"The McCartney Years" 3 DVD Set due Nove 12th

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMHO, I REALLY like this collection! Yes, there are a few things missing like "Arrow through Me" that I would have liked to hear, but the sonics are pretty good and you can't knock the 5.1 mix. I really like the depth on the mix, the drums at the beginning of "Take it Away" have never sounded better.

I applaud the effort that McCartney and his crew gave this release. I think he is understanding that there is a demand for beatles 5.1 stuff (like "Love", the "Anthology" DVD, etc.). Maybe the Beatles catalogue is next????? :smokin

I wish Rockestra Theme was on here. Bonham's on that track, and it'd be great to hear that track with all the guitars (Townsend, Gilmour, etc....) spread around! It's not like there ISN'T a video!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g1DDiLyQZk

You may have answered your own question. With those guys on there, it may have taken some politics to get it done. Sometimes it is not easy to get everyone to sign.

maybe "back to the egg" will get a dvd release one day along with "one hand clapping" and the "james paul mccartney special"...there is so much stuff, this thing could have run into a couple more dvd's easily. There are 2 songs from the "back to the egg" special on the dvd already, I don't think the "rockestra theme" is going to get a look in if he overlooks most of the singles from those lp sessions in the first place...
on the other hand maybe some other musicians will do a 5.1 mix of it..after all it's not avery difficult thing in the world to play and copy in almost exactly the same way that it originally appeared...e.g. http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=YqrCJZvBYb8&feature=related

WOW,WOW,WOW!!!!!:banana::sun

I Am so so glad I just invested in a nice HT with an ONKYO905 as the AVR.

I have NEVER heard sounds like this before except at concerts!

Absodarnedlutely Incredible!!

listened and watched the whole thing in one sitting,The toshiba XA2 HDDVD and the Samsung 5271 LCD helped,but my GAWD what sound,I had constant chills and occasional tears.All the people on my street now know I have a new sound system!!!lol .Blasted many parts of many cuts!
Live and Let Die almost caused the cops to be called,all the explosions!
Wonderful separation the first two discs!So clear ,SO CLEAR.

a 10+

just before Mc,I listened to Nightfly on HDDVD and before that Peter Gabriel's So in SACD on the PS3,Great great great!!!

Thank you all for keeping this great sound alive!

:banana::smokin:sun:D:phones(y)

After seeing this listed on Jon's new Beatles page I decided to pick it up. Just finished watching the third disc last night. The surround sound mix sounds really great. It is definitely a disc to buy for the sound and not for the visuals. Being in the television production industry, it is amazing to remember just how horrible some of those old music videos are. Not just concept, but production quality as well. Video was the worst thing to happen to music videos. They could be shot cheaply in video versus film but man do they look crappy. But its fun to just let it play and listen to the music.
Some of the later material was interesting to hear. I was a huge fan of solo McCartney in the early years. His first album is one of my all time favorites. Wish the entire McCartney album would be released in surround. And I loved him during the Wings era. I was actually at the Kingdome concert in Seattle where some of that live footage on disc 3 was shot.
But I have to say, I'm not a huge fan of the latter solo era. Of course, this is the first time I've heard a lot of that music, so maybe it will grow on me with time. There were a few songs I enjoyed that I had never heard before, but was not crazy about others.
All in all though, it is stil a great collection and fun to listen to all of it, even the songs I'm not crazy about.

just before Mc,I listened to Nightfly on HDDVD and before that Peter Gabriel's So in SACD on the PS3,Great great great!!!
QUOTE]

You should get Peter Gabriel's DVD Play: The Videos. It's got great sound and videos. That and Genesis' video collection are in the top spots of my collection with the new McCartney set.

They could be shot cheaply in video versus film but man do they look crappy.

I'm not sure about Paul McCartney's output, but some other old "videos" were actually shot on 16mm film. To my eyes, a lot of those look worse than the video-sourced material from the same era. It's almost like they went out of their way to get the lousiest, cheapest film they could find.

It doesn't help that a lot of those old videos also look like they went through really bad PAL->NTSC conversion (and maybe back and forth again a few extra times!).

