create the 4 mono wav to burn the DVD-A and DTS discs.

Anybody use the Delta 1010LT for the above purpose?

OK. So the Audiophile 2496 will not work since it appears one would be combining analog and digital signals. However, the 1010LT looks promising. I want to connect the analog outputs from my 4 channel soundboard, Quad 8-track, Quad reel, or Quad decoder to create the 4 mono wav to burn the DVD-A and DTS discs.

Anybody use the Delta 1010LT for the above purpose?

It has 8 inputs / 8 outputs, MIDI, etc. More than enough to hook up to 2 different Quad outputs into one's computer at the same time. Check Bob's google link above for reviews from buyers at different retailers.

Attachments

• Delta 1010LT.JPG
    Delta 1010LT.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 316
Input 1 & 2 are actually canon plugs which can be switched to be a mic or line input on the card itself. Once inside the computer that would be a pain so I went the next best route. I got a patch panel and a snake to patch in the things I want to the sound card.

I have a Q8 deck and a QR deck that can plug right into the patch panel. It was also "cheap" at about $100. I can also then patch anything into the card I want. Satellite, radio, DVD-A/SACD player etc. It really works out well.

The problem with the 1010 LT is that the indications for each channel is REALLY hard to read (it is molded into each plug) - especially with 50 year old eyes. This solution takes care of that.

By the way... I love this card. It's nice and quiet and works really well for doing quad conversions and even just recording regular old stereo too. It records anything from 8k to 96k at 24 bits.

Attachments

• rig.jpg
    rig.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 314
Nice and plenty of connections. I'm not following you about the "snake". I think I know what you mean but a little clarification would help. The panel connects into the analog connection? Do the connectors come with the card?

Thanks.

All my equipment is connected to the back side of the patch panel. The snake allows me to connect any of the equipment into the sound card with just a few moves of the plugs on the front.

All the way to left are the inputs for the sound card - next to those are my cd4 demod - next to the the outputs from the satellite and down at the other end is my DVDA player. If I pull those plugs out I can go into the back of my Q8 or reel deck. The snake has 8 color coded cords hat are held together with a casing so they stay neat. Just makes things easier. You can do the same thing with loose audio cables as well.

Back