Lou Dorren on his CD-4 45rpm record, and FM Quadraplex

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello to Old Quad Guy, Q-Eight, Dylan Berichon, Lucanu,

Addressing the QSI5022, the performance of the CD-4 demodulator built with these chips was far superior to any of the CD-4 demodulators out there at that time. The reason mostly is because the manufactures all heard through the grapevine about my Phase Lock Loop technique of demodulation. They all figured that if they used a Signetics NE565 PLL chip as the FM detector, this would solve the breakup noise and limited number of plays of CD-4 records. Technics, Panasonic, Harmon Kardon, and Heath Kit were the only OEMs to employ the QSI5022.

The secret to high performance in the CD-4 demodulator was to put a high gain FM limiter before the PLL. I have read some of the other threads on this site, where CD-4 users are making precision tangential adjustments to the pickup cartridge to reduce the 30 KHz subcarrier to subcarrier crosstalk. This is only needed because of the FM processing system in the demodulator.

FM has a unique characteristic known as capture ratio. This is the ability of an FM detector to detect and demodulate the stronger of 2 FM signals on the same frequency. The typical CD-4 demod has a capture ratio of 7 to 12 dB. This means that the stronger signal has to be at least 7 to 12 dB greater than the weak signal to reject the interference from that weak signal.

The QSI5022 has a capture ratio of .75 dB. This ratio allows the demodulator to work well even in non optimum setups. It also had the circuitry to allow external subcarrier crosstalk cancellation for pickup cartridges with poor to medium left-right separation in the subcarrier band (15KHz to 45KHz).

I kept a couple of the FM demodulators and I have two complete Quadraplex broadcast generators.

With regard to IBOC "HD" radio. This is one of those non technology systems I hinted about in a previous posting. This system is as far as you can get from "High Definition" (HD actually stands for hybrid digital). These digital signals are piggybacked onto the current AM and FM analog signals.

First let me introduce the Nyquist theorem. It states "to sample an analog signal and accurately transmit and reproduce that signal, the sampling rate must be at least two times the highest analog frequency to be sampled".
Lets take the case of the Compact Disc. The highest frequency to be sampled is 20KHz so the CD Sample rate is 44.1KHz. That is 4 KHz greater than two times, fulfilling the Nyquist criteria. Assuming a 16 bit resolution, the data rate of this now digital sampled signal is 16 * 44100 * 2 or 1.42 megabits(Mbps) per second for 2 channels (705kbps per channel at 44.1KHz sample rate).

IBOC uses a similar sample rate 48KHz, so they also meet the Nyquist criteria here. But wait, the next step in the IBOC processing completely destroys the accuracy of the original analog signal. They use a throw away data compression Adaptive Predictive Encoder to digitally compress the data rate.
These devices ignore the Nyquist theorem completely and make real time guesses at what part of the data need be transmitted and what part is "redundant". Their data rate instead of 1.42Mbps for 16 bit resolution, is 99Kbps for the FM version and 66 Kbps for the AM version. This is a compression ratio of 15 to 1 or greater. This means for every bit transmitted, 15 are thrown away. The purpose of this is to reduce the transmit bandwidth of the digital signal and make it fit in piggyback with the current analog signals in the AM and FM bands. Definitely not Nyquist.

This digital approach works fine for cellphones and two way radio where only voice information is transmitted, but not for high fidelity sound reproduction. Music contains so many harmonics and Fourier products that must be sampled, transmitted and received, it is impossible to use lossy compression techniques without damaging the content.

What about lossless compression. Lossless compression does something different. It does not reduce the bandwidth because in music somethings (Brass, Strings, Percussion) cannot be compressed and require full bandwidth to be transmitted and received. Those are sent uncompressed. Things that can be losslessly compressed, are. The result is a reduction in the total number of bits to be sent making the total size of a given content smaller. This is why the maximum compression ratio is about 1.5 to1.

To even consider multichannel high fidelity with IBOC is ludicrous.

I have only discussed the fidelity damage of IBOC radio. The deleterious effects on both the current AM and FM signals are quite prevalent.

If digital radio is to be, it must be a great improvement over todays analog technologies. IBOC is not even in the same ball park. When you see or hear advertisements such as "CD quality sound" for IBOC, you now know it can not possibly be. SNAKE OIL SALES AND VAPORWARE

Lou Dorren

Last edited:
Lou,

Thanks for all the wonderful information! Who figured 30 years down the road, people would be so fascinated with this stuff, eh?

Would you be allowed to post pictures of the Quad FM demodulator boxes? I'd love to see what they look like!

Wow! A cd-4 45. I have never heard of one let alone seen it. Was this a promotional issue or were there stock copies? There was some discussion here as to whether there ever was a cd-4 capable jukebox. Was Soundbird thinking of this?

