HiRez Poll Bass Communion - PACIFIC CODEX [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Bass Communion - PACIFIC CODEX

• 10: Great Surround, Great Fidelity, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Sound like it might be like Gavin Bryars "The Sinking of the Titanic"
well just ordered one

Got mine via media mail today from Massachusetts. There is a small tear at one of the corners, that's the only blemish that I see. Since I bought it to listen to and not as a collectors item I'm happy to have saved the $9. Now, just have to find the time and proper frame of mind to experience this title from.

Great soundtrack for watching my aquarium. I think the plecostamos is a little freaked out by some of the bass though.

Are these really numbered ?. I can't see any numbers except e=mc16.

Inside the slipcase there should be a photo booklet, a stiff card digipack with the discs in and also a slightly smaller, thin card that's grey with the E=mc16 logo in white writing on one side and white with a mirror image of the logo in grey on the other side. The number should be on the bottom left of the grey side of that card, hand written in what looks like a silver gel pen. Mine is #878. :)

Inside the slipcase there should be a photo booklet, a stiff card digipack with the discs in and also a slightly smaller, thin card that's grey with the E=mc16 logo in white writing on one side and white with a mirror image of the logo in grey on the other side. The number should be on the bottom left of the grey side of that card, hand written in what looks like a silver gel pen. Mine is #878. :)

Thanks for that Neil. Well, I have the 2 sided card but no handwritten number on either side. I must have a promo copy. Everything looks genuine and it is a CD/DVD-A combo. They most likely produced an even 1000 copies and held over 25 copies for promo's.

"The CD sounds like a soundtrack for a slowly sinking battleship making it's way down the Mariana Trench, whilst experiencing impossible levels of pressure on it's disintegrating hull." :eek:/QUOTE]

My little old house is up on 9ft concrete pylon's and made out of cyprus pine/fibro cladding with lots of glass and metal louvre's. Track one starts alarmingly. What the... Playing this at moderate levels (-20db) it sounds like the whole house is being lifted off it's foundations by some huge magnetic tractor beam emitted from a spaceship, the size of which resembles the UFO's encountered in the movie "Independence Day". I have to close/adjust some louvre's because of the extraneous noise they created. Then I realised I haven't even turned on the surrounds. I am going to have to find my rattle test DVD and do some more structural dampening before attempting to listen to this in full 5.1.

Last edited:
Even by Bass Communion standards this album is pretty wacky. It consists of a set of rolling ambient, metallic textures which have no structure, form, rhythm or melodic content to speak of.
The source material was recordings of Steven Wilson and Theo Travis "playing" Steve Hubback's percussive metal sculptures (see http://hubgong.dse.nl/ for info) in Jan 2006. These were processed and edited by Steven through early 2006 then released as a very limited pressing (less than one thousand copies) sold through SWHQ in a slipcase with both CD and DVD-A, a booklet of photographs and a card with the copy number on.
The resulting material is presented as two 20 min or so tracks of eerie, ambient, rippling metallic drones that ebb and flow without really reaching a crescendo or climax, at least not in the first piece.
The second piece starts off using some reverb-drenched water drops to create the impression that it was maybe recorded in some vast cavern under the sea somewhere and builds layer on layer as it develops to resemble some alien liquid metal sea crashing onto a metal shore.
Some of the percussive hits are quite dynamic so don't crank your system up too much until you've played it a couple of times an got a feel for the levels, unless you like surprises!
Being SW the fidelity is extremely high and there's good use of the surround channels, but it's subtle to achieve an enveloping soundscape. Certainly not aggressive or gimmicky.
The nature of this material makes it impossible to rate objectively. It's the kind of material that will either appeal due to it's most unusual nature or come across as pretentious twaddle. I rather like it. It's not music for listening to. In fact it's not music at all. But as a set of atmospheres and ambient noises that use surround to saturate the listener in sound I think it comes across quite well and I'm happy to give it a seven overall.

Back