Requesting Updates to the Dolby Surround Audio Discography

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Mark,

Am I missing something or do you have a separate listing for the discs, etc. that were Encoded using the HTS Shure Brothers matrix ?

I know that Intersound had many before switching to Dolby (or vice versa ), and the Spies cd on Telarc utilizes it. And for video .......SNL encoded programs with HTS in 89 through 90 .Consequently some of their DVD'S should contain the encode.

There may be other labels or cds as well. Anyways just thought I'd ask.

-fizzy:D

Mark,
Am I missing something or do you have a separate listing for the discs, etc. that were Encoded using the HTS Shure Brothers matrix ?
I know that Intersound had many before switching to Dolby (or vice versa ), and the Spies cd on Telarc utilizes it. And for video .......SNL encoded programs with HTS in 89 through 90 .Consequently some of their DVD'S should contain the encode.
There may be other labels or cds as well. Anyways just thought I'd ask.
-fizzy:D
HTS, Spatializer & Dolby Surround listings are at the Dolby Surround Recordings Discography http://www.surrounddiscography.com/dolby/dolbindx.htm. HTS and Spatializer were promoted as being compatible to be decoded by Dolby Surround and although Circle Surround was also promoted the same way, a separate discography was created since CS decoders were widely available at the time. I suppose a separate discography for HTS could be created since HTS decoders exist but at the time those discographies were created HTS decoders were not as widely available as Dolby and CS. The Circle Surround discography can be found here http://www.surrounddiscography.com/circle/circdisc.htm
I recorded SNL, Late Night, Etc. for years to get the music performances and build a video collection and always enjoyed the surround mixes from the later 80's on.

HTS, Spatializer & Dolby Surround listings are at the Dolby Surround Recordings Discography http://www.surrounddiscography.com/dolby/dolbindx.htm. HTS and Spatializer were promoted as being compatible to be decoded by Dolby Surround and although Circle Surround was also promoted the same way, a separate discography was created since CS decoders were widely available at the time. I suppose a separate discography for HTS could be created since HTS decoders exist but at the time those discographies were created HTS decoders were not as widely available as Dolby and CS. The Circle Surround discography can be found here http://www.surrounddiscography.com/circle/circdisc.htm
I recorded SNL, Late Night, Etc. for years to get the music performances and build a video collection and always enjoyed the surround mixes from the later 80's on.

I figured you might have them "blended" so to speak but thought it worth asking as I do have info on hand with HTS recordings, primarily "Intersound ".

I used to correspond quite a bit with their HQ years back.

Yes, I too used to record SNL on video and was surprised to see the" StereoSurround " logo one day in 88 or 89. So a big bonus I thought to have surround as well and yes, great musicians and peformances.

HTS was a short lived encoding system but they did manage to release a large number of recordings, fwiw

"Spatailizer" I also have info on , but from my best understanding it's not surround but an expansion of the front stereo soundfield,( although I did recieve conflicting info from time to time) . So I wonder about some of the Telarc discs that utilized that system without any of the surround matrix systems they did use . Such as those that utilized surround encoding by the likes of ;
Dolby, Circle , HTS, and RSS (Roland Surround Sound).

So if you wish, I could try and supply info relating to that system in the form of cds etc.
I'm just wondering how to relate this best for your surround discography.

-fizzy

I figured you might have them "blended" so to speak but thought it worth asking as I do have info on hand with HTS recordings, primarily "Intersound ".
I used to correspond quite a bit with their HQ years back.
Yes, I too used to record SNL on video and was surprised to see the" StereoSurround " logo one day in 88 or 89. So a big bonus I thought to have surround as well and yes, great musicians and peformances.
HTS was a short lived encoding system but they did manage to release a large number of recordings, fwiw
"Spatailizer" I also have info on , but from my best understanding it's not surround but an expansion of the front stereo soundfield,( although I did recieve conflicting info from time to time) . So I wonder about some of the Telarc discs that utilized that system without any of the surround matrix systems they did use . Such as those that utilized surround encoding by the likes of ;
Dolby, Circle , HTS, and RSS (Roland Surround Sound).

So if you wish, I could try and supply info relating to that system in the form of cds etc.
I'm just wondering how to relate this best for your surround discography.
-fizzy
I have a pile of intersound CD's but I am sure their are some I missed so any info you might have would be great. Better yet, let me just send you the HTML file and you can do the updates!
I transferred all the music performances I had and really enjoy listening to them over the years. Most have been uploaded on YouTube when I shared them years ago so a great place to view 20-30 year old rarities.
Spatailizer was a 2 channel enhancement that some firms marketed as compatible with Dolby surround but I was never a fan. Some of the Telarc disc are Spatailizer and other matrix, I do not recall the details right now but I thought their was visual differences on the cover with logos and names that you could tell which was which.
Anything you would like to contribute or do will be appreciated by more folks than you will ever know. Let me know what you would like to do.

