"The McCartney Years" 3 DVD Set due Nove 12th

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Below is the just issued press release for a 3 DVD set of "The McCartney Years" - remixed for the first time into 5.1 surround - hopefully in DTS at least...

'THE McCARTNEY YEARS' - PRESS RELEASE - 24.08.2007
NEW McCARTNEY DVD SET FOR RELEASE - ‘THE McCARTNEY YEARS’

FEATURES EXCLUSIVE COMMENTARY, BEHIND THE SCENES FOOTAGE, OVER 40 MUSIC VIDEOS AND TWO HOURS OF HISTORIC LIVE PERFORMANCES
‘THE MCCARTNEY YEARS’ IS SET FOR RELEASE NOVEMBER 12th 2007

On November 12th 2007, THE McCARTNEY YEARS, will hit the stores. This first time ever DVD includes the definitive visual collection of Paul McCartney’s amazing career featuring solo music videos, career-spanning live performances, personal commentary by Paul McCartney and exclusive footage that tracks his incredible musical journey as never before.

Spanning four decades THE McCARTNEY YEARS is a three volume DVD collection, featuring some of the world’s best-loved music that has become the soundtrack to all our lives.

VOLUME ONE and VOLUME TWO contain the definitive collection of McCartney music videos. Starting in the 1970s with Paul McCartney's first solo single Maybe I'm Amazed, the DVD includes the Wings promo video for Band On The Run as well as hits from the 1980s such as Say Say Say, and the 1990s with Biker Like An Icon. It finishes with 2005’s Fine Line. The films can be viewed either in chronological order or as play-lists that have been personally arranged by Paul featuring his exclusive voiceover commentaries.

VOLUME THREE includes live performances taken from three classic McCartney live shows; ROCKSHOW filmed on Wings’ 1976 World Tour, new edits of Paul’s seminal UNPLUGGED in 1991 and Paul’s now legendary headlining performance at 2004’s GLASTONBURY Festival.

THE McCARTNEY YEARS is also packed with bonus features and extra never before seen footage and performances, including Let It Be from LIVE AID, archive interviews with Melvyn Bragg and Michael Parkinson, alternative versions of music videos and the full-length 2005 documentary Creating Chaos at Abbey Road. Paul has recorded exclusive commentary and personal introductions for each promo video and each live concert.

This collection has been meticulously restored and all films polished, re-graded and given a new lease of life in Widescreen format with re-mastered stereo audio and for the first time the original recordings re-mixed into 5.1 surround sound. THE McCARTNEY YEARS includes over 40 promo videos and over two hours of live performances.

DISC/TRACK LISTING

DISC 1
1. Tug Of War
2. Say Say Say
3. Silly Love Songs
4. Band On The Run
5. Maybe I'm Amazed
6. Heart Of The Country
7. Mamunia
8. With A Little Luck
9. Goodnight Tonight
10. Waterfalls
11. My Love
12. C-Moon
13. Baby's Request
14. Hi Hi Hi
15. Ebony And Ivory
16. Take It Away
17. Mull Of Kintyre
18. Helen Wheels
19. I've Had Enough
20. Coming Up
21. Wonderful Christmastime

Extras
1. Juniors Farm
2. Band On The Run
3. London Town
4. Mull Of Kintyre 2
5. The Southbank Show

DISC 2
1. Pipes Of Peace
2. My Brave Face
3. Beautiful Night
4. Fine Line
5. No More Lonely Nights
6. This One
7. Little Willow
8. Pretty Little Head
9. Birthday
10. Hope Of Deliverance
11. Once Upon A Long Ago
12. All My Trials
13. Brown-Eyed Handsome Man
14. Press
15. No Other Baby
16. Off The Ground
17. Biker Like An Icon
18. Spies Like Us
19. Put It There
20. Figure Of Eight
21. C'Mon People

Extras
1. Parkinson
2. So Bad
3. Creating Chaos At Abbey Road

DISC 3
Rock Show
1. Venus And Mars
2. Rock Show
3. Jet
4. Maybe I'm Amazed
5. Lady Madonna
6. Listen To What The Man Said
7. Bluebird

MTV Unplugged
8. I Lost My Little Girl
9. Every Night
10. And I Love Her
11. That Would Be Something

Glastonbury
12. Jet
13. Flaming Pie
14. Let Me Roll It
15. Blackbird
16. Band On The Run
17. Back In The USSR
18. Live And Let Die
19. Hey Jude
20. Yesterday
21. Helter Skelter
22. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Extras
1. Live Aid
2. The Superbowl XXIV

Source: http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=763790

Cool! I wonder if these will be in 5.1 that is as good as the "Lennon Legend" disc?

I'm happy to see that the "Say Say Say" video is in there. You can trash the tune if you like, but I always enjoyed watching that video. I was afraid that he may have disowned the song and the video because of his "problems" with Michael Jackson.

Also, the "Once Upon a Long Ago" video is there. Very nice.

Cool! I wonder if these will be in 5.1 that is as good as the "Lennon Legend" disc?

I'm pretty optimistic. McCartney's got a good track record when it comes to his 5.1 releases (I'm talking about studio releases as I'm not familiar with any live 5.1 mixes).

