Question about quadraphonic record format .

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckland 23

Hi

I was wondering if anyone will no if the record labels will say quadra on them , will some be blank . I heard that some records are blank and only way to tell is that by the serial number . Is this true or not , I would like to no how to tell if I have records that are quad in my set of records and I have over 1000.00 record so its hard to test every one . But i do no that if you play them and the cd-4 light comes on then you have quad , but thats what i am reaading on this fourm anyway . If anyone has any info to tell me it wold help as i am very new to quad but not vinyl or records as we say in the past but the younger jet set will tend to call them vinyl , like my sister in law . So please forward info to me on this matter if you no anything about this thing.

Thank You

dave .

Many quad records will have the word "quadraphonic" near the top of the album cover. There are a few ways to know if you have an unmarked quadraphonic record.

If you have a classical record on the Angel or Seraphim label, look to see if the Angel or Seraphim logo is a double circle. If it is, pull out the record and see if there is a "Q" in the album's serial number. If so, then it's an SQ encoded album.

The next method is time consuming, but it might be helpful. Go to this site:

http://members.cox.net/surround/quaddisc/quadindx.htm

Click down into the various discographies, and once a page is loaded, do a search on the page for the phrase "no stereo version known". In many cases, this will indicate an unmarked quadraphonic album either in the SQ or QS format.

Hope that's enough to get you started!

J. D.

Your questions are so braod that my advice would be to dig deep into this forum's past threads, all the info you seek is here waiting to be read by you. Once you have read up on quad then your questions could be more specific. Welcome to the forum!

Back