HiRez Poll Various Artists - INSIDE THE MUSIC: CLASSIC ROCK [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Various Artists - INSIDE THE MUSIC: CLASSIC ROCK

• 10: Great Fidelity, Great Surround, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters
Let me bring this thread back up to the top. I finally (after 10 years or so) had a chance to "explore" this DVD-Audio disc. It was one of my first DVD-Audio discs and was before we found out what Silverline titles would really be like.

The interesting thing is that this disc is salvagable. In fact, it can sound quite good but some corrections are required to be done.

In the interests of music preservation, I present my guide to correcting "Inside the Music : Classic Rock"

If you look at page 7 of the booklet, you'll find that tracks 2,5 & 8 were mixed by Ken Cailat, tracks 4 & 6 were mixed by Rick Ruggen, track 7 by Claus Trelby and tracks 9 & 11 by Dennis Mays. The person or people responsible for tracks 1, 3 & 10 wish to remain anonymous.

The reason this is important is that each person performing a mix used there own settings for 0dB and nobody ever bothered to correct the levels when the tracks were combined on the disc. This is particularly important for the LFE channel.

So, the first correction is to make the following changes to the LFE levels:

Track 1 = -7 dB
Track 2 = -9 dB
Track 3 = -7 dB
Track 4 = +3 dB
Track 5 = -10 dB
Track 6 = +1 dB
Track 7 = -3 dB
Track 8 = -10dB
Track 9 = -3 dB
Track 10 = -1.5dB
Track 11 = +1.5dB

You can see that the levels are relatively consistent among each person performing the mixes. It is only compared to the other mixers that the levels become wildly different.

On top of this problem, an edit was missed on "Centerfold". At about 2:40 into the track a 8.38 second edit is required so that the track matches the familiar version of the song. I guess you could consider this the long version, but the extra phrase sure throws off the rest of the song.

If you do the above and take a listen to the newly corrected DVD-Audio disc, it is quite listenable and enjoyable.

I calibrated the system and also used Beatles "Love" and Eagles "Hotel California" to verify that my levels were correct before coming up with these levels.

Hope that helps someone. Maybe we should start a new subtopic called, "Correcting Silverline"?

Andy

I love this post. Turned this into a very listenable disc for me, although I actually added 2 DB across the board to the numbers above - Andy's edits made them all too weak for my tastes.

Also, I had to tweak the volume levels of every channel in the Joe Cocker song. The mix for that one is really, really weird and I don't know how much of an improvement over the stereo version it is, but then again, it's listenable once you modify it more.

In addition to the LFE, I amplified the center channel a bit, and the fronts and rears to their respective max without clipping. Now, it matches the other songs fairly well.

For Centerfold - I'm actually happy they used an extended cut!

P.S.: I'm still all for that "correcting Silverline" thread. :)

This one is my favorite of a mediocre quality title on the silverline experiment, most of my DTS CD'S sound much better. But I have sentimental issues with 1 track and like 3 other's of 11 total, this is my original vote and I wont change it like a couple other SL releases. An 8

Back