Mark,
Working on the "Intersound" HTS listing that I have so please bear with me.

You have done justice though as I see many HTS discs listed in the popular discography.

In the meantime though, fwiw, I notice this disc is absent from your CS encodes . I used to have this cd and the liner notes indicated Circle Surround was used as well as Spatializer , so I thought I'd give you a heads up.

https://www.discogs.com/Junior-Wells-Keep-On-Steppin-The-Best-Of-Junior-Wells/release/2795229

-fizzy

Mark,
Working on the "Intersound" HTS listing that I have so please bear with me.
You have done justice though as I see many HTS discs listed in the popular discography.
In the meantime though, fwiw, I notice this disc is absent from your CS encodes . I used to have this cd and the liner notes indicated Circle Surround was used as well as Spatializer , so I thought I'd give you a heads up.
https://www.discogs.com/Junior-Wells-Keep-On-Steppin-The-Best-Of-Junior-Wells/release/2795229
-fizzy

Thanks Fizzy, I don't know why I missed that one as I have a copy. I appreciate the second set of eyes!

Apart from Shure's equipment for "HTS" I only know of one other.

Museatex had the decode in their receivers . (There may have been others , though ).

20171017_183116.jpg

Also a few pics I have of my book full of everything "HTS" (well.....everything I have that is) :D

20171017_182927.jpg20171017_182858.jpg20171017_183209.jpg

and a listing of Shure HTS backers and of course "Encoding Utilizers" , that I managed to extrapolate from a variety of sour es, mostly provided by Shure .

Interesting that you mention some DMP discs may be encoded via HTS .I thought I had read something somewheres some time back inthe 90's that they did utilize the HTS matrix as well as CS .

Also of note : I had read a couple disc reviews by respectable magazine editorial reviewers that Circle and HTS was somewhat compatible to SQ ??? (albiet 5ch )

Hope you can read this listing ;

20171017_183347.jpg

Also a few pics I have of my book full of everything "HTS" (well.....everything I have that is) :D
and a listing of Shure HTS backers and of course "Encoding Utilizers" , that I managed to extrapolate from a variety of sour es, mostly provided by Shure .
Interesting that you mention some DMP discs may be encoded via HTS .I thought I had read something somewheres some time back inthe 90's that they did utilize the HTS matrix as well as CS .
Also of note : I had read a couple disc reviews by respectable magazine editorial reviewers that Circle and HTS was somewhat compatible to SQ ??? (albiet 5ch )
Hope you can read this listing ;
Yep, I can read it. Warms my heart to see other folks saving info like that. Makes me feel I am not the only one!

The Ultimate CD Test Disc. Stereo and surround test and demo ESD-7059 (HTS) ESX Entertainment

1509551811267.jpg

you might have this one , but

ProArte CDX 017. Broadway Show Stoppers (HTS) various selections fr the ProArte catalogue.

The Aspects series ---all (HTS) intersound

1509552115502.jpg1509552173393.jpg

The lone Telarc HTS release.

a great disc btw . Don't know why I ever sold my cd. Cassette pic.

1509552358253.jpg

as far as your Classical listings go , I think you have the lion's share plus some in the Intersound/ProArte catalogue of HTS Encoded discs ,

So I'll keep perusing .

thanks,

fizzy

The lone Telarc HTS release.
a great disc btw . Don't know why I ever sold my cd. Cassette pic.
as far as your Classical listings go , I think you have the lion's share plus some in the Intersound/ProArte catalogue of HTS Encoded discs ,
So I'll keep perusing .
thanks,
fizzy

Thanks for doing some digging. It has been a while since I updated that page so your additions are welcome

Mark,

just like you I suppose , I also listened and recorded what I could from TV that was being demo'd in surround.

Here's a pic of my music collection in cassette (taken fr VHS HIFI and BETA HIFI) from broadcast shows of some very fine artists that appeared on SNL .

Would really love to get ahold of those shows on DVD from 88 to 96 intact..... and hold out hope Broadway Video will someday issue them.

FWIW HTS broadcast fr 88-90 or 91 , then Dolby Surround everafter.

20171028_200900.jpg

Mark, fwiw ;

McGill University Records recorded some of their discs in "NATURAL SURROUND SOUND" in the 90's , on cd for the most part.
Here's a link to some cds from discogs , and I do believe only the "7500xxx" series are Surround . Unfortunately only one disc (Nowell Noyell) supplies a back cover to indicate such .

They developed a surround matrix with a natural mic placing and state it's a compatible surround system similar to Dolby.

https://www.discogs.com/label/83944-McGill-University-Records

A little more info on those McGill records in surround.

This is one cd I have,

G●E●M●S -Before The Freeze McGill 750038-2 (Natural Surround Sound)

20171112_095552.jpg20171112_095537.jpg

and tech and engineering notes regarding the Surround process ;

20171112_095625.jpg20171112_095648.jpg

Back