Wagner - The Ring Cycle

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Mark.

Here's one for the Catalogue.
I only have 3 out of the 4 sets in SQ, but the other one must exist somewhere.
Anyway - this is not on the known Quad lists, and I am desperate to obtain a copy of the "missing" box set too.

Richard Wagner.
Conducted by Reginald Goodall, all sung in English recorded live at the London Coliseum with the ENOC (English National Opera Company) in 1975

The 4 box sets are
1 - The Rhinegold
EMI Records, SQ Stereo/Quadraphonic SLS 5032
2 - Siegfried
EMI Records, SQ Stereo/Quadraphonic SLS ???? (My copy of this one is the Stereo only, Cat no SLS 875)
3 - The Valkyrie
EMI Records, SQ Stereo/Quadraphonic SLS 5063
4 - The Twilight Of The Gods
EMI Records, SQ Stereo/Quadraphonic, SLS 5118

Not to derail your thread but there's a fairly impressive ring emerging on MCH SACDs from Melba Recordings. First three are out so far.

Kal

Kai.

Is it the same version?
If it is the "Goodall's Ring" from the Coliseum in '75, then I may be able to get over the issues I have with SuperAudio and go for it. Otherwise it's a case of waiting for the final box set to drop into my lap & ,make my own DVD-A of the whole thing.
It's the performance you see - this version is legendary amongst Wagner afficionadoes and Reginald Goodall (Father of Howard) did an amazing job.

No. It is an entirely new series recorded during live performances and in German.

BTW, who's Howard?

Kal

Howard Goodall is a seriously talented musician & music historian.
He did a Book/BBC-TV series called "Big Bangs" about the most significant events to happen musically through history.
It describes what he considers to be the 5 events that "Changed Musical History forever".
(This might make a great thread, actually. Maybe it should be added elsewhere??)
His chosen 5 events:
1 - The invention of Notation
2 - The Inventing of Opera
3 - The invention of the Equal Tempered Scale
4 - The invention of Bartolomeo Cristofori's amazing "loud and Soft machine"
(AKA The Pianoforte)
5 - The invention of Recorded Sound.
It is a seriously good book, and a compulsive TV series.

Oh - I'll be not bothering with the new Ring Cycle. It is the English version that I have 3/4 of, or put another way - 16 out of 21 records

Sounds interesting. Don't recall ever hearing of it before.

As for the new Ring, it is not an overwhelmingly compelling performance. Of the several I have it is near the bottom because I wouldn't retain anything that could not compete for valuable shelf real estate. OTOH, it is outstandingly well reproduced.

Kal

Thanks for the update Neil. I have been tracking ebay for updates to the classical quad discography and have found many import titles. If you look on the rumors page, a quad collector mentions he suspects that some EMI stereo releases might be quad.
And as a suggestion, go for it and check out some SACD's

Mark.

Here's one for the Catalogue.
I only have 3 out of the 4 sets in SQ, but the other one must exist somewhere.
Anyway - this is not on the known Quad lists, and I am desperate to obtain a copy of the "missing" box set too.

Richard Wagner.
Conducted by Reginald Goodall, all sung in English recorded live at the London Coliseum with the ENOC (English National Opera Company) in 1975

The 4 box sets are
1 - The Rhinegold
EMI Records, SQ Stereo/Quadraphonic SLS 5032
2 - Siegfried
EMI Records, SQ Stereo/Quadraphonic SLS ???? (My copy of this one is the Stereo only, Cat no SLS 875)
3 - The Valkyrie
EMI Records, SQ Stereo/Quadraphonic SLS 5063
4 - The Twilight Of The Gods
EMI Records, SQ Stereo/Quadraphonic, SLS 5118

Back