About This Forum Section

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Anderson

Staff member
PURPOSE OF THE QUAD DISCOGRAPHY FORUM

I asked Jon to create this forum so folks could question or challenge current entries in the discographies or list missing items to be added to the discographies.

As an example, I recall some posts a few years ago questioning if the ABC quads were real or just a marketing ploy.

Or how about those ovation titles that came out in quad after the stereo version was issued?

The one benefit I saw of having the discography on line in 1995 was it opened discussion on items that were thought not to exist that actually did or titles we thought did exist and through a common consensus of the quad community determined that they did not.

I know of many titles that were test pressings, but have never made a list due to their rarity and lack of info (matrix numbers. etc.) or actual proof.

Years ago I had conversations with a fellow who worked for Fantasy records. He mentioned that JVC had a mastering lab above his office in California and that he has a test pressing copy of Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here in the CD-4 format.

My mission of the discography was to list documented facts to clear up confusions like does Pink Floyd - Animals really exist. I cannot tell you how many times I have seen it listed in record collecting guides for around $30. I would pay a lot more than that if it really existed.

I created the rumor page for topics like that and guess that Sgt. Pepper should be listed there.

Thanks for everyone’s input and look forward to more fun facts, questions and rumors. You could not find a more knowledgeable group of quad experts than here.

Welcome Mark. We are fortunate to have you here at QQ. For those who may not know, Mark's Discography is located at:

http://www.surrounddiscography.com/

This section of the forum will be run by Mark, and this is where you have the chance to interface with Mark with regard to additions, corrections, questions, and anything that has to do with the discography.

Please welcome Mark (who was already a member) as a new moderator.

Hello Mark! It's great that you're here doing updates and answering our questions. I have used your website for many years and value the information as a very important Quadraphonic resource.

Glad to see all this material! Some quick comments on the Q8 decks:

Panasonic
RS806US is a stereo only recorder; doesn't belong
RS845US is listed twice

Harman Kardon
8+ deck is MIA

Car Q8 decks

Lear Jet had another Q8 deck with AM/FM tuner and headphone jacks on the side. I owned one and have a picture to send to any email address provided.

Car Q8 decks

Lear Jet had another Q8 deck with AM/FM tuner and headphone jacks on the side. I owned one and have a picture to send to any email address provided.

Thanks for the info timbre4, my email is multichannel AT cox DOT net.

I always enjoy looking at ol' quad gear!

"Mark,

I didn't see the post with your address until today; here is the Lear Jet Q8 deck in my high school 1967 Mustang:

Thanks for all you've done! Tim

PS - BONUS: business cards from my 1975 visit to JVC CD-4 Cutting Center (RCA bldg on Sunset); also have equipment shots somewhere "

Hi Tim,

The ignition switch above the Q8 deck is worth the picture alone. Aaaahhh....what memories and a ashtray by it's side.
Not to far off from my pioneer Q8 under the Cougar's dash.

I recall a email I received in the late 90's from a guy who worked for fantasy recoreds that had an office below JVC's. He mentioned that he became good friends with the staff and got copies of test pressings they did in CD-4. One I recall that he mentioned was Pink floyds-Wish You Were Here that the band rejected.

I sold my couger a few years ago. I remember inviting a friend to an engineering society dinner and had him pick out a Q8 from the collection. He picked Jeff Beck-Blow by Blow. We through in the tape on the way and it sounded really muddy, pull it out and the tape had flipped and we were playing the back side. Thank god for the SACD when we got back to satisfy his craving.

It would be great if you could share your story of the visit to JVC

Attachments

• Q81timbre4.jpg
    Q81timbre4.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 418
  • timbre4A.JPG
    timbre4A.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 429
  • timbre4B.JPG
    timbre4B.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 428
Back