Lou Dorren on his CD-4 45rpm record, and FM Quadraplex

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
playing a cd4 records on a car is kinda hard... unless it is converted in another format; digital multichannel players, be DD, DTS or DVD-A are available and easier to find than Q8, plus they performs a bit better :D than carts.
-.[/QUOTE]

Playing ANY kind of record in a moving car is hard!
But converting a CD-4 record to DD or DTS for playing in a car... let's be honest here. How many car systems can decode those formats? At least Acura has the DVD-A system as an option, but how many of us can make our own DVD-A discs? I've converted some to QS, which can be played in the car, and can deliver some amazing separation when played thru a DPL II decoder. And they STILL perfom better than Q8 carts.

Hello Everyone,

Lucanu, Anything is possible!!!

Quadro-Action: We designed a combo FM/CD-4 demodulator for JVC, But it was never produced.

Quadro-Action: I am looking into that. Will have an answer later.

winopener, Some Information you will need. In the CD-4 system the RIAA eq curve was only applied to the sum channels (30 to 15KHz), The subcarrier channels(18 to 45 KHz) were recorded with flat frequency response. In the cutting system, as the surface velocity became lower, the electronics would add an inverse curve to compensate for the degradation.

I hope everyone had a good weekend,

Lou Dorren

I use a Shure V-15 Type III with an MR stylus
(not a CD-4 phono cartridge, but it works ok)
and a Technics SH-400.

When the carriers are switched on during the lead in
grooves, I can hear the background noise increase
noticeably.

ANRS provides about 10dB of noise reduction for the
difference signals in the carriers, why wasn't a more
powerful noise reduction system used (similar to dbx,
which provides about 30dB of noise reduction)?

Kirk Bayne
http://www.geocities.com/lislislislis/avdtv.htm

Last edited:
Hello kfbkfb,

The noise you are hearing is because the V15 is not a good cartridge for CD-4 playback. I has very poor frequency response above 20KHz and lots of phase nonlinearities in the subcarrier range. A new cartridge will help greatly.

Lou Dorren

Lou,
I sent you my eddress by 'private e-mail' last week, but am now wondering if you've enabled private contacts from this forum. In case not, my eddress (spelled-out to avoid being picked up by bots) is:
dfnojunk at shoalhaven dot net dot au
Thanks muchly for the datasheet offer.
Regards, Daniel

Hi to Lou and the entire gang!

I have been enjoying this forum for years, but officially joined just today.

For some historical details about KQIV in Lake Oswego, Oregon, please take a look at "DORREN QUADRAPLEX: THE LONG WAIT" on our blog at http://kq4.blogspot.com/.

Also, if you haven't seen our Rockin' In Quad site, check out http://www.rockininquad.com/.

J. R. Miller
KQIV CE/Jock, 1972-74

Hi to Lou and the entire gang!

I have been enjoying this forum for years, but officially joined just today.

For some historical details about KQIV in Lake Oswego, Oregon, please take a look at "DORREN QUADRAPLEX: THE LONG WAIT" on our blog at http://kq4.blogspot.com/.

Also, if you haven't seen our Rockin' In Quad site, check out http://www.rockininquad.com/.

J. R. Miller
KQIV CE/Jock, 1972-74
Hey KQ4!! I've seen you post over on PDX radio before!

I worked over at Entercom for a time as an engineer, where Gloria Johnson is currently working (weekends on KGON).

Shoot me an email sometime. I'd love to hear about some of your experiences at KQIV! DBerichon at gmail dot com.

Hello Lou,

Thank you very much for joining the Quad board. Any insights would be most appreciated. Since we're from the San Francisco Bay Area you might have knowledge of the 2 station Quad broadcasts that we're held here in the 1970's. If I recall correctly these broadcasts we're special weekend shows that aired in the mid 1970's. I remember taking the equivalent of 2 stereo boom boxes and listening to the shows. There was also a Sacramento station that supposedly broadcast Quadraphonic 24 / 7, KWOD (Quad) FM 106.5. I always wondered back then how that station broadcast Quad and how to receive the Quadraphonic music. I always assumed at the time that the more expensive amps would receive the Quadraphonic broadcast.
Thanks.
Jim White

Here is a poster from one of the first Bay Area Quad Broadcasts:

just started reading this forum!

I remeber listening to simucast(spelling ,yuk) from KQED in those days closest i thought we could get to Quadraphonic on TV.We had speakers facing down on the floor from the appartment upstairs and the stereo cranked up downstairs with channel 9 on the telly! GREAT!but not Quad.:rolleyes:

I had a Quad 8 track in my '64 Comet Cyclone in the '70's,Great music by groups like Pink Floyd and the Quess Who(which i bought by mistake thinking it was the Who...lol)

what i would give to have a quad in my 2007 Cad DTS!!!
Best sound system i have ever heard in a car ,The Quad 8 track!!!

