HiRez Poll Goodwin, Gordon - BIG PHAT BAND XXL [DVD-A]-[Dualdisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Gordon Goodwins - BIG PHAT BAND XXL

• 8:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7:

• 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters
Fantastic album! The fidelity is as good as you'll hear... full bodied sound with deep, "phat" bass and excellent clarity from every instrument; all the instruments (and vocals) really breathe... I love mixes that have "space" in them (and I'm not talkin' astronomy)...Very discrete mix. Great mix of Big Band/Jazz tunes. I bought the DualDisc version and while it IS DVD-A, the best audio quality on the disc is 5.1 MLP 48kHz (this differs from the non-dualdisc DVD-A which I'm told is 96kHz). I notice this one is currently in the top 10 in the hi-rez poll... not quite a 10 for me, but very close...9

Hello everyone,
just got my DualDisc version of this great disc. Popped it in my Oppo player but it plays only the DVD-V version of the disc. Checked on my PC and the AUDIO_TS folder is empty. The disc has 1.9GB of information on it while the DVD-A should've been 7.9GB. So i guess we can confirm that the DUALDISC version does not have the DVD-A HI-REZ files on it, only the Dolby Digital 5.1 . Question for those who claimed that their DUALdisc has the DVDA version : are you sure ? 'cos your info may be misguiding for those who are interested in buying the disc. Anyway even in DD the sound is pretty amazing...
Cheers from Rome (Italy)
:)

Hello everyone,
just got my DualDisc version of this great disc. Popped it in my Oppo player but it plays only the DVD-V version of the disc. Checked on my PC and the AUDIO_TS folder is empty. The disc has 1.9GB of information on it while the DVD-A should've been 7.9GB. So i guess we can confirm that the DUALDISC version does not have the DVD-A HI-REZ files on it, only the Dolby Digital 5.1 . Question for those who claimed that their DUALdisc has the DVDA version : are you sure ? 'cos your info may be misguiding for those who are interested in buying the disc. Anyway even in DD the sound is pretty amazing...
Cheers from Rome (Italy)
:)
Sounds like maybe the CD layer is playing? Try flipping the disc over if you haven't already.(y)

Sounds like maybe the CD layer is playing? Try flipping the disc over if you haven't already.(y)
Well... I am not that naive 😂😂...
DVD side playing... The DVD menu is on screen and the sound is Dolby Digital 5.1... That wouldn't be happening with a CD layer... The DVD is simply not a DVD-A... Some people already wrote the same... But someone said he had a DVD-A layer playing though the audio was simply 48khz and not 96khz... I think that is a big mistake... I don't think Silverline made two different prints of the Dual Disc...

Could someone confirm what discs may be DVD-A or not.

For instance, there was a Britney Spears stand alone release on DVD-Audio. I didn’t get the title at Best Buy in 2007, and it sold out. I was able to get the Dualdisc, but it only had a regular Dolby DVD-V layer for surround playback. No DVD-A layer.

For instance, there was a Britney Spears stand alone release on DVD-Audio. I didn’t get the title at Best Buy in 2007, and it sold out. I was able to get the Dualdisc, but it only had a regular Dolby DVD-V layer for surround playback. No DVD-A layer.

The Britney Spears album is particularly interesting in that the DVD-V DualDisc used an entirely different 5.1 mix than the original DVD-A. The original Chris Haynes 5.1 on the DVD-A is far superior.

Bon Jovi Slippery when Wet Dualdisc has a DVD-A layer... And probably Eric Clapton Back Home Dualdisc as well...

Well... I am not that naive 😂😂...
DVD side playing... The DVD menu is on screen and the sound is Dolby Digital 5.1... That wouldn't be happening with a CD layer... The DVD is simply not a DVD-A... Some people already wrote the same... But someone said he had a DVD-A layer playing though the audio was simply 48khz and not 96khz... I think that is a big mistake... I don't think Silverline made two different prints of the Dual Disc...

Sorry, I wasn't inferring you were naive, that trait is reserved for me as I've put these dual discs in upside down more times than I care to count. Didn't notice you had mentioned DD, so yeah my bad. Here's the number on my DVD-A disc, and the back shot shows DualDisc on the bottom right and under it is CD/DVD with Audio under that for comparison to yours. Hope you get it sorted out or are able to return it. (y)
1626889911703.jpeg

1626889976496.jpeg

If you want the Advanced Resolution version of XXL you have to have the DVD-A. The DualDisc only has Dolby Digital.
View attachment 69270

Okay, thanks. That must be what the deal is.

I found this on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Xxl-Big-Phat-Band/dp/B0000CABHG
Quote:
“24 bit / 96 kHz DVD-Audio and 24 bit / 48 kHz Dolby Digital 5.1 options Stunning 5.1 surround sound Plays on ALL DVD players”

So, the above must be the DVD-A version, and the Dualdisc must be only a regular Dolby DVD-V.

Edit: Here are the different versions:
https://www.discogs.com/Gordon-Goodwins-Big-Phat-Band-XXL/release/12706330

On my DualDisc, Oppo shows MLP 5.1 but only 48K. My receiver is picking it up as PCM and not DD. Isn't MLP 96k?:unsure: Clear as mud...

MLP can be technically, 24 bit - 48 kHz. More often than not, usually see 24 - 96 MLP. But yes, annoying all these different versions. Many titles misused the DVD-Auto logo as well.

Edit: One’s settings on a DVD player can determine playback.

EDIT 2: You can have 24 - 48 PCM on a regular DVD, but in Stereo, if memory serves.

EDIT 3: Barcode numbers:

DVD-Audio:: 6 76628 82069 8

Dualdisc: 6 76628 41042 4

Sorry, I wasn't inferring you were naive, that trait is reserved for me as I've put these dual discs in upside down more times than I care to count. Didn't notice you had mentioned DD, so yeah my bad. Here's the number on my DVD-A disc, and the back shot shows DualDisc on the bottom right and under it is CD/DVD with Audio under that for comparison to yours. Hope you get it sorted out or are able to return it. (y)
No worries mate... Yes I have the same disc and of course the back cover is misguiding... Anyway not returning the item 'cos I paid 8 euros for it and the mix in DD is still great fun to listen to... Initially I was worried something was wrong with my disc or the player since people said they had the DVD A layer but now I know for sure that the dual disc is only a DVDV... Case closed...
😎😉

No worries mate... Yes I have the same disc and of course the back cover is misguiding... Anyway not returning the item 'cos I paid 8 euros for it and the mix in DD is still great fun to listen to... Initially I was worried something was wrong with my disc or the player since people said they had the DVD A layer but now I know for sure that the dual disc is only a DVDV... Case closed...
😎😉
If your disc is identical to mine, this should be the info screen from your Oppo below. I think the issue may be in your Oppo settings, worth checking anyway. Go to Settings> Audio Output Settings>DVD Audio and select DVD Audio as your default as opposed to DVD Video (which will play DD). If your disc is in while you do this, you'll have to eject the disc and restart for the new setting to take effect. Hope this works for you.
1626917868744.jpeg

Last edited:
Back