Ambra: Child Of The Universe SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattB2

500 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Now this is a very pleasant surprise. I picked this SACD up from DVD4music.com for a very reasonable £11.45 (including UK postage) and it turned out to be a great album with a fabulous 5.1 surround mix.

The music takes its influences from all sorts of people (Enigma, Jean Michel Jarre, Alan Parsons, Pink Floyd guitar parts all spring to mind at various times) and mixes in sound effects and world music to great effect. The band and producers seem to have had a hell of a time in the studio and at the mixing desk and have produced a really aggressive surround mix - it's very rare for any of the instruments used to stay in one place for very long and even the orchestra is panned around the room a couple of times towards the end of one track.

The recording and surround mix is demo quality so if you can get hold of a copy for a reasonable price the disc is a great buy. (DVD4music and Amazon.de seem to have copies available.) (y)(y)(y)

So there is a SACD of this now?
This used to be a DVD-V with the picture synced with the (DTS) soundtrack. To be honest, I thought it was a bit of a Koyaanisqatsi rip-off, but the music is quite different and indeed, a very aggressive surround mix.

This and "Honour & Glory" have both been issued as surround SACDs but I hadn't realised that they were originally DVD-Vs. Not having seen the video content I wouldn't have connected the music with Philip Glass' work on the "qatsi" series.

As good as I think the SACD is, I'm amazed that a seller on Amazon.com thinks they can get $125 for it! :eek:

The three that were released as DVD-V are supposed to be released on blu-ray in 7.1.

I'll probably pick these up. there's a heckuva lot of PF influence in there and the mixes are really great.

We should probably support blu-ray in this regard as this probably represents the best hope of a future for hi-rez multichannel music.

Listening to Ambra right now. Brilliant 5.1 mixes on Honour and Glory. Very active, just what i like. I recommend everyone checking these out.

All 3 Ambra discs and the "Lichtmond" project they moved on to (Vol 1 and 2, on Blu Ray) are nothing short of brilliant. I only find the voice of the girl on the Ambra discs a bit obnoxious, she sounds like she's in a trance or something. And the Salvador Dali bit is... Odd.

In terms of surround mix and sound quality, this is as good as it gets. And the music is top-notch.

Hey keenly, have you tried the two "Forsenses" Blu-Rays? Fantastic surround and stunning visuals.

I liked the Ambra discs, I didn't know about these so thanks, I've just got them via amazon.de. Great to listen to in the early hours after the pub!

All 3 Ambra discs and the "Lichtmond" project they moved on to (Vol 1 and 2, on Blu Ray) are nothing short of brilliant. I only find the voice of the girl on the Ambra discs a bit obnoxious, she sounds like she's in a trance or something. And the Salvador Dali bit is... Odd.

In terms of surround mix and sound quality, this is as good as it gets. And the music is top-notch.

Hey keenly, have you tried the two "Forsenses" Blu-Rays? Fantastic surround and stunning visuals.

I have just added them to my Amazon basket thanks.

Just a question about these:

Are there non 3D versions? Or will it play in 2D???

This and "Honour & Glory" have both been issued as surround SACDs but I hadn't realised that they were originally DVD-Vs. Not having seen the video content I wouldn't have connected the music with Philip Glass' work on the "qatsi" series.

As good as I think the SACD is, I'm amazed that a seller on Amazon.com thinks they can get $125 for it! :eek:

The Multichannel SACD is available used from several sellers via Amazon.Com starting around $38. So that is another option for the SACD version.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000D9R0V

Hey Mike! I have Forsenses I on Blu-Ray and II on DVD, and they're both 2D. Almost certain there's a 2D Blu Ray version of the second one as well (the one I "found" on the Internet is in 2D, I can tell you that much).

EDIT: for the "Lichtmond" discs, both 2D and 3D versions are available and amazon lists them as such, iirc.

Just a question about these:

Are there non 3D versions? Or will it play in 2D???

I just got the Forsenses vol 1. Stunning fidelity! This is how Blu Rays should be mastered! Thanks. I recommend this title to everyone.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=forsenses+blu+ray

I got the DTS DVD-V of Child of the Universe and DVD-A of Honour & Glory fairly recently and wasn't knocked out by much of what I heard (content-wise) I clearly need to give them a fair(er) crack of the whip if you guys rate them! :)

Back