Jeff

If you have a CD-4 setup, this is one to grab! Sounded great back when I had by CD-4 setup in the '70s featuring the JVC CD4-50 demodulator.

Welcome Lou, and thanks for your input on this forum. I've recently picked up a few books relating to quad, including Ken Sessions' "4 Channel Stereo From Source to Sound" so I knew the name right off.

(Incidentally, this book is a great little introduction to quad, and appendix two contains Lou's 1972 paper on the Dorren Quadraplex broadcasting system.)

Addressing the QSI5022, the performance of the CD-4 demodulator built with these chips was far superior to any of the CD-4 demodulators out there at that time. The reason mostly is because the manufactures all heard through the grapevine about my Phase Lock Loop technique of demodulation. They all figured that if they used a Signetics NE565 PLL chip as the FM detector, this would solve the breakup noise and limited number of plays of CD-4 records. Technics, Panasonic, Harmon Kardon, and Heath Kit were the only OEMs to employ the QSI5022.

Does anyone happen to know what units include the QSI5022 chip, and has anyone tried these out vs. the popular units used for CD-4 (i.e. the 4DD5 etc.)?

Mark Z

Does anyone happen to know what units include the QSI5022 chip, and has anyone tried these out vs. the popular units used for CD-4 (i.e. the 4DD5 etc.)?

Mark Z

Lou mentioned Panasonic & Technics used the QSI5022. I have a Technics SH400 Demod. I've tried others like the Pioneer QD-240 and a Panasonic 405-C.

The worst of the bunch I would say was the Panasonic. It needed CONSTANT attention to stay in tune. It would never play the same LP properly.

The Pioneer was ok, but didn't like my stylus/cartridge pair. Increasing seperation meant lots of static and loss of carrier.

The Technics is the best of the bunch. I would one day love to pair it with it's intended stylus/cartride and maybe find the setup record too! But just the way it is now gives really good CD-4. The only LP I own that it has trouble with is Elvis' Aloha concert. The inside cuts on either LP, the demod loses carrier lock.

Hello to Old Quad Guy, Q-Eight, Dylan Berichon, Lucanu,

The secret to high performance in the CD-4 demodulator was to put a high gain FM limiter before the PLL. I have read some of the other threads on this site, where CD-4 users are making precision tangential adjustments to the pickup cartridge to reduce the 30 KHz subcarrier to subcarrier crosstalk. This is only needed because of the FM processing system in the demodulator.

FM has a unique characteristic known as capture ratio. This is the ability of an FM detector to detect and demodulate the stronger of 2 FM signals on the same frequency. The typical CD-4 demod has a capture ratio of 7 to 12 dB. This means that the stronger signal has to be at least 7 to 12 dB greater than the weak signal to reject the interference from that weak signal.

The QSI5022 has a capture ratio of .75 dB. This ratio allows the demodulator to work well even in non optimum setups. It also had the circuitry to allow external subcarrier crosstalk cancellation for pickup cartridges with poor to medium left-right separation in the subcarrier band (15KHz to 45KHz).

I kept a couple of the FM demodulators and I have two complete Quadraplex broadcast generators.

With regard to IBOC "HD" radio. This is one of those non technology systems I hinted about in a previous posting. This system is as far as you can get from "High Definition" (HD actually stands for hybrid digital). These digital signals are piggybacked onto the current AM and FM analog signals.

First let me introduce the Nyquist theorem. It states "to sample an analog signal and accurately transmit and reproduce that signal, the sampling rate must be at least two times the highest analog frequency to be sampled".
Lets take the case of the Compact Disc. The highest frequency to be sampled is 20KHz so the CD Sample rate is 44.1KHz. That is 4 KHz greater than two times, fulfilling the Nyquist criteria. Assuming a 16 bit resolution, the data rate of this now digital sampled signal is 16 * 44100 * 2 or 1.42 megabits(Mbps) per second for 2 channels (705kbps per channel at 44.1KHz sample rate).

IBOC uses a similar sample rate 48KHz, so they also meet the Nyquist criteria here. But wait, the next step in the IBOC processing completely destroys the accuracy of the original analog signal. They use a throw away data compression Adaptive Predictive Encoder to digitally compress the data rate.
These devices ignore the Nyquist theorem completely and make real time guesses at what part of the data need be transmitted and what part is "redundant". Their data rate instead of 1.42Mbps for 16 bit resolution, is 99Kbps for the FM version and 66 Kbps for the AM version. This is a compression ratio of 15 to 1 or greater. This means for every bit transmitted, 15 are thrown away. The purpose of this is to reduce the transmit bandwidth of the digital signal and make it fit in piggyback with the current analog signals in the AM and FM bands. Definitely not Nyquist.

This digital approach works fine for cellphones and two way radio where only voice information is transmitted, but not for high fidelity sound reproduction. Music contains so many harmonics and Fourier products that must be sampled, transmitted and received, it is impossible to use lossy compression techniques without damaging the content.

