HiRez Poll Goodwin, Gordon - BIG PHAT BAND XXL [DVD-A]-[Dualdisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Gordon Goodwins - BIG PHAT BAND XXL

• 8:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7:

• 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2003 DVD-Audio release from, er, Silverline! :D

MOD NOTE: Please note there are 2 format releases of this title:

DVD-Audio with 24/96 Hi-Rez audio.

Dualdisc: Regular Dolby on a DVD-V disc.

Excellent timing! I literally just got this about a week ago (or less). Haven't even opened it up, though. I heard it ain't bad for a Silverline release, so I look forward to listening to it and hearing myself.

Quite simply - a reference disc. For those that knock Silverline (an earned reputation to be sure), here is an example of their capability of knocking it out of the park - sequel to Swinging For The Fences pun intended ;)

Of interest...here's an interview I did with Goodwin and Gary Lux (who did the 5.1 mix). Kinda sad re-reading the interview and finding Goodwin on a roll and saying the next release would follow quickly (this was 2003).

I mean, on top of the awesome hi-res surround mix, this DVD-A has audio commentary, behind the scenes stuff, transcriptions, the works. Truly a reference.

If you can find it - pick it up without hesitation.

Last edited:
Picked this up recently for £3:00 ($6:00) factory sealed. If only all silverlline discs had been this good !! agree with Felix on this.

recommended.

XXL: larger than life!

This one's got it all. A 10 from me. Damn, I just dig the way the horn section is pronounced in this 5.1 mix...
some wonder-brass right there! Yes, this disc goes even further than its predecessor Swingin' For The Fences.

Totally awesome release, but sometimes "so many notes" deserve your *full* concentration. And finally, there's plenty of extras hardly to be found on any other disc.

I love the 5.1 mix on this one and the same goes for "Swingin' for the Fences"! They are some of my favorites to play for visitors. Makes me wish there were more Big Phat Band releases in surround (even though the stereo mixes on the CD's are top-notch). Speaking of stereo, has anyone else noticed that the 2.0 mixes, MLP and DD, on this disc are effectively mono? There are two tracks, alright...but both have the same information. Everything is panned center. After discovering this, I checked the 2.0 mixes "Swingin' for the Fences" and everything is as it should be on that one.

I thought I must be imagining things or having a player issue, so I ripped the tracks to FLAC with DVD-Audio extractor. Same result. If you run the track through Pro-Logic decoding, everything comes out of the center channel. I also have the CD of XXL, so I know the stereo mix was not intended to be that way. This would have to be a monumental level production goof. Then again...it is Silverline.

I love the 5.1 mix on this one and the same goes for "Swingin' for the Fences"! They are some of my favorites to play for visitors. Makes me wish there were more Big Phat Band releases in surround (even though the stereo mixes on the CD's are top-notch). Speaking of stereo, has anyone else noticed that the 2.0 mixes, MLP and DD, on this disc are effectively mono? There are two tracks, alright...but both have the same information. Everything is panned center. After discovering this, I checked the 2.0 mixes "Swingin' for the Fences" and everything is as it should be on that one.

I thought I must be imagining things or having a player issue, so I ripped the tracks to FLAC with DVD-Audio extractor. Same result. If you run the track through Pro-Logic decoding, everything comes out of the center channel. I also have the CD of XXL, so I know the stereo mix was not intended to be that way. This would have to be a monumental level production goof. Then again...it is Silverline.

if you don't have it already, there's the CD/DVD set of Gordon Goodwin's "Act Your Age" with a great 5.1 mix of the album (in Dolby Digital, no Adv'd Res DVD-A).

http://www.bigphatband.com/act-your-age

Ps. Welcome to QQ, Kusanagi :)

For more Big Band in Surround, I'd also recommend:

Les Brown and His Band of Renown - Session #55 (DTS CD),
The Full Swing - Mark O'Connor's Hot Swing Trio (SACD) (*),
Two For The Road - Dave Grusin (DTS CD),
Ultimate Mancini (Hybrid SACD),
Ray Sings, Basie Swings - Ray Charles & Count Basie (Hybrid SACD),
Upswing! - The Pete Cater Big Band (Hybrid SACD)

(* while not strictly Big Band its the most terrific swing in a fab surround mix and both the Mark O'Connor SACD and Les Brown DTS discs feature guest vocals from the wonderful Jane Monheit)

Thanks for the welcome! I will look into those titles you recommended. I have "Act Your Age" on CD and have wondered about the DVD version. I will keep an eye out for it!

