HiRez Poll John McEuen & Jimmy Ibbotson - NITTY GRITTY SURROUND [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of John McEuen & Jimmy Ibbotson - NITTY GRITTY SURROUND

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Mix, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thougts and comments on this DVD-Audio disc from AIX. (y) :phones (n)

Attachments

• NGS-front.jpg
    NGS-front.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 274
  • NGS-back.jpg
    NGS-back.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 272
Damn Jon,

I did not know that this was even out there!!!!

I used to listen to the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band in the early 70's.

Oop's. I do date back.:eek:

I will look for this and snatch it up real fast.

This is a fantastic release. I first heard a track on an AIX sampler and just fell in love with it. This is one of AIX's earlier titles, but the only thing that dates it is the session video, which was shot in standard def (AIX shoots everything now in HD). Nonetheless, the audio is reference quality - I wouldn't change a thing.

This has been my "go-to" demonstration disc for all my musician friends who prefer acoustic music. I think this is purely the best sounding contemporary recording I have come across and having the option to watch the video with reduced resolution music (which still sounds great) or flip it over and have the hi-rez DVD-A is a great one. Top-notch musicianship, state of the art recording and Jennifer Warnes...sweet!

This is my favorite of the 5 AIX discs I own. I am not a Nitty Gritty fan and really not a fan of this type of music generally, but this acoustic music is really nice. As usual for AIX, first rate recording and fidelity. This is the only AIX disc I own that I expect to play often. I was surprised to see that this was a 2001 release when I looked on the back.

Chris

Music fidelity and sheer content of this disc make it a 10. A flipper idsc DVDA one side DVDV the other.
It looks like ill have to start mining the AIX vaults for more music, in my quest for more DVDA.

Music fidelity and sheer content of this disc make it a 10. A flipper idsc DVDA one side DVDV the other.
It looks like ill have to start mining the AIX vaults for more music, in my quest for more DVDA.

I have a great number of these. I can give you some recommendations if you want based on your musical taste. Can't wait until a few months when they start issuing Blu-Ray.

Oh and I never voted on this. I give it a 10.

The "country music" label tends to make me run away, and quickly. But I find the more modern bluegrass very enjoyable. If you like the Alison Krauss, Nickel Creek, and Dolly Parton SACDs, or the Bela Fleck DVD-A, this ought to be on your radar.

To me, AIX's "Stage" surround mixes shine best when a number of musicians are involved. Some of the tracks on this album have 8 or 9 players involved, and it helps make for a very engaging experience. Turn it up, sit in the sweet spot, and enjoy -- there's stuff happening all around you.

I think 7 of the 11 tracks are vocal. Two of these feature Jennifer Warnes and they are particularly good. Laurie Lewis is the other female vocalist and her style is a bit more traditional than I prefer (standing out mostly on on the last track).

Note: The same version of "Shady Grove" also appears on the AIX "Jonathan McEwen - One Step Ahead" DVD-A from AIX. (BTW, the Jonathan McEwen, Hanna-McEwen, and Brand New Opry discs have other tracks that are duplicated between them -- excellent tunes all, but that was a disappointing discovery for me.)

Beautifully recorded and 'sounds all around' -- hard to beat that. This is trapped between a 9 and a 10, and this time I'm rounding down to a 9.

Mark Z

Wow! To be honest, I always thought bluegrass is a banjo and a fiddle strumming away, but this is is incredible! Great musicianship, great tunes, great sound, even greater surround-mix and content. So this is a ten from me.

Have had this one since it came out. It is truly top notch. Just completed another straight through listen of the DVD-A side - and it still marvels the ears and mind. The two tracks with Jennifer Warnes singing are worth whatever you have to pay for this disc. Her voice in HiRez on this disc is nothing short of spine tingling - at least for me. (Sure wish there was an MC disc of Famous Blue Raincoat!! If I have missed it - someone let me know!) There is quite a variety of musical styles on this one disc - sure some straight ahead bluegrass but also some latin, some great swing/jazz and a nice blend of vocals and instrumentals. As already stated by previous reviewers the sound quality is impeccable and the surround mix is the kind where you just want to close your eyes and be in the middle of it all. If your imagination is stunted, you can watch the recording sessions on video on the DVD-Video side (which incidentally offer multiple camera views that you can switch between - which is rare but a capability DVD-Videos have always had.) Bottom line - if this disc can still be found - it belongs in the catalog of us true MC addicts!

Thanks to your ecstatic review CRW I ordered a copy of this disc and its on its way to me.
Looking forward to hearing it.

ok listened to this not the usual kind of music I listen to.
Nice mix very well recorded great fidelity. Great instrumentals and when those voices kick in wow.
I so wish DVDAs had not died.
This is a wonderful disc of music to listen to.

ok listened to this not the usual kind of music I listen to.
Nice mix very well recorded great fidelity. Great instrumentals and when those voices kick in wow.
I so wish DVDAs had not died.
This is a wonderful disc of music to listen to.
Glad you're happy with your purchase. Sad tale to share - - for quite a while there was a plan for AIX to release a Jennifer Warnes DVD-A which they recorded. I can only imagine how it would have sounded. Something happened as it never got released even though a "promise date" had been published. Probably some contractual issue with her old record company or something like that. I can only imagine how it would have sounded - just based on her two tracks on this disc.

The Jennifer Warnes albums I recorded 15 years ago is the most amazing recording I've ever produced. The version of "So Sad" and "Train Time" are absolutely gorgeous. Everyone involved from her manager to her lawyer confirmed that we had captured something really special. I spent a lot of money and a lot of time bringing that project together...and then she refused to allow me to release it for reasons that make no sense. I have shared it a couple of times at audio trade shows but otherwise it will remain a missed opportunity. Unfortunate, because it's the best thing she ever did.

The Jennifer Warnes albums I recorded 15 years ago is the most amazing recording I've ever produced. The version of "So Sad" and "Train Time" are absolutely gorgeous. Everyone involved from her manager to her lawyer confirmed that we had captured something really special. I spent a lot of money and a lot of time bringing that project together...and then she refused to allow me to release it for reasons that make no sense. I have shared it a couple of times at audio trade shows but otherwise it will remain a missed opportunity. Unfortunate, because it's the best thing she ever did.
Thanks for the additional insight on this matter. It's helpful to know even though it does not change anything. I wonder if she would reconsider if she was approached again now - 15 years later. Time can change things. . . just a thought. Again, thanks for the response.

I listened to this again today. Great fidelity a tasteful mix and just so pleasant to listen to. Actually went into repeat mode. Not my usual kind of music I listen to. Very reccomended and such a shame about the Jennifer Warnes recording above.

Back