"The McCartney Years" 3 DVD Set due Nove 12th

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't speak to the others, however Sweet Home Alabama wasn't on Southern Surroundings because the multis are missing...

Has anything been published to explain the glaring omission of certain #1 hits like "Listen to What the Man Said?" This seems to happen routinely with recent collections. "We Didn't Start the Fire" was not included in the Billy Joel Collection" while "Sweet Home Alabama" was missing from "Southern Surroundings."

Well AFAIK, there never was a video for "Listen to What the Man Said", so that's why it wasn't included in this videos collection.
The one main omission I wish would have been included in this set is the full "Back to the Egg" TV Special, especially if they would have remixed all the songs in the special in 5.1 surround. THAT would have been worth the price of admission alone!

Besides that, there are a few other omissions, mostly for personal reasons:
-A track like "Stranglehold" (from "Press to Play") is not worth much at all (at least IMHO)
-2 of the "Flaming Pie" videos were directed by his daughter Mary's (now) ex-husband
-With this DVD collection and the 4CD "Pure McCartney" collection, Paul has also not given a place in these sets to any tracks from "Driving Rain", mostly because that album has many references to his (now failed) relationship with Heather Mills.

The only substitution I would have made to the track listing would be to replace "Birthday" on DVD2 with "Only Love Remains" (from "Press to Play") but other than that, the set is pretty damn complete, and the 5.1 mix is truly spectacular!

:)

I always thought it was mostly missing "Young Boy", which got a good deal of airplay in my home country of Germany back in the late 90s. Catchy song, wish it was on this set.

But no point moping about what we don't get when this set is simply amazing for all the material that is there! I love this DVD set.

One thing about this set: On the first disc, there is an "extra" regarding the production of the Band On The Run cover shot. In this video, we get a bunch of 5.1 snippets of many songs on the album, so I suspect that the entire album may have been mixed in 5.1. Was the full Band On The Run album every released in 5.1? Did I miss out on it, or are we just being taunted? Bummer if the 5.1 is just sitting in the vaults.

One thing about this set: On the first disc, there is an "extra" regarding the production of the Band On The Run cover shot. In this video, we get a bunch of 5.1 snippets of many songs on the album, so I suspect that the entire album may have been mixed in 5.1. Was the full Band On The Run album every released in 5.1? Did I miss out on it, or are we just being taunted? Bummer if the 5.1 is just sitting in the vaults.

Well there is the original Quadraphonic mix that was manipulated into 5.1 surround for the DTSCD, but other than that, no, to my knowledge, "Band on the Run" does not have a modern 5.1 mix that is released or sitting in the vaults.

Has anything been published to explain the glaring omission of certain #1 hits like "Listen to What the Man Said?"

Not that I've ever read. At least that one is available in quad, though why it's omitted here only Paulie might know. We DO know why we haven't heard or seen "Give Ireland Back to the Irish": it's something he and most everyone else would like to forget. "Mary Had a Little Lamb" had a promo video, but it's missing, along with "Another Day" (lest one forget, his first solo single and hit, 1971); "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey";"Jet"; and many others, only Macca knows why, because as exec producer we have to presume he decided what went in and what didn't.

It's kinda perverse that the 1974 top tenner "Junior's Farm" is listed as a bonus track, while there are lesser single and Lp cuts that, personally, I wouldn't have bothered with in favor of some of the above.

Thing is, although I dig a lot of this collection and the sound and mixes are superb, it seems like Volume 1 waiting for #2, wherein we get the rest of the story, including the above noted omissions of 1.

ED :)

Those snippets did make me wish for the full Band on the Run album. Though it was released in quad, the sound quality is very dated. I'd really like to hear modern, cleaned-up surround mixes of Bluebird, Nineteen Eghty-Five, Let Me Roll It, and even Jet, especially after getting a little taste of those here. We do get a new mix of Helen Wheels, a sharp upgrade from the awful quad version. However, be careful what you wish for: the new mix of the title track, though sonically superior, is underwhelming compared to the stark dramatics of the original quad.

Not that I've ever read. At least that one is available in quad, though why it's omitted here only Paulie might know. We DO know why we haven't heard or seen "Give Ireland Back to the Irish": it's something he and most everyone else would like to forget. "Mary Had a Little Lamb" had a promo video, but it's missing, along with "Another Day" (lest one forget, his first solo single and hit, 1971); "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey";"Jet"; and many others, only Macca knows why, because as exec producer we have to presume he decided what went in and what didn't.

It's kinda perverse that the 1974 top tenner "Junior's Farm" is listed as a bonus track, while there are lesser single and Lp cuts that, personally, I wouldn't have bothered with in favor of some of the above.

Thing is, although I dig a lot of this collection and the sound and mixes are superb, it seems like Volume 1 waiting for #2, wherein we get the rest of the story, including the above noted omissions of 1.

ED :)

If there were not any promotional videos or TV appearances for tracks like "Another Day", "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey", and "Jet", then that's why they were not included in the set.

This is a pretty old thread from 2007, but having just acquired the collection I thought I would comment.

First, why is it so difficult to find great MC recordings?

I come to this forum on a pretty regular basis, but I find it hard to know all that is available in MC. Is there a particular section of the forum that does that?

Second, well I will agree with many posters that this is a first class compilation of McCartney's songs that were treated to "video's" and in 5.1 . I agree that the mixing and mastering was outstanding. And yes, as some other people noted, there are a number of his songs that I didnt really connect with in the original release. A 5.1 remix really changed my view on some of these!

This is a pretty old thread from 2007, but having just acquired the collection I thought I would comment.

First, why is it so difficult to find great MC recordings?

I come to this forum on a pretty regular basis, but I find it hard to know all that is available in MC. Is there a particular section of the forum that does that?

Second, well I will agree with many posters that this is a first class compilation of McCartney's songs that were treated to "video's" and in 5.1 . I agree that the mixing and mastering was outstanding. And yes, as some other people noted, there are a number of his songs that I didnt really connect with in the original release. A 5.1 remix really changed my view on some of these!

Click on the "Surround Polls" tab at the top to see a list of the best surround mixes as voted on by QQ members.
Go to the "Forum" tab at the top, then to "Surround Music Polls", and you can read detailed reviews of multichannel albums.
Pretty fantastic.

Jusf picked up a cheap used copy on EBay.

Great set! Great sound! Reading through this thread makes me a bit sad for all the hope for more surround content that wasn’t to be.

I have this set, and The Police and Michael Jackson video hits discs. Is there a thread somewhere that lists all the 5.1 videos that might get neglected by those looking for 5.1 audio discs?

There are the DVD Surround Polls, as mentioned, and the "What is the latest Surround DVD You are Listening To?" thread....but not any single list to my knowledge, which of course would not remain static. Or did you mean a list of all surround "Music Video" hits....like back in MTV Days? To the three you mention, you must get the 2 Queen sets......

There are the DVD Surround Polls, as mentioned, and the "What is the latest Surround DVD You are Listening To?" thread....but not any single list to my knowledge, which of course would not remain static. Or did you mean a list of all surround "Music Video" hits....like back in MTV Days? To the three you mention, you must get the 2 Queen sets......

John...I think there was a thread listing the better DVD surround discs...not a poll thread...I thought I had it bookmarked on the computer but since the forum was revised I can't find it..

Back