Hollins and Starr Sidewalks Talking

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefe1

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Now I just picked up this record, thinking that I was getting a matrix encoded lp as well as some interesting psyche/folk music. According to the discography there was no stereo only release and this record was released originally as EV then QS and SQ encoded. There is also a quad 8 track.

The problem is the copy I got is marked stereo, OV/14-07 and dated 1970. There is no notation on the cover or label referring to quad at all. So what gives? Is this an unmarked quad record? From 1970? Or is it a rare stereo only release? I played with the QS and SQ settings on my Sansui on a few songs and the rear channels appear to be active but I can't be sure if this is planned or a happy coincidence......

Jeff

I have the quad 8 track, but have no player.
I picked up a buch of quad 8 tracks that were in great condition but were mostly unkown artist and this was one of them. How is it.

I have had the same question regarding some of the Ovation titles that I know were released prior to the QS or RM format. posted this in another forum
-------------------
Thanks for the info,
I found another Ovation title that was also listed in Quad Incorporated with the same statement that was stereo. The title had a release dates prior to QS matrix vinyl being released. So for some fun homework, it would be interesting to compare Ovation release dates compared to the release of the first QS release dates.

PAUL HORN -
And the Concert Ensemble. Ovation OVQD-1405 (QS), Q-109
[previously J-18293] (QR), Q-8109 [previously L-7293] (Q8)
{The title above had been reported in 1979 by the publication "Quad Incorporated" to only be in quad, with no stereo version known. This album was actually released in 1970 in stereo as No. OV/14-05 with a green label and number 956C-1405 on the label.
--------------------------------------------
It could be that the early Ovation titles were originally released in EV format. Vinylguy4 mentioned the following in that thread.
I wonder if the later QS versions were actually still EV?
---------------------------------------------

05-20-2007, 11:53 PM #5
vinylguy4

Posts: 49 Re: Harvey Mandel - Get Off In Chicago stereo + Quad

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My copy of Paul Horn
has a gold sticker on front cover that says -
Produceded on EV- Stereo-4 System.
Record label makes no mention of EV or quad, just says Stereo.
Number OV/14-05
Two cuts from LP also on EV sampler OD/1

That brings up another curiosity.
One copy of Ovation sampler OD/1 make absolutely no mention of type of matrix encoding. This also has a 4 page flyer that says nothing about the type or encoding.
The other copy of OD/1 has EV all over it.
Etching in run-out also different.
Was there a type of encoding before EV?

Vinylguy4

Now I just picked up this record, thinking that I was getting a matrix encoded lp as well as some interesting psyche/folk music. According to the discography there was no stereo only release and this record was released originally as EV then QS and SQ encoded. There is also a quad 8 track.

The problem is the copy I got is marked stereo, OV/14-07 and dated 1970. There is no notation on the cover or label referring to quad at all. So what gives? Is this an unmarked quad record? From 1970? Or is it a rare stereo only release? I played with the QS and SQ settings on my Sansui on a few songs and the rear channels appear to be active but I can't be sure if this is planned or a happy coincidence......

Jeff

This is an EV-encoded record. Ovation never did anything in SQ. If the record label shows the number as OVQD 14-07, you have a defininte EV copy. I also have this album, and coincidentally, just dubbed it onto a CD this morning! This album did come out in the early '70's, but I don't know exactly what year.

I have had the same question regarding some of the Ovation titles that I know were released prior to the QS or RM format. posted this in another forum
-------------------
Thanks for the info,
I found another Ovation title that was also listed in Quad Incorporated with the same statement that was stereo. The title had a release dates prior to QS matrix vinyl being released. So for some fun homework, it would be interesting to compare Ovation release dates compared to the release of the first QS release dates.

PAUL HORN -
And the Concert Ensemble. Ovation OVQD-1405 (QS), Q-109
[previously J-18293] (QR), Q-8109 [previously L-7293] (Q8)
{The title above had been reported in 1979 by the publication "Quad Incorporated" to only be in quad, with no stereo version known. This album was actually released in 1970 in stereo as No. OV/14-05 with a green label and number 956C-1405 on the label.
--------------------------------------------
It could be that the early Ovation titles were originally released in EV format. Vinylguy4 mentioned the following in that thread.
I wonder if the later QS versions were actually still EV?
---------------------------------------------

05-20-2007, 11:53 PM #5
vinylguy4

Posts: 49 Re: Harvey Mandel - Get Off In Chicago stereo + Quad

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My copy of Paul Horn
has a gold sticker on front cover that says -
Produceded on EV- Stereo-4 System.
Record label makes no mention of EV or quad, just says Stereo.
Number OV/14-05
Two cuts from LP also on EV sampler OD/1

That brings up another curiosity.
One copy of Ovation sampler OD/1 make absolutely no mention of type of matrix encoding. This also has a 4 page flyer that says nothing about the type or encoding.
The other copy of OD/1 has EV all over it.
Etching in run-out also different.
Was there a type of encoding before EV?

Vinylguy4

Not so much an encoding system, but Dynaquad existed before the EV Stereo-4 system. While some recordings were encoded with Dynaquad, the process was more for listening to stereo records and making use of the out-of-phase information they posessed. The Dynaquad processor worked post-amplification, so it could be used with any stereo amplifier.

Well, I just picked up a used copy of the Paul Horn lp for 50 cents last weekend on the chance it was an umarked quad. This is an Ovation stereo green label with a 1970 date on the cover and OV/14-05 on the label.
I played it on my Sansui QS setting and boy does it sound quad to me! So maybe it is encoded? The problem is the line between stereo that synthesizes well and poorly encoded quad is hard to tell....
But this is sure a well recorded record and I find most of the selections worth listening to.

Well, I just picked up a used copy of the Paul Horn lp for 50 cents last weekend on the chance it was an umarked quad. This is an Ovation stereo green label with a 1970 date on the cover and OV/14-05 on the label.
I played it on my Sansui QS setting and boy does it sound quad to me! So maybe it is encoded? The problem is the line between stereo that synthesizes well and poorly encoded quad is hard to tell....
But this is sure a well recorded record and I find most of the selections worth listening to.
It is encoded with EV or QS.

Back