Most Aggresive Surround Sound Mixes?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd suggest checking out the Ship Ahoy Surround Sound SACD by the O'Jays. The 5.1 SACD Surround mix comes from the '70s Quad Mix of that album. Great stuff !

What I do like about the DTS discs is you can rip and burn them just like they were a regular CD (as long as you rip in the uncompressed wav format) so you can actually make mix cd's of surround sound music. I took all the sting discs and made one 90 min mix of my favorite songs from each.

I'd suggest checking out the Ship Ahoy Surround Sound SACD by the O'Jays. The 5.1 SACD Surround mix comes from the '70s Quad Mix of that album. Great stuff !

I listened to some samples online; it sounds great! Too bad it is already really expensive. But I think I can't pass this up :D

What I do like about the DTS discs is you can rip and burn them just like they were a regular CD (as long as you rip in the uncompressed wav format) so you can actually make mix cd's of surround sound music. I took all the sting discs and made one 90 min mix of my favorite songs from each.

Does anyone know if this would work on DTS discs like the Depeche Mode and Steve Miller discs? What I would like to do is copy these onto another CD so that they would play in my Acura....:confused:

You should be able to copy the tracks you want from a DTS CD in the same manner you would from a normal audio CD. They will be wav files, however you won't be able to play them with your sound card unless you have a DTS decoder in or attached to your PC. Once you extract the wav files to your Hard Drive, just make a CD with them the same way you would with any wav file.

I believe the Acura decoder will not have a problem with the DTS stream stopping and starting between each song, as some of the earlier DTS decoders did.

Give it a try and see what happens.

Well, if we go back to the early 70's, when Quad mixing was in its infancy, I'd choose most of the Santana LPs (except for "Amigos" which was fake quad, and "Lotus" which is very tame).
I'd divide them into gimmicky:
-Abraxas
-III
Non-gimmicky:
-Caravanserai (surprisingly, since it's an early one)
-The first one , which was mixed about 5 years after its initial release is a superb mix,
-Welcome
-Borboletta
-Carnaval
-Moonflower (ha! caught ya...well , I have a GREAT upmix from it!!!)

As for MODERN releases, I'd include Neil Wilkes' mixes of:
StickMen- Deep
The Vicar-Songbook #1

Aggresive but all in its place!

Another REALLY agressive mix is the Cornelius dts release called "Five Point One". It really gives each speaker a good workout.

Link please; I can't find this?

Aggressive is the way I think 5.1 mixes should be done!

Toy Matinee - s/t Elliot Scheiner pulls it apart in the living room and pulls it together in the car. Makes me think he finalized it there!

Speaking of aggressive surround mixes...

Nobody mentioned the Ambra and Lichtmond discs, nor the two Forsenses Blu-Rays. I believe these are criminally overlooked gems.

ah, yes. the two Forenses blu-rays. I just picked those up. While at times the songs are a bit weak, the mixes are superb and the visuals are at times stunning.

Back