Katatonia - Great Cold Distance: 5.1 Mix DVD-A

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do. I actually have it and must say it's a great record.

I was reluctant at first to part with my cash because Jens Bogren did the 5.1 mix and he was the one who fucked up Opeth's "Ghost Reveries" by not doing much with the surround. Yet I still went ahead and bought it and must say I was pleasantly surprised.

The sound is HUGE and while the mix isn't exactly up to Porcupine Tree standards it's still pretty lively and very well done, very well adapted to the music.

If you like heavy guitars, thunderous drums, some smart electronica (very little though) combined with lyrics drenched in melancholy (no grunts on this one by the way) than you should definitely get this.

Talk about a blast from the past!
This particular Katatonia album is being reissued for its 10th anniversary with a NEW 5.1 surround mix, mixed by Bruce Soord!
(The first 5.1 mix of this album was mixed by Jens Borgen.)
Along with Blackfield V, this will be one of the first 5.1 releases of 2017!

Pre-order at Burning Shed: Katatonia
The Great Cold Distance (10th Anniversary Edition) (quadruple disc box set preorder)

The Deluxe four disc 10th Anniversary version of Katatonia's 2006 classic The Great Cold Distance presented in a 40 page hardback book.

---------

Hailed as one of the leaders of the death-doom genre alongside My Dying Bride and Paradise Lost, Sweden's Katatonia have spent 25 years constantly evolving into the much-loved purveyor of dark progressive rock/metal they are today.

2016 marks not only the band's 25th anniversary, but also 10 years since the release of their highly regarded Peaceville album The Great Cold Distance.

Founding guitarist Anders Nystrom comments:

"Looking back at our set lists from a historic perspective, it dawned on us that there's been no other album from which we've played more songs than The Great Cold Distance, so in the light of its 10th anniversary, it's with much pride and joy that we announce the ultimate edition featuring all the scattered bits and pieces related to this album."

---------

This deluxe edition will include 3 bonus discs featuring b-sides and bonus songs, a new 5.1 remix of the album by Bruce Soord and a live album of Katatonia playing The Great Cold Distance in its entirety with the renowned Plovdiv Philharmonic Orchestra in Bulgaria (from September 2016).

The beautiful design comes courtesy of long time collaborator Travis Smith.

Pre-order for 20th January release.

:)

I used to like this band a few years back, not that into them today. Indeed this is a blast from the past, will get this if good prize setting.

Great band. I have the original but will certainly get the re-release. Of course Bruce has worked a lot with Jonas Renkse on the "Wisdom of Crowds" project, so they have a great mutual understanding and I expect that Bruce's mix will be top drawer. :)

a nice shot of the new set,

large6428.jpg

Their latest studio album was mixed by BS too. I have not got into the music on that album much myself yet. I do like their Dead End Kings and the Dethroned and Uncrowned albums, https://www.burningshed.com/store/kscope/product/272/7764/

It's funny, people either seem to love the new one, or simply aren't into it. There doesn't really seem to be a lot of "it's good, not great" opinions going around. Me personally, I LOVE the new one, and think it's some of their strongest work yet. But I also LOVE Last fair deal, GCD, Night is the New Day (MAYBE THIS ONE'S COMING NEXT???), DEK, Dethroned...

I know. But I am not ruling that album out yet. Sometimes it needs a bit more time. I remember Gazpacho's March Of Ghosts. First time it did not click at all. Skipped trought some songs afterwards and left it aside. Until I listened to it one day and it totally rocked from start to finish, it is now my favorite album of theirs.

I know. But I am not ruling that album out yet. Sometimes it needs a bit more time. I remember Gazpacho's March Of Ghosts. First time it did not click at all. Skipped trought some songs afterwards and left it aside. Until I listened to it one day and it totally rocked from start to finish, it is now my favorite album of theirs.

MAN I wish they'd do 5.1 :(

https://mobile.twitter.com/bsoord/status/789244456184717312

Bruce just tweeted:
Also mixing @KatatoniaBand's recent live orchestral performance of 'The Great Cold Distance' in stereo and 5.1. It's a Katatonia bonanza!

So, time to speculate. All I've read is that it's 4 discs, but not what the discs actually are. I assumed 3 CD and 1 DVD. But with the inclusion of the live performance in 5.1, this kind of opens up some different possibilities...

On the one hand, this could mean that we're still getting a single DVD with lossy audio, and the live performance crammed on there as well, or possibly 2 DVD with the studio GCD as DVD-audio, OR... possibly a blu-ray?? Certainly Seems possible with Nosound and Blackfield going blu.

Great band. I have the original but will certainly get the re-release. Of course Bruce has worked a lot with Jonas Renkse on the "Wisdom of Crowds" project, so they have a great mutual understanding and I expect that Bruce's mix will be top drawer. :)
Totally agree! I wish Bruce also could mix "Wisdom of Crowds" in 5.1 in near future. Love this album!

Will get the chance to see them in December as they tour Australia for the first time. And what an awesome looking set too. I'll be sure to pick this up as their recent 10th Anniversary albums in Last Fair Deal Gone Down and Viva Emptiness (which also got remixed) were very good as well. Maybe it's a little late now although they can always go back to them, but if only got Bruce to mix those albums in 5.1 back then else we'd have High-Res stereo tracks of those albums too. Never say never though - can still happen. :)

Their latest Fall of Hearts album is very good too. If only I can track down those other bonus tracks. Suppose I'll have to buy those other editions then, Japanese version with Judas Priest cover included. :p

Back