AIX time?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BananaSlug

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I'm guessing that many (most) of us have bought from AIX and received their newsletter today. In case people missed it or your spam filter hid it from you:

"Here's the deal...Purchase a $100 worth of our products [coming real close counts] and pick any Collectors Edition DVD set for FREE. The CE products are the ones that contain two discs...four sides of content, deluxe packaging and a 14-page booklet. They retail for $49.98...so you can get $50 worth of our best work for FREE!

First, make your regular selections and then tell me which Collectors Edition DVD set you want in the COMMENTS section [so that you won't be charged] and we'll hustle them out to you asap. It is important that you don't add them to the regular eCommerce section of the shopping cart...just let me know the titles that you want."

Wish I knew more about the music contained on these discs, but this seems like a good time to find out :)

Wow! That's a great deal. You guys should really check this stuff out. Heck, there's nothing out there new to buy from the big guys! :(

I have important life rules that I do my best to adhere to.
Two that I'll share with you are:
1. Boycott Wal-Mart (because they discriminate, destroy competition, could care less if you are a customer, and worship greed)

2. Support AIX (because they have integrity, provide a GREAT product and great value, are committed to the future of hi-rez surround, and is run by human beings that value the input of their target market.)

I'm sorry you guys were the recipient of my latest Wal-Mart rant. It's been awhile and I had to get it off my chest.

I have hope for the future in this bleak Wal-Mart world. It's called AIX Records. Support this company you guys. It takes a special effort, but it's worth every penny.

I like both Wal-Mart and AIX. Just a guess here, but my thought is AIX would welcome Wal-Mart or any retailer that would start selling high quality DVD-Audio discs. After all, Wal-Mart carries both Blu-ray and HD DVD. My only complaint about AIX is the lack of mainstream artists and music. There is nothing wrong with the releases, but the same quality used with artists that sell significant quantities would be helpful.

I own 5 AIX DVD-A/DVD-V dual sided discs, although I am not sure what I am supposed to call them. DualDVD?

Chris

Wal-mart would just as soon destroy companies like AIX with glee, while promoting their own online mp3 download site. They're a company with no character, integrity, or values. Wise up!

Not sure if this was mentioned before, but the new DVD Audio/Video release from AIX is Albert Lee - Tearing It Up. He was featured on the Eric Clapton: Crossroads Guitar Festival 2007. The only hitch is the price - $49.98 at Acoustic Sounds. What's up with that?

Description;

If you're a fan of guitar, Albert Lee is a name you certainly know. He came to prominence with his first band, Heads, Hands and Feet in the 1960s. After a few albums on Capitol, Lee toured extensively with The Crickets, The Everly Brothers, Emmylou Harris and with guitar superstar Eric Clapton. When he's not playing on the Concert for George or Crossroads, Lee fronts his own touring band, Hogan's Heroes. He has several CDs on Sugarhill Records and numerous instructional videos on WB and other labels. His unique style is a continuing source of inspiration for upcoming guitarists, no matter what the style.

This recording is NOT an attempt to "document" a live recording of an acoustic five-piece band but instead an exploration of the creative process of making and recording music on videotape and using high-resolution digital audio recording equipment. AIX Records uses no EQ, dynamics processing or artificial reverberation…everything you hear is as the musicians played it. Both "audience" and "stage" 5.1 mixes and a PCM 96/24 bit stereo mix are included on the disc on the DVD-Video side. However, it is the DVD-Audio 96 kHz/24 bit tracks encoded with Meridian Lossless Packing (MLP) that elevates the listening experience well beyond a traditional CD. You can choose to listen from the middle of ensemble and hear the sound of the instruments coming from all directions or place yourself in the "best seat in the house."

The DVD-Video side also contains a variety of audio/video media including: complete session videos, interviews, behind-the-scenes footage, rehearsals, comprehensive explanation of the DVD format, instructions on how to setup your 5.1 channel surround system, test tones/channel Ids checks and demonstrations comparing stereo mixes to 5.1 mixes.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=42669

This is one of the "deluxe" AIX releases, with the video and the audio and the DVD-A. They are done quite well, and in this climate of slim to none as far as DVD-A releases, this is one of the last companies supporting the format.

It's nice to see them with a new release, and if anyone is interested, I would suggest going for it. I know I will probably go for it myself.

That is great news to see a new DVD-A release from AIX. With the limited demand, it may be $50 is the best he can do with these deluxe releases and even then profits will be difficult. I hope it works and we will see more. Maybe a high quality download will be more affordable but I still don't know what that would be or if I could play it in one of my players, not a PC. Has the AIX download business started? I have seen Dr. Waldrep make mention of it previously, but I haven't seen anything about that recently.

This release includes a DualDisc with DVD-A side and that is the first one of those I have seen from anybody since the Ronnie Lane/Pete Townsend release, I think in 2006.

Chris

That is great news to see a new DVD-A release from AIX. With the limited demand, it may be $50 is the best he can do with these deluxe releases and even then profits will be difficult. I hope it works and we will see more. Maybe a high quality download will be more affordable but I still don't know what that would be or if I could play it in one of my players, not a PC. Has the AIX download business started? I have seen Dr. Waldrep make mention of it previously, but I haven't seen anything about that recently.

This release includes a DualDisc with DVD-A side and that is the first one of those I have seen from anybody since the Ronnie Lane/Pete Townsend release, I think in 2006.

Chris

Looks like the AIX records online download store is up and running. Head on over to http://www.itrax.com/ if you want to check it out.

Looks like the format for downloading lossless 5.1 tracks is WMA Lossless, but both Dolby Digital and DTS are also available as well as 5.1 mp3 or WMA pro files. There is pleanty of choice to be had.

Does anybody know which format would be the best to get with intent of copying to a disc, since I do not have my computer hooked up to a decent sound system? I would prefere to get the format with the best sound quality possible.

I also found this on the site:
"Q: Can I download a FREE TRACK to try out a real HD Audio file?

A: iTrax allows visitors to download a sample track of HD Audio in all varieties of encoding and listening perspectives. Soon you will even be able to even download all HD Video formats. We want you to experience the difference that high definition audio and 5.1 surround mixing can make in your listening enjoyment. You do not have to enter a credit card or any personal information
"

Does anybody know which format would be the best to get with intent of copying to a disc, since I do not have my computer hooked up to a decent sound system? I would prefere to get the format with the best sound quality possible.[/I]"

To me it looks like it is all PC playback based which is a non-contender for me if that is true. However, Windows Media Player files can no doubt be played back in 5.1 WMA on some DVD players. I just can't be bothered, It is easier to buy the discs. Then you get everything on there including the DVD-Video.

Back