Dire Straits Brothers In Arms

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckland 23

Hi .

Can anyone help me out. I want to no if the record brothers in arms was releasted on version of a quad record . I would like to have this one .also if anyone knows of a site that will list all the quad records out there . I would need the help or do I have to Play it by ear .

Thank You

dave.

That album came about 10 years too late for quad, but thankfully it's been released in the modern surround formats, and it's quite good IMHO. "Brothers in Arms" can be found as a multichannel SACD, a DVD-Audio, and also as a DualDisc DVD-Audio which I believe was test market only (the last one brought $96 on ebay... SACD is probably the cheapest at this point).

Here is a link to the QQ poll on this title:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5087

Mark

Ok i see . do you no when is the cutoff point for quad records . What year and any websites that will list the quad records out there . I dont no how many there is . I alos heard that there is quad recording that are quad and would not say so on the record ladel as well .

Ok i see . do you no when is the cutoff point for quad records .
There are no hard and fast dates -- but if you think roughly 1970 to 1977 you will catch most of them. A few did come out a little later though; I know I have classical quad LPs with 1979 dates on them.

I alos heard that there is quad recording that are quad and would not say so on the record ladel as well .
Since quad LPs were downwardly compatible with stereo, some were pressed only in quad. Heck, some of the CDs out there still contain the original quad (matrix) encoding.

any websites that will list the quad records out there . I dont no how many there is .
Ironically, the forum you posted this in refers to Mark Anderson's quad discography which is where you'll want to start if you're curious about what's out there (there have been thousands of quad releases). You'll find the link on the links page of this site.

Quad seems a little intimidating at first, but if you keep poking around this website (especially the posts for newbies) you'll come a long way in a hurry. I use the search feature constantly. You have come to the right place!!

Enjoy the quest!!

Mark Z

PS: Back to Dire Straits... now that I'm thinking about it, maybe the DualDisc was the only way the DVD-A of BIA was offered. Not sure on that, but I thought I'd seen some straight DVD-As on eBay.

Dire Straits DVD-Audio was only available as a DualDisc. There was no "DVD-A Only" release.

The SACD was available in two packages, one standard and one special edition. Check the posts for discussion about these. Just search "Brothers in Arms"

Here's the link to the QQ HiRez poll on the title:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5087

PS: Back to Dire Straits... now that I'm thinking about it, maybe the DualDisc was the only way the DVD-A of BIA was offered. Not sure on that, but I thought I'd seen some straight DVD-As on eBay.

I remember that the SACD came first as an import only - most of us picked it up that way. I think later it was a DualDisc in North America. I don't remember anything about a DVD-A, but some countries didn't get DualDisc so there may have been a DVD-A released somewhere.

EDIT: Never mind

Last edited:
I remember that the SACD came first as an import only - most of us picked it up that way. I think later it was a DualDisc in North America. I don't remember anything about a DVD-A, but some countries didn't get DualDisc so there may have been a DVD-A released somewhere.

Dire Straits, and for that matter Mark Knopfler as well, is signed to a Warner Music label only for the US. Hence the DualDisc with the DVD-A. Anywhere else on the planet, they're signed a Universal Music affiliated label....and therefore, SACD.

Same situation with Genesis, Bjork, and Depeche Mode.

Back