ARCHIVE PROJECT: Post compilation track listings here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GENERAL ELECTRIC 4 Channel. Project 3 PRQ8-5000GE (Q8)
GENERAL ELECTRIC 4 Channel. Project 3 PRQ8-5000GE (Q8)a.jpg
GENERAL ELECTRIC 4 Channel. Project 3 PRQ8-5000GE (Q8)b.jpg

CBS Sony Invites You to the World of Quadraphonic Sound. QSP 13018 (SQ)

A1 Chase-Open Up Wide (Excerpt)
A2 Company-Company (Excerpt)
A3 Walter Carlos-Air On A G String
A4 Columbia Brass Ensemble-Canzon Septimi Toni No. 2
A5 Redbone-The Witch Queen Of New Orleans
A6 New York Philharmonic-Russian Dance From Petrushka
A7 Peter Matz-The Best Of Burt Bacharach

B1 New York Philharmonic-Act III Opening From Swan Lake Ballet
B2 Peter Nero-Theme From "Summer Of '42"
B3 Percy Faith-Love Theme From "The Godfather"
B4 Ray Conniff-It's Impossible
B5 Brian Goldwyn Orchestra-Ay Maria Magdalena
B6 Blood Sweat & Tears-Spinning Wheel
B7 Santana-Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen

Is this track B5 Brian Goldwyn Orchestra-Ay Maria Magdalena unique to this compilation in Quad?

Similar to Fredblue's question, are the Mike Quatro tracks unique to quad compilation records? I haven't seen a reference to his work released in quad outside of compilations.

Supersonic Quadraphonic Sound Spectacular
Interfusion (LQ 34,950) (QMX42485)
5. Mike Quatro Jam Band: PRELUDE IN Ab CRAZY
5. Mike Quatro Jam Band:RACHMANINOFF PRELUDE
Zenith Allegro Compatible Stereo & 4 Channel Demonstration Record
Zenith 16302 F3041R
(specially produced for Zenith by Stereo Dimension Records)
4. Prelude in A flat Crazy (Classical Variations) - The Mike Quatro Jam Band

I seem to recall there was a German band similar to BS&T that had one track on a compilation not released in quad anywhere else.

It might be interesting to compile a list of tracks that only ever appeared in quad on quad compilations.

Similar to Fredblue's question, are the Mike Quatro tracks unique to quad compilation records? I haven't seen a reference to his work released in quad outside of compilations.

I seem to recall there was a German band similar to BS&T that had one track on a compilation not released in quad anywhere else.

It might be interesting to compile a list of tracks that only ever appeared in quad on quad compilations.

The band you're thinking about is Lighthouse, and they're Canadian, not German. Interfusion released a quad compilation album, only in Australia and New Zealand, that features their track "One Fine Morning", which does have a BS&T, Chicago-like sound and was a hit for them in the 70's. The album was encoded in EV Stereo-4, compatible with QS, and it's a great track. The American version of the album, sold through Olsen Electronics, left that track out.

OK, Tag. Your It. Our, If anyone wants to take on the compilation only listing, please proceed, it could be interesting.

I am not familiar with the artist in question so I cannot help with identifying if the compilation is the only release but will certainly do some investigating.

The band you're thinking about is Lighthouse, and they're Canadian, not German. Interfusion released a quad compilation album, only in Australia and New Zealand, that features their track "One Fine Morning", which does have a BS&T, Chicago-like sound and was a hit for them in the 70's. The album was encoded in EV Stereo-4, compatible with QS, and it's a great track. The American version of the album, sold through Olsen Electronics, left that track out.

Thanks for that suggestion - I enjoyed listening to that track, and a search of this thread showed they had one other, Hats Off (To The Stranger) that was also on quad samplers. Definite similarity to BS&T. I wouldn't mind stumbling across a good rip of those.

However, the band I was thinking about turns out to be Round House (so fairly close) and the track came from their Down To Earth album - I can't recall the actual track but the comp is already on Mark's site. On reflection a bit more Chicago than BS&T. Seems they may have been Swiss rather than German.

Various Artists
Sony SQ Sound
CBS Special Products
QSP 900
Quadraphonic format SQ
Format - Triple LP Box (vinyl)
Country of origin Germany

Tracklist:

Side 1:
Barbara Streisand - Don't rain on my parade
Johnny Mathis - We've only just begun
Percy Faith, his orchestra and chorus - Raza
Santana - Black magic woman / Gipsy queen
Ray Conniff & The singers - It's impossible
Ruby Keeler & The original cast - Take a little one-step / Finale (from No, no, Nanette)

Side 2:
Percy Faith, his orchestra and chorus - Good morning starshine (from Hair)
Lynn Anderson - Snowbird
Andy Williams - Something
Janis Joplin - Me and Bobby McGee
Ray Price - Help me make it through the night
Dean Jones & The original cast - We do without you (from Company)

