HiRez Poll Various Artists - INSIDE THE MUSIC: CLASSIC JAZZ [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVd-A of Various Artists - INSIDE THE MUSIC: CLASSIC JAZZ

• 10: Great Fidelity, Great Surround, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this DVD-Audio disc of various artists. (y):phones(n)

TRACK LIST

1. Flight Time - Donald Byrd
2. Matrix - Bobby Hutcherson
3. Barbara - Horace Silver
4. Move Your Hand - Lonnie Liston Smith
5. Mercy, Mercy, Mercy - Cannonball Adderley
6. Fiesta - Elvin Jones
7. Sidewinder - Lee Morgan
8. Down Here on the Ground [Live] - Grant Green
9. Channel One Suite - Buddy Rich
10. Django - Gene Harris

Well...some interesting mixes here, decently separated and giving one that '5.1 experience', as it were, though nothing blows you away. Others aren't that great("Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" doesn't really work, though it's not bad, but its limitations are glaring).

Since I try to vote strictly from a sonic/mix standpoint, this one gets a '7'. However, given the wealth of material in the EMI vaults(from Capitol, Blue Note, Pacific Jazz), surprising that this one is so limited in scope. I can think of more than a few acts I'd rather have heard in this sampling than who was included(nothing personal).

And these comps lead to the obvious question: why not ENTIRE ALBUMS in 5.1? Gotta wonder what the deal was that Silverline made with EMI for this material...unless they were just testing the waters to see if there was enough consumer interest to make it all float?(If so, it didn't)....

ED :)

Reviving another long forgotten thread... seems like it would be useful to add some thoughts to those discs that haven't gotten much attention over the last 10 years. I have relied heavily on QQ votes and comments when seeking out new tunes.

This is fake surround I guess, but we've all heard worse. The music is spread around with some effort to get different sounds in the rears, as seems to be the case throughout the series. I rather enjoy some of the "Inside the Music" series releases, 'Women on Top' and 'New Wave' particularly, but that's more about the music than anything fabulous about the mix.

Odd track choices here, I thought. (I like "Move Your Hand" but it sticks out like a sore thumb to me.) And with jazz, I'd rather hear a whole album than a hodgepodge of disparate styles. The Elvin Jones track "La Fiesta" is probably my favorite. "The Sidewinder" by Lee Morgan grabs my attention every time I listen to this... part way through he starts quoting "Land of 1000 Dances" and my mind isn't going to let that slip by unnoticed.

A 7 seems appropriate here, and it's a 7 that does not get played very much. So many better jazz releases out there.

Mark Z

I'm not quite sure why I'm hearing things that the previous reviewers didn't...:unsure:
Maybe its the 'Silverline' tag

Anyway to my old lugholes, this sounds far better than quite a few other releases I could mention.
So much so, that I have no hesitation in awarding it a 9
Let the debate commence.:p:)

Back