Grover Washington, Jr. - Soul Box Vol. 1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callmez

400 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
First off, I want to thank Mark A. for his AMAZING resource. Since the point at which a friend tuned up an old Pioneer quad amp for me and I decided that I was "going quad", that discography has been downloaded, parts sorted and resorted into other files, and checked and checked and checked again by myself. It may not be perfect, but it's one heck of a fine resource and as a nat'ral born thrift store and flea market hound, I have gotten a TON of use out of it -- particularly with regards to pointing me in the direction of quad LPs that are not so obvious as, say, the Columbias with the wide gold borders!

One of these days I will sit down with my accumulation and see what I can contribute to the discography, but one of today's acquisitions addressed an item in the list so I thought it a good time to chime in.

GROVER WASHINGTON -
Soul Box. Kudu [2 LP] KSQX-1213 (SQ), KRQX-1213 (QR), KSQX-1213
(Q8) {only disc two is SQ encoded}
Soul Box. Vol. 2. Kudu KU-13 (SQ)
{The 2 record set of "Soul Box" (KSQX-1213) was later released as
seperate Vol. 1 & Vol. 2 single disc albums; only Vol. 2 is known for
certain to be SQ encoded}

{Originally released in seperate Quad and Stereo versions, Later
released in Quad only. The same number appears on the early stereo
version and on the later Quad-only version, which are distinguishable
by the SQ logo on the back side of the Quad-only album jacket.}

Today I picked up a copy of Kudu KU-12, which is Soul Box Vol. 1. There is no mention of quad anywhere on jacket or label, only stereo -- however, the number on the label and in the run-out area of the vinyl is RVG SQ 98772. My SQ decoding capabilities are limited at the moment, but I would think this rather strong evidence that Kudu KU-12 is an SQ-only release. I have been paying attention to these numbers on CTI and Kudu LPs, and most of them do not say SQ.

Thanks again for a fabulous resource!!

Mark Z

Following up my own post... :)

Just picked up the 2-disc box set version, which seems to be quad on all four sides:

Record 1, Side 1 (runout area): RVG SQ 98772 A-1
Record 1, Side 2 (runout area): RVG SQ 98772 B-2

Record 1, Side 1 (runout area): RVG SQ 98773 A
Record 1, Side 2 (runout area): RVG SQ 98773 B

The spine and discs all denote "stereo", though the box does say that quad LPs, 8 tracks, and reel to reels are available.

Mark Z

Hello, I just recently won this double LP box set in Quadraphonic. My version states KSQX 1213 Quadraphonic.

Both Record 1 and Record 2 clearly states Quadraphonic on the Label, and on the runout groove saids "SQ".. Check out my pictures below.

I want to state that this is not one of those great quad mixes. The rear channel info is very subtle, and most of the music is coming from the front channels. Great fidelity, but the quad mix is not so interesting.

IMG_2769.jpgIMG_2772.jpgIMG_2768.jpg

What decoder are you using? There has been a dvd-a relase of it from Q8 and the mix is fairly discrete, as with all CTI quads.

Not arguing that it's not discrete. The mix in itself is not so interesting. For instance, most of the rear channel info is mostly ambient and phasing of the fronts. No individual placements of instruments etc..

What decoder are you using? There has been a dvd-a relase of it from Q8 and the mix is fairly discrete, as with all CTI quads.

This (and Vol II) are available fully decoded from my blog. Certainly wouldn't call it an ambient mix

OD

Back