Side 3:
Chase - Open up wide
Santana - Oye como va
Barbara Streisand - Free the people
Johnny Mathis - You've got a friend
Bloomfield, Kooper & Stills - Stop

Side 4:
Miles Davis - Miles runs the voodoo down
Redbone - The witch queen of New Orleans
Percy Faith & His orchestra and chorus - Aquarius
Lynn Anderson - Rose garden
Sly and the family stone - I want to take you higher

Side 5:
Richard Strauss - Also sprach Zarathustra - New York Philharmonic, Leonard Bernstein
Igor Strawinsky - Petruschka - New York Philharmonic, Leonard Bernstein
Bach - Chorale Prelude Wachet auf - Walter Carlos with the assistance of Benjamin Folkman

Side 6:
Bach - Brandenburg concerto No. 3 in G major, 1st movement - Walter Carlos with the assistance of Benjamin Folkman
Verdi - Requiem Dies irae - London Symphony Orchestra, Leonard Bernstein
Leonard Bernstein - Mass Credo - Leonard Bernstein

Sony SQ Sound.JPG

Label.jpg

Inserts included with box:

Insert 2.jpg

Insert Page 1.jpg

Insert Page 2.jpg

Insert Page 3.jpg

Thanks krkier. This is one I missed. I appreciate the pictures and alerting us to it's existence!
I am aware of QSP 910 & 920, SO THIS WAS A SURPRISE.

Onkyo 8Track 4 Channel Demo Tape (4TC-05)

(Presumably this was a Japan-only release that came with Onkyo Q8 equipment.)

This is the tracklist, hopefully I've transcribed the Japanese kanji correctly. English translations in brackets beside. Some of the material on here (Circle Game, Theme from Z) seems to be the same as the Onkyo 7" QS sampler TX4-1703, but this is the first discrete version of any of this that I've come across.

Side 1
  • ナレーション ("Narration")
  • マッシュ ("Mash")
  • ュー ("Ue")

Side 2
  • サークルゲーム ("Circle Game")
  • Zのテーマ ("Z's Theme")
  • テオレマ ("Teorema")

レインボー・ストリングス (The Rainbow Strings)

onkyo-japan-demo-tape.jpg

Onkyo 8Track 4 Channel Demo Tape (4TC-05)

(Presumably this was a Japan-only release that came with Onkyo Q8 equipment.)

This is the tracklist, hopefully I've transcribed the Japanese kanji correctly. English translations in brackets beside. Some of the material on here (Circle Game, Theme from Z) seems to be the same as the Onkyo 7" QS sampler TX4-1703, but this is the first discrete version of any of this that I've come across.

Side 1
  • ナレーション ("Narration")
  • マッシュ ("Mash")
  • ュー ("Ue")

Side 2
  • サークルゲーム ("Circle Game")
  • Zのテーマ ("Z's Theme")
  • テオレマ ("Teorema")

レインボー・ストリングス (The Rainbow Strings)
Thanks, I have added this to the list and hope to have it officially updated after some other HTML chores

I have 2 Lighthouse tracks in quad EV-4 , FWIW .

The tracks are : "One Fine Morning " and "Hats Off To The Stranger " both from different (vinyl) Evolution Stereo Sound Dimension Quadraphonic Samplers .
So the track "Take It Slow " would be a THIRD quad song from Lighthouse .

SONY QUADRADIAL STEREO DEMONSTRATION CARTRIDGE (CD-901)

Side 1:
  1. Ebb Tide
  2. Maltese Melody
  3. Bitter Sweet Samba
Side 2:
  1. Atakama II
  2. You Don't Have To Say You Love Me

Another rarity from @bigbillquad 's Japanese Q8 haul from last year, this may be the only Q8 (sampler or otherwise) that CBS/Sony Japan ever issued. Interesting that they use the term 'quadradial stereo' instead of quadraphonic, and also interesting that the tape bears a 1971 copyright date, which means it definitely came out before any of CBS's US quad product.

The only performer credit on the tape is 'Sing Yasuko Ooki' - I did some googling and there was a singer called Yasuko Oki (in Japanese: 大木康子) who was signed to CBS/Sony Japan from the late 60s through the 70s and released many albums and singles (although surprisingly, none in quad) for the label, so I'm guessing it's probably her.

Optonica 4 Channel / Sharp Quad Stereo 8 (No catalog number)

Side 1:
  1. S L 効果音 ("S L Sound Effect")
  2. ナレーション (Z のテーマ) ("Narration (Z's Theme)")
Side 2:
  1. マツシュ ("MASH")
  2. ひまわり ("Sunflower")
Performer: レインボー・グランド・オーケストラ ("Rainbow Grand Orchestra")

(Another one from @bigbillquad 's collection.)

Back