I'm not sure about Paul McCartney's output, but some other old "videos" were actually shot on 16mm film. To my eyes, a lot of those look worse than the video-sourced material from the same era. It's almost like they went out of their way to get the lousiest, cheapest film they could find.

It doesn't help that a lot of those old videos also look like they went through really bad PAL->NTSC conversion (and maybe back and forth again a few extra times!).

Well, you are right. Film can not make a horribly executed production look better. Some of the creative concepts on the videos are just so awful. So, more than anything, it's a lack of creative execution. If its well produced and there is a good creative concept behind it, film or video can look great. I think today's high school students could do a better job than the "pros" who put together some of those old music videos.

Here is a good review of this set and a love for the DTS mix!!!!

http://www.dvdmg.com/mccartneyyears.shtml

Here is his blurb about the mix.

In a wonderful case of letting viewers have their cake and eat it too, The McCartney Years provided both the original PCM Stereo mixes along with fancy new DTS 5.1 reworkings. I checked out the latter for review, as I was very interested to hear Macca redone in a multichannel configuration.
And the results didn’t disappoint. The soundfields used the five channels actively. The music featured excellent separation and delineation. They greatly broadened the original stereo tracks and created a great sense of involvement. The more danceable tunes like “Goodnight Tonight”, “Press” and “Silly Love Songs” lent themselves easily to five-channel usage, and the tracks became vivid and well defined. Some such as “Pretty Little Head” went pretty nuts with surround percussion, and that effect worked nicely.
In addition, audio quality was simply excellent. All aspects of the tracks stayed true to the source materials, for better or for worse; if you hoped that the remixes would eliminate some of that big Eighties sheen, you’ll leave disappointed. But it was appropriate that the tracks remained faithful to the sound of the original recordings, and the various elements always sounded as good as we could expect.
That meant vocals were concise and natural. Again, some of those qualities depended on the nature of the original productions, so tracks like “Press” went with a lot of vocal reverb, but that was to be expected. Overall, Paul’s singing seemed well-reproduced, and all the various instrumental bits came across with the same terrific fidelity. Highs seemed crisp and distinctive, while low-end was tight and warm. I’ve heard these tunes hundreds of times, but the remixes brought out dimensions I’d never previously heard. They don’t replace the original tracks, but they present very engaging and enjoyable reworkings of the tunes. I really loved them.

Sure hopes this provided a little surround help. We need it at the moment.

This was the best $25 bucks I ever spent for "The McCartney Years", along with the John Lennon "Legend" DVD. The best thing to do with both titles is once you've set-up the music in the DVD menu is to turn off the TV and just enjoy the great music and mixes. It gives you a DVD-Audio / DTS-CD experience.

That review is by "oatsdad". The first time I read it I was bummed that he was not mentioning the surround mix, but he gets to it towards the end.

This is one of the finest surround music video discs out there, and I'm just talking music. It makes a killer DVD-A (or should I say would have made a killer DVD-A)

I had to turn off the visuals, they became too distracting. I'd rather just listen to the music.

Last edited:
I had to turn off the visuals, they became too distracting. I'd rather just listen to the music.

Yep, I didn't last through the first 2 or 3 songs with the video turned on, but the music/mix is great. True, well mixed surround. I figure its like the Queen greatest hits videos for me. I never watch that one either, but listen to it often. Although disc 3 is worth watching on this one.

K

Got this as a christmas present so far i have only listed to some of disc 1 and all of disc 2 wow what a great set. the DTS is supurb and the mixs are great This has to move up my 2007 recommendations list.

I took delivery of this dvd today. So far only played the first disc but very pleased with it. I became aware of this disc through this forum. :) No luck finding it available in Australia, so, once again, Amazon to the rescue. :)

Has anything been published to explain the glaring omission of certain #1 hits like "Listen to What the Man Said?" This seems to happen routinely with recent collections. "We Didn't Start the Fire" was not included in the Billy Joel Collection" while "Sweet Home Alabama" was missing from "Southern Surroundings."

Back