HiRez Poll Ferry, Bryan - FRANTIC [SACD/DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A of Bryan Ferry - FRANTIC

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this HiRez release! (y) :phones (n)

Decent tunes and mix for sure.

Bryan Ferry makes three kinds of albums; keepers, maybes and 'what was he thinking' modes. This one is at least maybe depending on your tastes, could be a keeper.

Ferry's work is usually solid but tends to be overshadowed by Roxy Music, which is more innovative or at least it used to be.

I've seen this DVD-A listed for $30-$42 lately, so I'm lucky finding it for $14 mint on eBay a couple years back.

I only just found this one on Amazon recently, and was amazed to find anything on DVD-A by Bryan Ferry.
So I snapped it up, and was not disappointed. Kicks off with a cover of Dylan's "It's all over now, baby blue", possibly the second best version of this song I have heard (The best being one by Graham Bonnet who later became front Man for Rainbow for around 5 minutes back in the 70's).

The record continues in much the same vein, and I love it. Great all-rounder, very high quality audio-wise.
I wish there were more from Ferry on DVD-A.

Agreed; when you put it on, you're always glad you did. That's one thing about the iPod, regardless of feelings about resolution, it provides mindshare to albums you tend to overlook otherwise.

Kicks off with a cover of Dylan's "It's all over now, baby blue", possibly the second best version of this song I have heard
Although slightly off-topic, 2007 sees Ferry with an new album Dylanesque, full of Dylan covers. But the best ones, Hard rain's gonna fall and this one, are not on it. (Don't think twice is not that special)
Frantic is certainly one of the better Bryan Ferry albums from that era, and former Roxy Music members Paul Thompson and Brian Eno help out.

Last edited:
Although slightly off-topic, 2007 sees Ferry with an new album Dylanesque, full of Dylan covers. But the best ones, Hard rain's gonna fall and this one, are not on it. (Don't think twice is not that special)
Certainly one of the better Bryan Ferry albums from that era, and former Roxy Music members Paul Thompson and Brian Eno help out.

Does this have a High Rez version?

I have the DVDA on order and am impatiently waiting for it. I just wanted to point out that the sacd version on Amazon has now jumped to $130! There is a $75 sourcing fee now added to both copies. I bought a plain cd on the bay so I could sample the music and find I have received a Ukrainain bootleg! The cd label says its an sacd and shows the dsd symbol but the sacd light does not light up on my oppo. Sounds good on SQ mode however. There are also 8 extra Ferry/Roxy tracks. The booklet appears to be from a German pressing. How bizarre!

I have the DVDA on order and am impatiently waiting for it. I just wanted to point out that the sacd version on Amazon has now jumped to $130! There is a $75 sourcing fee now added to both copies. I bought a plain cd on the bay so I could sample the music and find I have received a Ukrainain bootleg! The cd label says its an sacd and shows the dsd symbol but the sacd light does not light up on my oppo. Sounds good on SQ mode however. There are also 8 extra Ferry/Roxy tracks. The booklet appears to be from a German pressing. How bizarre!

I have the DVD-A version. Interestingly it has a Compact Disc logo, the Multi-ch/Stereo graphics you normally see on a SACD, as well as a DVD-Audio logo on both the back of the packaging and on the disc!!!! It's definitely a DVD-Audio. Looks like the DVD-Audio release was a re-print taken from the SACD!!

I only just found this one on Amazon recently, and was amazed to find anything on DVD-A by Bryan Ferry.
So I snapped it up, and was not disappointed. Kicks off with a cover of Dylan's "It's all over now, baby blue", possibly the second best version of this song I have heard (The best being one by Graham Bonnet who later became front Man for Rainbow for around 5 minutes back in the 70's).

I grew up with the Graham Bonnet version of this song definitely the best!!!! (y)(y) I agree Bryan Ferry's version is quite good too.....I can't stand the quality of the original...

my only regret was marking it an "8" back then.
now I'd give it a "10"..!
this is a fantastic example of how a modern album can be done in surround!
the music itself is superb and the fidelity and mix are as good as it gets.

I have the DVD-A version. Interestingly it has a Compact Disc logo, the Multi-ch/Stereo graphics you normally see on a SACD, as well as a DVD-Audio logo on both the back of the packaging and on the disc!!!! It's definitely a DVD-Audio. Looks like the DVD-Audio release was a re-print taken from the SACD!!

I grew up with the Graham Bonnet version of this song definitely the best!!!! (y)(y) I agree Bryan Ferry's version is quite good too.....I can't stand the quality of the original...

Mine has the same label art as yours does - definitely a straight reprint of the SACD art with the addition of the (wrong) DVD-A logo.
Same on the back cover - wrong DVD logo and copyright of 2002.

If there is a DTS with a DVD-V of Frantic, then logic dictates a BD at one point, hopefully lossless audio?

Pix only taken with phone so not the best but you can clearly see the booklets aren't mere straight swaps.

they booklets each have their own catalogue number (SACDVIR167 & DVDAVIR167 respectively) printed on the back..

the jewel case rear inlays and disc silk screening are both slightly different, SACD has Sony trademark info on both disc and rear inlay.. DVD-A erroneously has SACD "Multi-ch/Stereo" logo and "Compact Disc" logo!

Both of European (German) origin both the DVDA (DVD5) and SACD have "Sonopress" logos etched into their hubs.

oh and they both have different stickers! (Very important that!) :eek:

Back