DBX encoded QS Quad record

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I have a couple of QS DBX LPs and non-DBX copies of the same titles, so I will just have to try it and see. It is certainly less connection hassle to do the DBX decoding first, but my other concern (besides phase shifts) is that a QS decoder might not react well to such a huge dynamic range ... some extremely quiet bits, then some extremely loud ones. I know that a Tate would overload, that is why there is an input level control. My QSD-2 doesn't have one though. Mike.

Mike:

In the late 70's when I was messing around with dbx I encoded a lot of music to r2r tape. I would play it back and decode the signal, then run it through my 3BX dynamic range expander, then send it through the vario-matrix of my -9001. This did not seem to cause any problems for the vario-matrix. Again, I don't know if this was the correct sequence but the results sounded great! It impressed the heck out of my non-quad friends. :D

Justin

I have used DBX quite a bit and have many DBX encoded LPs. DBX as used on LPs is kinda like Dolby for vinyl. I would hook up the phono outputs to the dbx which will knock the noise floor down then on to the decoders for the quad processing. DBX also had dynamic range expanders which I have used on occasion. The noise reduction and dynamic range processing are two different functions or processes. I have only used the DBX decoder for LP's which I record to reel to reel. This works great for classical music when the signal is very low. Background noise on a DBX encoded LP is practically silent. I am now looking for a DBX Quad LP. What encoding do you find them in, SQ,QS,CD-4??

Mark, how about a CX encoded disc of "the wall" Gotta be the rarest, i have one and it is not listed anywhere.

I'd love to see a picture or scan of that. I have never seen a dbx or a cx encoded Wall disc (aside from cx encoded laserdisc).

A_L

A little dbx technical newbie question.......(not necessarily quad) What dbx gear did you need to play the dbx encoded LPs as "normal"? Was the Dynamic Range Expander unit needed or simply what they describe as a Compressor/Noise Reduction unit? Then there are the encoder/decoder units...dbx made many pieces of gear it seems, probably not all related to the playback of the encoded albums. John S.

A little dbx technical newbie question.......(not necessarily quad) What dbx gear did you need to play the dbx encoded LPs as "normal"? Was the Dynamic Range Expander unit needed or simply what they describe as a Compressor/Noise Reduction unit? Then there are the encoder/decoder units...dbx made many pieces of gear it seems, probably not all related to the playback of the encoded albums. John S.

John:

If I remember correctly (30 years ago) my dbx 224 encoder/decoder had a specific button for dbx encoded records. I only had one record and I was not that impressed. If I have remembered incorrectly I am sure someone will correct me.

Justin

Thanks for the reply....I only ask about the dbx encoding because several of the Nautilus 1/2 Speed Mastered LPs came with dbx encoding. I think those came either with or without dbx, ie. individual titles were available both encoded and unencoded. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that. I do know where a Model 124 dbx unit is lurking for not too much money I would think so I was thinking of picking it up. Of course, the other side of the LP audiophiles say don't waste your time on remasters, buy an early pressed original copy for best sound. Sorry for verring off quad.... John S.

Thanks for the reply....I only ask about the dbx encoding because several of the Nautilus 1/2 Speed Mastered LPs came with dbx encoding. I think those came either with or without dbx, ie. individual titles were available both encoded and unencoded. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that. I do know where a Model 124 dbx unit is lurking for not too much money I would think so I was thinking of picking it up. Of course, the other side of the LP audiophiles say don't waste your time on remasters, buy an early pressed original copy for best sound. Sorry for verring off quad.... John S.

Yes, i have a Nautilus Moodies Threshold of a dream that is dbx encoded. They released others.

The dbx encoded records, played back without decoding, sound bloody awful. Tinny and compressed. But played back through a dbx 124 or 224 processor, they sound decent. Surface noise from the record is inaudible, but there are some occasional artifacts.

Back