Most Aggresive Surround Sound Mixes?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Hooverphonic Dual Disc also and can confirm that it indeed has a very good DTS track. It is one of my favorite surround sound titles. I liked this title so much that I purchased the entire Hooverphonic catalog. There is no mention of DTS anywhere on the Outside packaging. I love what they did to that old Henri Mancini song. I cant believe this group is not more popular. I heard that they recently left Sony.

Okay, I'm a huge Hooverphonic fan but somehow missed until this thread that the dualdisc version of No More Sweet Music had a surround mix. Order placed...c'mon Caiman, don't let me down.

Hooverphonic - (No) More Sweet Music (it's a dual disc with DTS on it and it's a VERY good mix)

I'll give backup to BananaSlug's suggestions as well. Those are great.

Oh man. You just made me spend money. I saw those guys in madison, they opened up for BT, and "INHALER" was definitely in surround at that concert. It was fucking MINDBLOWING, and I was totally sober. :D

Please let us all know about the Hooverphonic disc after you get it. The more reviews the better! Best I've seen so far is about $35 at CDUniverse. I've not heard of Hooverphonic, but I'm going to go looking for some MP3 samples as this sounds like it could be interesting. Also, during my searches I have read that the DVD side is DVD-A - can someone confirm exactly what is on the dvd side? Thanks :banana:

Hooverphonic? Hell, I can tell you about them. They're Belgian and so am I :3

I have the (No) More Sweet Music dualdiscs, bought them when they came out. The mix is very aggressive and sounds very good. The songs, however, are not actually bad but just ... quite lame. IMHO. I like their older albums a lot (The Magnificent Tree, Blue Wonder Power Milk and such) but this one just grew old really fast. There's a few good songs on there (I like "Wake Up", for instance) but the rest is too average to leave a lasting impression.

But like I said, it's probably worth it for the mix alone, and the music in itself is not actually bad either.

For those of you still looking for a copy, the dualdiscs are still for sale for 22€ on a Belgian website, but I don't think they ship outside of Belgium. If you want to check it out anyway, the site is proxis.be
Amazon doesn't seem to be carrying any, which is weird, neither does the Fnac, which is less shocking.
Good luck finding it :3

In other news, Hooverphonic will be playing at my home town at the end of the month, the concert's really cheap, and I won't even be there to go to it ;.;

Please let us all know about the Hooverphonic disc after you get it. The more reviews the better! Best I've seen so far is about $35 at CDUniverse. I've not heard of Hooverphonic, but I'm going to go looking for some MP3 samples as this sounds like it could be interesting. Also, during my searches I have read that the DVD side is DVD-A - can someone confirm exactly what is on the dvd side? Thanks :banana:

The dvd side is pcm stereo (24/96), DD5.1 and dts 5.1 (24/96). This is a double dual disc ( 2 discs). First disc is More Sweet Music which is the album. Second disc is No More Sweet Music and contains remixes of the first disc. Both are in surround sound along with the video clips on the second disc. First disc has an interview but not in english. Warning, this is a PAL disc. Also, DTS track will not decode properly when using internal decoder on my Denon 2900 dvd player. When I feed DTS to my external BK processor it works great. Not sure why. New Hooverphonic cd+dvd does the same thing. Sorry, no dvd audio though.

The dvd side is pcm stereo (24/96), DD5.1 and dts 5.1 (24/96). This is a double dual disc ( 2 discs). First disc is More Sweet Music which is the album. Second disc is No More Sweet Music and contains remixes of the first disc. Both are in surround sound along with the video clips on the second disc. First disc has an interview but not in english. Warning, this is a PAL disc. Also, DTS track will not decode properly when using internal decoder on my Denon 2900 dvd player. When I feed DTS to my external BK processor it works great. Not sure why. New Hooverphonic cd+dvd does the same thing. Sorry, no dvd audio though.

Thanks. DTS 24/96 is the next best thing to lossless anyways. I remember that the Peter Gabriel videos DVD had some problem on Denon machines with the DTS 24/96 as well. As far as I remember there was some flag that was causing the Denon to decrease volume by 24 db or something like that, maybe it's the same issue.

I got my copy through caiman for a bit over twenty bucks. It arrived today. First listen suggests that the aggressive surround-mix label fits here. While I am also a fan of the earlier stuff, I like most of this double-set.

Another REALLY agressive mix is the Cornelius dts release called "Five Point One". It really gives each speaker a good workout.

Peter Gabriel-UP,Elton John-Captain Fasntastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy,Goodbye Yellowbrick Road.

The "Agents Of Fortune" SACD is pretty wild.
There is also a stereo/5.0 conversion of Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus
on a.b.dts that is killer.

I'd say the Doors box set, but than again, how much of my decision is really based on how much i like the music? hell if we listened to music for the separation we would be playing cartoon music all day.

At one time i liked BOC, but these days, even if it did have the best separation, i don't think could sit through it.

The "Agents Of Fortune" SACD is pretty wild. There is also a stereo/5.0 conversion of Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus on a.b.dts that is killer.

I love Twelve Dreams, and I have a Mobile Fidelity Original Master CD that I will have to try out on my Tate and QSD-2 to see how it decodes. Thanks for the tip. Mike.

Guys, I can't believe no one mentioned Super Furry Animals "Love Kraft".

Anyway, Where can I get that "Twelve Dreams of Dr Sardonicus" redo?

The Quadfather

Try "Don't call me names" by Guano Apes, a German hard rock band. Both music and 5.1 SACD mix can fairly be labeled 'aggressive'.

Does anyone know Sting's 'Ten Summoners Tales'? It's only DTS, not a 'real' DVDA, but I was wondering about that disc, since it is one of my favorite Sting records. I could imagine that if mixed to surround aggressively one could hear a lot more of what's going on; the arrangements are pretty dense.

I have bought all the sting DTS albums including that one they are all very consistant. The mixes are good with discreet surrounds but not overlly aggressive. They do really open up and add a good amount to the songs though. The sound quality is also very good. If you are a fan i would pick up all the sting dts discs (I think there are 3)

Back