Lightbulb Sun DVD-A Due In 2008

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just picked this one up from my local record store. I was surprised I thought it was sold out. Sweet.

Are the Japan issues much different really? (emphasis on really!)

Other than the higher quality 'HQCD,' probably not.....although the Japanese DVD~A of Lightbulb Sun supposedly contains a 'bonus track.' I ONLY have ALL the domestic Porcupine Tree DVD~As so I was just listing these DVD~As as an alternative for those unable to find the OOP domestic PT remasters. The Japanese remasters also come in Mini LP packaging. List Price for the Japanese DVD~A PT remasters is $30US.

However, Fear Of a Blank Planet is curiously the only one of the domestic releases in LOSSY DTS 5.1 (w/ a 96/24 stereo remaster) so I am wondering if the Japanese DVD~A is LOSSY (or LOSSLESS) as well. Perhaps someone who owns the Japanese DVD~A remaster can enlighten us?

Also, the Japanese DVD~A of Blank Planet also states the inclusion of a bonus track, as well!

I thought Deadwing and In Absentia were OOP looong ago. No?
I guess only domestically?

Yeah the DVDA discs made by DTS (in the US and Europe) became OOP at least 5 years ago if not earlier than that. I got lucky and purchased both of them through Burning Shed back in the summer of 2009 (some of their last remaining copies of those discs), before I really became interested in audio-only surround discs and before I really started posting on this forum. Of course it's now fairly obvious that surround and QQ turned into a very healthy obsession for me. ;)

Are they different than the Japanese ones?

No. From what I have just seen on Discogs.com, all of the DVDA discs for Porcupine Tree that were released in Japan are identical to the ones released here in the US and Europe. The exact same content and all in the exact same quality.

No. From what I have just seen on Discogs.com, all of the DVDA discs for Porcupine Tree that were released in Japan are identical to the ones released here in the US and Europe. The exact same content and all in the exact same quality.

As long as they're not worse, I'm happy. I know how there can be different mixes, like with Layla...
Knowing my luck, now that I've purchased Deadwing and IA, SW will probably release his own 5.1 mixes.
If so, you're welcome. :confused:

As long as they're not worse, I'm happy. I know how there can be different mixes, like with Layla...
Knowing my luck, now that I've purchased Deadwing and IA, SW will probably release his own 5.1 mixes.
If so, you're welcome. :confused:

He's been wanting to properly reissue (and maybe even remix) "In Absentia" and "Deadwing" for years, but unfortunately since he and the band don't own the recording rights to those albums, it's totally out of their control as to if and when proper reissues of those albums will ever happen.

I grabbed these as well once they became available, 2008:ish. Now I notice that they're up on discogs for decent prices, so shouldn't be too expensive to grab what was Stevens first steps in to 5.1.

I grabbed these as well once they became available, 2008:ish. Now I notice that they're up on discogs for decent prices, so shouldn't be too expensive to grab what was Stevens first steps in to 5.1.

Dude, please call me "Twocats" cause that's what I have for pets.

I bought a bunch of DVD-As direct from Steven Wilson's Headphone Dust Store, incl. Lightbulb Sun. I enjoy the 5.1 mix SO much more than the 2.0 CD.

I agree with Timbre though, Stupid Dream is a must for any collection. From Start to finish, what a fabulous & fun record.

http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/headphonedust/stupid-dream-cddvda/

I hope Deadwing gets remixed & released again, it got brick-walled by none other than Elliot Sheiner:mad:

Back