DVD/DTS Poll Eagles - HELL FREEZES OVER [DTS CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS-CD or the Eagles - HELL FREEZES OVER

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this DTS CD. (y):phones(n)

Whether you like the Eagles or not, there is no way you cannot appreciate the surround presentation of this early landmark DTS CD from DTS Entertainment. Originally released on Laserdisc, DTS Laserdisc, and DTS CD, this is a concert presentation that is demo material all the way.

I recently dragged this CD out to the car after ignoring it for a few years, and all I could do was marvel at the mix, the song selection, and the crystal clear audio coming through my speakers.

Since this disc may go the way of other DTS CDs, anyone slightly interested in getting this one should do it soon. It will be well worth the $20 or so bucks it may cost.

If only DTS kept up the surround releases. If they did, and they were this good, I would easily give up on SACD and DVD-Audio. But then again, we're talking "if"..............................

I've read that the DTS-CD mix is the same as the DTS track on the DVD-Video release of this title. Does anyone here have the two discs and can confirm that?

I've read that the DTS-CD mix is the same as the DTS track on the DVD-Video release of this title. Does anyone here have the two discs and can confirm that?
As i remember it was the same, but try a search here, maybe someone confirmed it in the past.

the PAL dvd version runs a bit faster.....The NTSC laserdisc/dvd is at normal speed....

What is different is the stereo cd , as the new songs on the stereo cd were cut in the studio...and the dts is a live concert the wholeway through....and the dts cd follows the concert mix..(from memory...haven't played this disc for about a year come to think of it)

Going through the motions in the most pristine sound possible.

Attachments

• Eagles - Hell Freezes Over [DTS] - 00 - Front Cover.jpg
    Eagles - Hell Freezes Over [DTS] - 00 - Front Cover.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 684
I have had it for years and I still spin it on a regular basis.

Pristine.:smokin

This was one of my most anticipated DVD-A's.
What a let down. All the vocals are in the centre channel and lack any dimension.
I just loved the cd (and concert) and couldn't believe that their songs could sound better live than on the studio cd's.
That said, I thought this DVD-A could take it to ever a higher level, but it doesn't.
I'm not sure who mixed it, but if it's the same guy who designed my car stereo (Acura RDX), and who also produces The Eagle's, he should be ashamed.

Wow; Music sure is subjective-..This is one of the first DTS cds I purchased, along with the police "hits" surround sacd, Elton sacd's and the Doobies "Captain" Dvd-a. Compared to the high resolution discs, this one sounded dull and lifeless and I returned it (Shortly thereafter I purchased the Eagles Farewell Tour double cd concert in the gold embossed paper cover and the fidelity of that concert sounds as good to me as any high resolution disc).
I have to give this disc a 5

Yes "gtgt", this is a DTS disc and not a DVD-A, maybe that was just a mis-speak on your part. If you are playing it as DVD-A that would certainly alter its sound stage presentation. John S.

This disc is a must have if only for the DTS audio of "Seven Bridges Road" that was so kindly tacked on the end. This track is my favorite discreet surround sound test song and Joe Walsh's harmony vocals are terrifyingly immaculate.

This was one of my most anticipated DVD-A's.
What a let down. All the vocals are in the centre channel and lack any dimension.
I just loved the cd (and concert) and couldn't believe that their songs could sound better live than on the studio cd's.
That said, I thought this DVD-A could take it to ever a higher level, but it doesn't.
I'm not sure who mixed it, but if it's the same guy who designed my car stereo (Acura RDX), and who also produces The Eagle's, he should be ashamed.

I realize this is not a DVD-A, but I have been listening to this disc for the last few days. And I have to agree with the bit about all the vocals being in the center channel. Even the wife commented that it souned "wierd"...like the vocals were much to "loud" compared to the rest of the music. I turned off the center speaker and it went to the opposite side of the spectrum - I thought the vocals were a bit flat, but it was better than before.

Anyway, I enjoy the music but cannot say that I like the mix. It was irritating.

An outstanding example of how good DTS can be. Just picked this up used and enjoying not only the music, which is superb, but the mix, which is quite discrete.

I gave it a 10 even though it's 20-bit it's still only 44.1 kHz. I would have preferred 96 kHz but this was mixed by Elliot from the original master tapes and for a "CD" it sounds the best a "CD" could ever hope to sound.

I realize it's not an actual red book "CD" but this is how "CD's" should have been released from the beginning.

Here is an example of 44.1 kHz but oh how much better it is in MCH 5.1 on the same format as a CD.

In other words, why did they even release red book CD's in 44.1 kHz in the first place when they could have released them like this?

I realize your player needs a DTS decoder but that should have just been standard from the start and why is it not still standard now?

Also, confirmed it's just not my ears but the DR of this disc is spectacular:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/57737

Last edited:
I gave it a 10 even though it's 20-bit it's still only 44.1 kHz. I would have preferred 96 kHz but this was mixed by Elliot from the original master tapes and for a "CD" it sounds the best a "CD" could ever hope to sound.

I realize it's not an actual red book "CD" but this is how "CD's" should have been released from the beginning.

Here is an example of 44.1 kHz but oh how much better it is in MCH 5.1 on the same format as a CD.

In other words, why did they even release red book CD's in 44.1 kHz in the first place when they could have released them like this?

I realize your player needs a DTS decoder but that should have just been standard from the start and why is it not still standard now?

Also, confirmed it's just not my ears but the DR of this disc is spectacular:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/57737

I agree: Hell Freezes Over (DTS RBCD) IS a solid 10.

BTW, 20 bit meant it was mastered from a 20bit source to RBCD.

Also, when the RBCD red book standard was set in the early 80's, DTS did not exist. It was not until the late 90's that DTS Entertainment was formed and started to produce DTS RBCDs.

And DTS could never be a part of the RBCD redbook standard as it required a DTS decoder.

And one could only imagine how Hell Freezes Over would sound as a BD~A in 96/24 5.1......probably ravishing!

Back