DVD/DTS Poll Eagles - HELL FREEZES OVER [DTS CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS-CD or the Eagles - HELL FREEZES OVER

• Total voters

For that price, EB, I'd surely grab it.

As I previously stated, both this DTS DVD and the DTS RBCD sound simply amazing ON MY SYSTEM. My audio dealer used to use the DTS RBCD for demos. It was/is that good but both versions would surely sound better in lossless [as in BD~V/SACD].....NO doubt about that.

Since the Eagles are supposedly opposed to surround treatment of their back catalogue, all that remains on physical disc is this DTS RBCD and the DVD~A of Hotel California.........slim pickins' indeed.

For that price, EB, I'd surely grab it.

As I previously stated, both this DTS DVD and the DTS RBCD sound simply amazing ON MY SYSTEM. My audio dealer used to use the DTS RBCD for demos. It was/is that good but both versions would surely sound better in lossless [as in BD~V/SACD].....NO doubt about that.

Since the Eagles are supposedly opposed to surround treatment of their back catalogue, all that remains on physical disc is this DTS RBCD and the DVD~A of Hotel California.........slim pickins' indeed.

If it already sounds "amazing" in dts, how would you quantify the sound in an uncompressed format? ;)

If it already sounds "amazing" in dts, how would you quantify the sound in an uncompressed format? ;)

Astounding!

There were a handful of DTS RBCDs which do sound 'amazing' on my system but lossless technology trumps lossy in every instance. I'm using a Meridian reference player and the Meridian SooLoos and both are state of the art for RBCD playback so these DTS discs when done with care provide a higher level of sound than I derive from my lesser RBCD players.

For instance, If I played you Lyle Lovett's Joshua Loves Ruth (DTS RBCD) on my system, you'd swear it was LOSSLESS......it's that 'extremely' good.

OT: In a shootout between the DTS RBCD of Beck, Bogert & Appice and the newly mastered SONY Japanese mch SACD, the latter TRUMPS the former by a considerably wide margin. The DTS RBCD was mastered from a 16/44.1 ADAT tape so what can one reasonably expect. Garbage IN....Garbage OUT.

Astounding!

There were a handful of DTS RBCDs which do sound 'amazing' on my system but lossless technology trumps lossy in every instance. I'm using a Meridian reference player and the Meridian SooLoos and both are state of the art for RBCD playback so these DTS discs when done with care provide a higher level of sound than I derive from my lesser RBCD players.

For instance, If I played you Lyle Lovett's Joshua Loves Ruth (DTS RBCD) on my system, you'd swear it was LOSSLESS......it's that 'extremely' good.

OT: In a shootout between the DTS RBCD of Beck, Bogert & Appice and the newly mastered SONY Japanese mch SACD, the latter TRUMPS the former by a considerably wide margin. The DTS RBCD was mastered from a 16/44.1 ADAT tape so what can one reasonably expect. Garbage IN....Garbage OUT.

My take is that dts cd's don't sound near as good as dts dvd. I have done comparisons using my own encodes and the differences were very apparent. Your player can't make up for the deficiencies, sorry. I am sure they sound good but if you encode a high-resolution multichannel recording in both max bitrate dts-cd and max bitrate dts-dvd, it really isn't close played back on the same player like the Oppo 83se or my PC to the processor.

I have that BBA disc and like it a lot! I have no doubt that the SACD blows it away. If I ripped the SACD and converted it to dts-dvd the difference wouldn't be as great from my experience. Point is, not all dts is created equal.

I guess I meant, since the seller has so many, at such a low price, I wonder if they are bootlegs. For $11 I guess I'll find out and report back.

His feedback isn't perfect but it isn't poor either, I would risk it if I didn't have it.

I guess I meant, since the seller has so many, at such a low price, I wonder if they are bootlegs. For $11 I guess I'll find out and report back.

There was one 5 star review EB and the customer expressed satisfaction so doubtful it's a bootleg. And it is OOP so $11 delivered ain't such a bad deal.

This disc is a must have if only for the DTS audio of "Seven Bridges Road" that was so kindly tacked on the end. This track is my favorite discreet surround sound test song and Joe Walsh's harmony vocals are terrifyingly immaculate.

Just listened to this again last night. Most of the disc is quite good with instruments sounding clear to me, but the vocals are not discrete with the exception of the final track as mentioned by Jason. If the entire disc were mixed like "Seven Bridges Road" this disc would be an easy 11. Rather than saying "alas, they were not," I would say get this disc or the DVD if only for "Seven Bridges Road" which is stunning. "Seven Bridges Road" is available as an audio only bonus on the DVD, so there is no specific reason to pony up for the more expensive DTS CD.

I give this an 8 because it is good, but a missed opportunity since they prove on the final track that they know how to make a spectacular vocal mix, yet chose to do it on one track only.

Ships from South Korea sooooooooo yeah prob bootleg :rolleyes:

Well, as far as Baggy can tell it's legit. Picture is a bit grainy on my giant screen, but I guess that's expected with 1994 technology. And it's full screen.
The credits at the end scroll hella fast and are kinda jittery. Not sure if that's a region conversion kinda thing - fps or whatnot or if that is just how the DVD has always been. Case says NTSC.
Did the original come with a booklet? This one comes in just a black DVD case with outside cover. No booklet. Disc appears pressed and disc printing looks good.
The music sounds great! Awesome songs, good performances, excellent mix.

Well, as far as Baggy can tell it's legit. Picture is a bit grainy on my giant screen, but I guess that's expected with 1994 technology. And it's full screen.
The credits at the end scroll hella fast and are kinda jittery. Not sure if that's a region conversion kinda thing - fps or whatnot or if that is just how the DVD has always been. Case says NTSC.
Did the original come with a booklet? This one comes in just a black DVD case with outside cover. No booklet. Disc appears pressed and disc printing looks good.

Just got my DVD today from Korea. edisonbaggins description is right on. I am very impressed with the content. Amazing these guys were apart for 14 years. Sound is good but not great except for Seven Bridges which is spectacular. There's a bit of thickness to most of the presentation, vocals are fixed to the center channel for the most part (as previously stated), and the backing orchestra is barely discernible. These are quibbles though. In conjunction with the video performance, overall this is one heck of a show!

Mine has a single sided glossy insert chapter index included inside.

Back