What about lossless compression. Lossless compression does something different. It does not reduce the bandwidth because in music somethings (Brass, Strings, Percussion) cannot be compressed and require full bandwidth to be transmitted and received. Those are sent uncompressed. Things that can be losslessly compressed, are. The result is a reduction in the total number of bits to be sent making the total size of a given content smaller. This is why the maximum compression ratio is about 1.5 to1.

To even consider multichannel high fidelity with IBOC is ludicrous.

I have only discussed the fidelity damage of IBOC radio. The deleterious effects on both the current AM and FM signals are quite prevalent.

If digital radio is to be, it must be a great improvement over todays analog technologies. IBOC is not even in the same ball park. When you see or hear advertisements such as "CD quality sound" for IBOC, you now know it can not possibly be. SNAKE OIL SALES AND VAPORWARE

Lou Dorren

That's what a lot of us on the board thought, in general. It's great to have the big picture in such detail. Thanks! We have heard and read about multi-channel HD radio having 4 different systems being considered now by the FCC. Three systems are supposedly matrix and one discrete, but the sound quality is crap, less than a 96k MP3 file. XM Radio broadcasts 5.1 classical music, but that system is matrix, with not very good sound. One would think that a completely different broadcast system would be required to get high fidelity multi-channel sound, perhaps high speed WI-FI. Either way it does not look good for multi-channel broadcast on FM with what technology is out there now, if I understand correctly.

I was wondering if your system could possibly be revived again for FM and if this could give us high fidelity multi-channel broadcast sound over FM that HD Radio does not seem to deliver.
Thanks again for your insights.

Related links:

FCC: http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/digital/

National Radio Systems Committee:

http://www.nrscstandards.org/default.asp

Last edited:
That's what a lot of us on the board thought, in general. It's great to have the big picture in such detail. Thanks! We have heard and read about multi-channel HD radio having 4 different systems being considered now by the FCC. Three systems are supposedly matrix and one discrete, but the sound quality is crap, less than a 96k MP3 file. XM Radio broadcasts 5.1 classical music, but that system is matrix, with not very good sound. One would think that a completely different broadcast system would be required to get high fidelity multi-channel sound, perhaps high speed WI-FI. Either way it does not look good for multi-channel broadcast on FM with what technology is out there now, if I understand correctly.

I was wondering if your system could possibly be revived again for FM and if this could give us high fidelity multi-channel broadcast sound over FM that HD Radio does not seem to deliver.
Thanks again for your insights.

Related links:

FCC: http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/digital/

National Radio Systems Committee:

http://www.nrscstandards.org/default.asp

Well, the FCC did approve use of the Quadracast Discrete 4-Channel FM Broadcast system, albeit years too late for the '70s Quad Era.

I assume that a broadcaster could still use it today. That is, if you could get your hands on the needed equipment to broadcast and receive!

I got curious after all of this talk about the QSI5022 chip (and we are forever indebted to Lou for its invention). :)

So, I took one of the heatsinks off one of the demodulation chips in my SH-400. Sure enough, here is what is on the top - S7433 (date code, I presume) and underneath that - QSI

This demodulator is pretty much set it and forget it. The separation is fantastic, (y)

Doug

Ironically some CD-4 fans back in the '70s who tried the various units using the QSI 5022 IC actually liked the Heathkit CD-4 demodulator/circuit board (one which we rarely hear mentioned any more) the best, finding that it had much more high end response than the others.

Perhaps showing that the implementation of the final product is a key ingredient as well in all of this !

Who built these QSI5022 chips? Signetics?

Any chance for a datasheet?

-Kristian

Hello to Everyone.

Last first: We, at then Quadracast Systems, designed the QSI5022 and Signetics built it private label for QSI. I do have a data sheet that we wrote and I will have it scanned. When ready, I will post here my email address and anyone who wants it can send me a quick email and I will attach it to the reply.

Another engineer, Jerry O'Keffe and myself designed the CD-4 demodulators for Heatkit and Southwest Technical Products (the Popular Electronics article... yes I wrote it!). In our design we used all of the straight forward features of the QSI5022. We did not use the carrier crosstalk canceler in our design because it provided no performance improvement.

I consider the Technics SH-400 one of the best CD-4 demods out there. That said the Japanese engineers were so worried about burst noise that they ignored the Carrier Dropout Compensator in the 5022. Instead they used an external carrier level blend circuit. It would reduce the front to back separation of left or right depending on the instenaneous left or right carrier level. Most of the time this circuit does nothing, but if the disc is real dirty or the stylus is clogged, this will reduce burst noises. The internal 5022 Carrier Dropout Compensator completely eliminates burst noise, but some people are hard to convince!

The filters we used in our outboard design were more accurate then other manufactures. Our's cost more but the result was flatter high frequency response and separation.