I recently heard his 5.1 mix of "Fine Line" (from the two-disc version of "Chaos and Creation in the Backyard"). That one is mixed well.

God I hope it's DTS.....

Drool.......... :)-

I know now what to tell my wife when she asks for me birthday list!

More drool.....

This could be a landmark release.

With labels desperate to wring more dollars out of catalog titles, DVD-Video career retrospectives -- remixed in *NEW* 5.1! -- represent the best chance of seeing our surround sound want lists checked off.

Plus they're affordable and on a familiar platform (DVD-V). Big sales will encourage more such releases.

What is the best way to insure getting this on or before street date in the U.S.?
I wound up getting this from Amazon for $24.99(not shipped as of today). I should have waited and gone to Circuit City where it is on sale for $18.99.:mad:@:

I'll try to temper my disgust regarding the huge hits and personal favorites that were omitted:

Let 'Em In (#3 US)
Live and Let Die (#2 US)
Listen to What the Man Said (#1 US)
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey (#1 US)
Venus and Mars Rock Show (#12 US)
Letting Go (#39 US)
Jet (#7 US)
Nineteen Hundred Eighty-Five

Guess we'll have to accept the new rules of 5.1 releases:
No video, no put on DVD.

So there's a vid for Silly Love Songs, but not Let 'Em In?
I can understand there not being one for UA due to its age, but according to Amazon the other vids do exist.

Maybe there'll be a Euro edition with different tracks, a la the Billy Joel collection?

I'll try to temper my disgust regarding the huge hits and personal favorites that were omitted:

Let 'Em In (#3 US)
Live and Let Die (#2 US)
Listen to What the Man Said (#1 US)
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey (#1 US)
Venus and Mars Rock Show (#12 US)
Letting Go (#39 US)
Jet (#7 US)
Nineteen Hundred Eighty-Five

Guess we'll have to accept the new rules of 5.1 releases:
No video, no put on DVD.

So there's a vid for Silly Love Songs, but not Let 'Em In?
I can understand there not being one for UA due to its age, but according to Amazon the other vids do exist.

Maybe there'll be a Euro edition with different tracks, a la the Billy Joel collection?

"Live and Let die" was performed on the "James Paul Mccartney" special..in 1973..might have a different lead vocal and an explosion at the end but everything else was pretty much the same (like the backing track)..but there is a good live version on the set in 5.1

and of course there is a good video version of "Jet" in a studio performance in the unreleased film "one hand clapping" as well as a good version of "1985" (where the B.O.T.Run backing track is used from the first chorus onwards) from 1974.

Come to think of it a 5.1 disc of "one hand clapping" would make another great McCartney release

Last edited:
This release gets a "HOLY CRAP!"

So far, I have only previewed a few cuts on my PC viewing the videos, but folks, these are REAL 5.1 mixes in DTS and they sound great.

I started with "Say Say Say", and it brought back great MTV memories of a time when MTV played music videos. (I forgot that Janet Jackson was in this video as well) The use of the rears is done well. One of my favorite McCartney tunes is one I would have never expected to hear in 5.1, and it has a superb 5.1 mix with vocal harmonies "all around" the listening area - "Once Upon A Long Ago". This is a tune that Capitol decided not to release in the US for some reason.

Anyway, on to more...................

One more update: EXCELLENT SURROUND MIXES all around!

Even the "Band on the Run" 5.1 mix, done differently than the quad, is still done well. You can hear instruments and vocals that were buried in the stereo mixes for all these years.

One thing, even though in most of the songs Paul's lead vocal is in the center channel, it's never alone, and it also is heard (at lower levels and sometimes a bit delayed) in the 4 main channels as well.

I guess this is the way that we're going to get surround versions of back catalog and hits for the time being. This is actually a RHINO release. One could only speculate that if the times were different, we'd have gotten a DVD-Audio of these tunes. Oh well............ :(

Even the "Band on the Run" 5.1 mix, done differently than the quad, is still done well. You can hear instruments and vocals that were buried in the stereo mixes for all these years.
. :(

Great! Paul Hicks is a genius!!!

One thing, even though in most of the songs Paul's lead vocal is in the center channel, it's never alone, and it also is heard (at lower levels and sometimes a bit delayed) in the 4 main channels as well.

I guess this is the way that we're going to get surround versions of back catalog and hits for the time being. This is actually a RHINO release. One could only speculate that if the times were different, we'd have gotten a DVD-Audio of these tunes. Oh well............ :(

I picked this up today at Circuit City for $18.99 ($34.99 list) - quite possibly the best 19 bucks I have ever spent (at least top 5 anyway) - an unbelievable wealth of content - and I've only watched parts of Disc 1. The mixes are superb and I can't wait to crank them when I have some alone time to really get lost in it - but man - WOW:banana::banana::banana:

best buy had the around 13 but they were 34.99. so called hastings they only had three and they just put them out but the good news 24.99 and Dere sweet Mom was just down the block so she stopped and picked it up for me don't get it untill sat on my bday the big old 50
Jim

Back