You're welcome for the welcome! :p

We're a friendly bunch round here :) (we mostly get cranky when we're kept waiting for new 5.1 releases to come out though! :eek: )

I'd say The "Act Your Age" DVD set is definitely worth it if you enjoyed "XXL" and "Swingin' For The Fences", the 5.1 mix is upto the same standard as the other two DVD-A's. It's about as good as Dolby Digital gets for music, imho.

I don't own the other Gordon Goodwin CD/DVD set "The Phat Pack", so can't comment on whether it has a 5.1 mix of that album or not.

You're welcome for the welcome! :p

We're a friendly bunch round here :) (we mostly get cranky when we're kept waiting for new 5.1 releases to come out though! :eek: )

I'd say The "Act Your Age" DVD set is definitely worth it if you enjoyed "XXL" and "Swingin' For The Fences", the 5.1 mix is upto the same standard as the other two DVD-A's. It's about as good as Dolby Digital gets for music, imho.

I don't own the other Gordon Goodwin CD/DVD set "The Phat Pack", so can't comment on whether it has a 5.1 mix of that album or not.

And we've been cranky a few times recently :D!

The references on here are to the XXL DVD-A. I've just checked and this seems to be an expensive purchase, whereas you can get the DualDisc (2-Sided Disc CD + DVD) version relatively cheaply on Amazon marketplace. Does this cheaper option have the same 5.1 mix as the DVD-A?

image.jpg
And we've been cranky a few times recently :D!

The references on here are to the XXL DVD-A. I've just checked and this seems to be an expensive purchase, whereas you can get the DualDisc (2-Sided Disc CD + DVD) version relatively cheaply on Amazon marketplace. Does this cheaper option have the same 5.1 mix as the DVD-A?

Haha!! :D

I don't know about the DualDisc versions I'm afraid, I only have the standalone DVD-A's :spot

aren't they a lovely pair..? ;)

oh and as one of QQ's (self-appointed!) crash test dummy Guinea pigs, I've ordered the "Phat Pack" CD/DVD set so ya'all don't have to! (to see if it does indeed have 5.1..!).

I'm pretty sure it does as its on the 5.1 Entertainment label again and the Amazon listing gives 5.1 versions of all tracks on DVD contents.

vee shall seeeeeeee..!! :p

View attachment 11855

Haha!! :D

I don't know about the DualDisc versions I'm afraid, I only have the standalone DVD-A's :spot
:cool:
aren't they a lovely pair..? ;)

The dual disc of XXL arrived and it does have advanced resolution 5.1, as well as dolby, and the music and sound are amazing. Thanks QQ for the recommendation!

Mr Blue - did your Phat Pack arrive?

The dual disc of XXL arrived and it does have advanced resolution 5.1, as well as dolby, and the music and sound are amazing. Thanks QQ for the recommendation!

Mr Blue - did your Phat Pack arrive?

apologies for late reply :eek: The Phat Pack CD/DVD arrived, I can confirm its a Dolby Digital 5.1 DVD-V, surround mix equally as good as the others, after one listen though the music itself is less interesting/engaging than the other 3 albums (despite guests of the calibre of David Sanborn etc).

I just picked up a used copy of this dualdisc, and it only has Dolby Digital 5.1. No hi rez. Still sounds good to em, and it was only $2.00!

J. D.

Went with an easy 10. At $16 this was a steal.
My Dualdisc has labels for DVD-A and Dolby, including Dolby headphone mixes.
My player/receiver setup defaulted to PCM 5.1 :51banana:
Mix and music are outstanding. Mostly high-energy, so don't put this on when you want to relax... Haha

This is the first I've heard about it. I know Gordon. He's a MONSTER player and the sole "heir apparent" to large ensemble JAZZ (not nostalgia/dance) left in the music business. These are dark times for Large Ensemble Jazz groups. It was what I planned on making my living at when I majored in Music in the '80's, and the marketplace has been a long slow slide into commercial irrelevance/musical illiteracy ever since. I made an okay living playing Brass Quintet and utility gigs as a Classical player, (and contract work for traveling acts coming through my part of the Country) and I LOVE that music as well, but it's never been my FIRST love. THAT belongs to Woody, Maynard, Buddy Rich and Stan Kenton. (Honorable mentions for Basie and Ellington.) Ellington predated everybody, except maybe Whiteman, but it took time to seek that music out back during the pre-internet era. :phones I'm on getting it right now. Thanks for the heads up.....

Back