Harvey Mandel - Get Off In Chicago stereo + Quad

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinylguy4

701 Club - QQ All-Star
First, I want to thank Quad Inc. and Mark Anderson for the fantastic Quad discography. I use it OFTEN!!

from the discography
HARVEY MANDEL -
* Get Off in Chicago. Ovation OVQD-1415 (QS), Q-124 (QR), Q-8124
(Q8), OPL-3009 (QS) [Japan]
{The title above was released only in quad, no stereo version known}

I do have a stereo LP and a QS LP of Harvey Mandel - Get Off In Chicago.
I have listened to both and the mix is definitely different.
Record cover of OVQD 1415 says Sansui QS so does agree with the type of quad encoding.
Record cover of OV 1415 makes no mention of quadraphonic and definitely does not sound like it has any quad encoding.

So, I'd suggest the line stating released only in quad can be omitted.

Vinylguy4

Thanks for the info,
I found another Ovation title that was also listed in Quad Incorporated with the same statement that was stereo. The title had a release dates prior to QS matrix vinyl being released. So for some fun homework, it would be interesting to compare Ovation release dates compared to the release of the first QS release dates.

PAUL HORN -
And the Concert Ensemble. Ovation OVQD-1405 (QS), Q-109
[previously J-18293] (QR), Q-8109 [previously L-7293] (Q8)
{The title above had been reported in 1979 by the publication "Quad Incorporated" to only be in quad, with no stereo version known. This album was actually released in 1970 in stereo as No. OV/14-05 with a green label and number 956C-1405 on the label.

Wish I had my old Schwann catalogs right now, since they should tell us when Ovation Quad's started turning up, year/month. Interesting that such a small label got into Quad(not least given their limited success--except for Bonnie Koloc, and later the C&W act The Kendalls, they generally missed the Lp charts).

ED :)

My copy of Paul Horn
has a gold sticker on front cover that says -
Produceded on EV- Stereo-4 System.
Record label makes no mention of EV or quad, just says Stereo.
Number OV/14-05
Two cuts from LP also on EV sampler OD/1

That brings up another curiosity.
One copy of Ovation sampler OD/1 make absolutely no mention of type of matrix encoding. This also has a 4 page flyer that says nothing about the type or encoding.
The other copy of OD/1 has EV all over it.
Etching in run-out also different.
Was there a type of encoding before EV?

Vinylguy4

Back