What you observed bmoura, is true. My FM system, in fact could be put on the air under the F.C.C. rules. The problem is to find someone willing to finance the production of FM Quadraplex Decoders.

Finally, people are going to have to get mad and complain about the lousy and non-competitive ways the F.C.C. has been approving delivery systems for the American consumer. Otherwise we will be stuck with phony HDTV (I call it Half Definition Television), IBOC digital radio, XM and Sirrus Digital Satellite Radio, ALL WHICH USE SOME FORM OF THROW AWAY DATA COMPRESSION TO REDUCE BANDWIDTH AND REMOVE QUALITY!!!

Lou Dorren

Last edited:
Lou,

Let me add my welcome and gratitude at your presence here.
I remember your name -- and Soundbird Records -- from Larry Clifton's catalog in the 70's.

I've had a question I've wanted to ask a CD-4 techie for some time, and I think you're the right guy.

Is there some way to use current technology to better decode CD-4 records?
There's been much experimentation with "software decoding" of SQ, but to my knowledge, no one's attempted this with CD-4.

Of course CD-4 is a dead system. But the music trapped on all those discs is another matter; for many, the CD-4 release represented the best potential quality available.

I'm no engineer, but my instinct tells me there's a way to use current off-the-shelf hardware and/or software to more cleanly decode CD-4 discs, especially those horribly-mastered U.S. releases. CD-4 was -- in theory -- simplicity itself. All the problems came from that little complication called reality.

Whaddya think?

Lou,

Let me add my welcome and gratitude at your presence here.
I remember your name -- and Soundbird Records -- from Larry Clifton's catalog in the 70's.

I've had a question I've wanted to ask a CD-4 techie for some time, and I think you're the right guy.

Is there some way to use current technology to better decode CD-4 records?

Like half-speed playback to recover the subcarrier?
Just like half-speed mastering was used to get it on there in the first place.
The idea is so simple there has to be something wrong with it.

Hello to Bidcat and Bonzodog,

As an engineer, when you design a solution to a problem and it works, you always go back sometime later and think "could there be a better way to do this". In 1973 when the QSI5022 was designed, we pushed the IC envelope. The 5022 was the largest combination chip (meaning contains analog and digital circuits) at that time. Its other unique features were that a very low noise phono preamp for both generator cartridges (moving magnet and moving coil) and semiconductor (strain gage) was on the same chip with a high level VCO (Voltage Control Oscillator - part of the PLL). In addition there were some subsystems that required great presision which was very difficult in IC manufacture.

If any of you are electronic hobbyists or experimenters you know that is pretty easy to get resistors and capacitors with 10%, 5%, 2% and 1% value accuracy. On an IC chip it is very difficult. Typical resistor accuracy is 30 to 50%. When we did the 5022, we had to develop new type circuit techniques to get around this problem. After a year and a half of work we really pulled it off.

Two years ago, on the 30th anniversary of the 5022, I had the thought "could I design a CD-4 decoder using todays technology, that would be a significant improvement over the 5022". In the 70's, design was done with breadboard simulation only because there were no desk top computer systems. Every engineer had a HP calculator, but if you wanted Fast Fourier Transform analysis the you needed access to a big boy like the Xerox Sigma VII.

Today, simulation on a PC is easily available. Not that I don't trust computers, but I like to verify the simulation in hardware before I commit the design. So in 2005 I designed a new CD-4 demodulator. I ran simulations on the filters, preamps, ANRS expansion system, FM limiter, PLL detector and the sum and difference matrix. I have over a time built and tested the individual subsytems but have not as yet constructed a full working unit.

My analysis of this endeavor is that this demodulator should yield between 30 and 35 dB front to back separation and distortion considerably better than the 5022. And all this with off the shelf components. This is the thing that management hates about engineering. The design never freezes.

I know the next question everybody has, "when will it be put all together?"
A good question without a good answer. I am currently involved in preparing my new invention for debut as well as recording and mastering material. I do continue to work on it and might have something to report next year.

Lou Dorren

Last edited:
Hello to Bidcat and Bonzodog,
I am currently involved in preparing my new invention for debut as well as recording and mastering material. I do continue to work on it and might have something to report next year.

Lou Dorren

Thank you.

Oh my gosh...
I hope we could work on a brand new cd4 demodulator on hw, but I wish we could do the job via software.
I started experimenting with cd4 and pc and even if I don't get very good results something is happening.
I work with a software FM/AM demodulator called SDRadio. I feed my soundcard with a 96Khz signal and I can hear the carrier demodulated, not the best sounding but that's a start.

I wish we could do the job via software.

My thoughts exactly.
But then, I don't do hardware. :)

To start, I'd really like to see if we could use one or more of the excellent de-noising algorithms out there to clean up the extracted base and carrier signals separately.

Back