Daivd Arkenstone/Myths & Legends: The New Quad?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eggplant

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
The new David Arkenstone release is a 3-CD set, one of which is a "bonus" disc intended to be played -- simultaneously -- on a second CD player together with the main disc!

Amazon's review:

"Synching up two discs can be an unwieldy task, yet the effort yields an entertaining listening experience where the main disc is enriched by a wealth of sonic accents (roars, voices, rattles, and hums), giving Arkenstone's musical tales a deeper dimension. (The migration of electric guitar between the two discs during "Daughter of the Sun" provides some fun aural calisthenics.)"

For the rest, click here:
http://www.amazon.com/Myths-Legends...5505534?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1187888909&sr=1-1

Anyone tried this yet?
I hope this format isn't the followup to DualDisc.

I have this 3-disc set, and so far, I have only watched the DVD (with DD 5.1 surround) several times. I think it's pretty good - I like the music, and for the most part, the visuals do improve the experience. I can't really comment on the quality of the mix yet because I've only heard it on the system in my home gym. The electronics and speakers are pretty good, but it's a terribly live acoustical space, so the surround mix gets very muddy.

I haven't tried the separate CD and matching bonus disc yet. To do it justice, I want to use something better than a boom box in the rear, at least with the speakers on either side of the room. I'll have to break out the extra Cambridge Soundworks sub/sat system I have stashed away somewhere and a portable CD player.

One more thought - I'm sure some of you talented folks that know how to make surround discs at home could make a DTS 4.0 CD from the two separate CD's so that you could play it on a conventional Quad or 5.1 surround system without. If I wanted someone to do that for me, would there be any takers? How much might that cost?

It's really easy:
1) rip both cd as single track (EAC can do it, do "Copy Range" and select the entire disc)
2) save a CUE sheet of one of the disc (they should be equals)
3) separate L and R channels of both files (any sound editor can do it) and use appropriate names for the 4 files
4) feed the dts cd encoder with the four files, give a new name for the dts wave, place the same name on the cue sheet, encode and burn.

I picked this up based on what I read here and because I've always been a fan of Arkenstone's music and didn't realize he had a new release out!
The CD sounds fine but the 5.1 DD DVD mix is the way to go with this music! Really good surround mix that seems to vary with each track making good use of the surround channels at times.
This was a really nice surprise considering there's just not many surround releases coming out these days.
Tim(y)

I haven't tried the separate CD and matching bonus disc yet. To do it justice, I want to use something better than a boom box in the rear, at least with the speakers on either side of the room. I'll have to break out the extra Cambridge Soundworks sub/sat system I have stashed away somewhere and a portable CD player.

I haven't tried it but it occurred to me that a simple way to play these discs simultaneously would be to use two CD players plugged into the front and rear inputs of a vintage quad receiver.

I haven't tried it but it occurred to me that a simple way to play these discs simultaneously would be to use two CD players plugged into the front and rear inputs of a vintage quad receiver.

or if your modern AVR has 7.1 multi-channel analogue inputs, plug L & R from CDP-1 into Front L & R and L & R from CDP-2 into Rear L & R.. et voila..! :p

Today is record store day, and one special is this Flaming Lips release on 4LPs. - How to handle this?

-Kristian

Today is record store day, and one special is this Flaming Lips release on 4LPs. - How to handle this?

-Kristian

..mix it into 9.1 and leave the centre channel out!? :eek:

..mix the 8 channels down to quad somehow..!? :eek:

maybe it'll get reissued on blu-ray audio by Warner (..in 9.1) :yikes

Just authored the 2 CDs to DVD-A for this. And I have to say I'm quite happy with the results....

Are these the facts?
The DVD contains the same sounds as the CD but in surround.
The second CD contains additional sounds that are on neither the CD or DVD.

Therefore you would need to play the DVD in surround plus play the second CD on another system to hear "the works"?

Back