63 now and still loving the sounds of yesteryear!:sun:banana::cool::phones

There are several aftermarket units that do surround; best option are the JVC units:

http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-KD-AVX2-DVD...ryZ50559QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(old model)

http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-KD-AVX33-DV...ryZ50559QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(new model)

both do dvd-audio, dts, dolby digital in full 5.1.

probably would sound a lot better than my stock Bose system,now i just need to get brave enough to have someone rip my car apart and install it!(2007 Cad DTS)

I had a '95 sts for 12 years and was never brave enough,might be time to get my head out of the sand!:mad:@::phones(y)

now what can I add to my new Home theater?

Onkyo 905 AVR,Monster Power HTS 3500,definitive 7.1 speaker set up and
Samsung 5271 LCD,with Toshiba XA3,PS3BD.

Oh to hear Quaddraphonics on this!Or whatever the improvment would be that would be recomended by Lou Dorren!

A late friend of Mine,Cadillac Jack,would go ape for this forum1 He spoke your language,I considered him a Genius in Electronics.
He Rebuilt his MacIntosh to sound better!
He had a Paragon by JVC,104" long, Speaker in his front room,With a bunch more Equipment,what a loss to the world of great sound he was.

Lou,was my Quadraphonic 8 track player in my '64 Comet Cyclone,in the '70's,
as great as I thought it was or was it the drugs?lol

what a great sound system for a car!

Thank you for all of your hard work and anything you create in the future!:sun

Mr GAS
Gary A Stephenson

probably would sound a lot better than my stock Bose system,now i just need to get brave enough to have someone rip my car apart and install it!(2007 Cad DTS)

I had a '95 sts for 12 years and was never brave enough,might be time to get my head out of the sand!:mad:@::phones(y)

now what can I add to my new Home theater?

Onkyo 905 AVR,Monster Power HTS 3500,definitive 7.1 speaker set up and
Samsung 5271 LCD,with Toshiba XA3,PS3BD.

Oh to hear Quaddraphonics on this!Or whatever the improvment would be that would be recomended by Lou Dorren!

A late friend of Mine,Cadillac Jack,would go ape for this forum1 He spoke your language,I considered him a Genius in Electronics.
He Rebuilt his MacIntosh to sound better!
He had a Paragon by JVC,104" long, Speaker in his front room,With a bunch more Equipment,what a loss to the world of great sound he was.

Lou,was my Quadraphonic 8 track player in my '64 Comet Cyclone,in the '70's,
as great as I thought it was or was it the drugs?lol

what a great sound system for a car!

Thank you for all of your hard work and anything you create in the future!:sun

Mr GAS
Gary A Stephenson

Gary,

Welcome to the forum. Do you have a Cadillac with the surround system in it? What does it play and how is it. So far, we've had folks with Infiniti's and Acuras, but not much info on the Caddy. Does it do DVD-Audios?

JONUrban; I have a 2007 Caddy DTS withstock 8 speaker bose system and I'm thinking of getting this surround sound system from ebay for the car.

That is what i was referring to.
Thanks
I used to have a quad systemm back in the 70's im my'64 Mercury Comet cyclone.after market unit from a local sound install store.

There are several aftermarket units that do surround; best option are the JVC units:

http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-KD-AVX2-DVD...ryZ50559QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(old model)

http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-KD-AVX33-DV...ryZ50559QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(new model)

both do dvd-audio, dts, dolby digital in full 5.1.

So the Caddy does DTS CDs in 5.1 but not DVD-Audios?

The Caddy is A DTS...sorry for the confusion...lol

I actually have not even tried the in dash player yet.

if only it were my old Quad 8 track player i would be a happy camper!:banana:

Do you know that there are a TON of DTS CDs created from those old Q8s and QLPs by "hobbiests"? Check out MATRIXQUADs web page for a great place to start.

Lou Dorren hit the nail on the head concerning HD radio. Working [or should I say, playing around with] a local non-commercial station I brought over several superb SACD disks. We set the transmission link up to avoid any non-mandated limiting, eq, or compression. We used my Sony MEX-DV2000 for reception and SACD playback in my vehicle for sonic comparison in the field. The SACD sounded superb in my vehicle's Sony player. The analog FM of the same materal was also superb, but it did not sound like the SACD disk played in the vehicle, the very low bass and the crisp clear sonics in the high end were gone. Good for stereo FM, but remember, I know of no commercial or even non-commercial FM source that can duplicate our test conditions, [direct output to the transmitter with no audio alteration and low audio level].

The HD stereo had better bass and seemed to have more of a high end, but the high end did not duplicated the clarity or sonic character of the FM or direct SACD output. In my opinion, when done carefully, stereo FM beats the sonic quality of HD stereo but does not fully capture the sonic quality of the CD/SACD output of an decent CD/SACD player. None of this came as a huge suprise. I would love to have tried mono FM v. mono SACD but it is hard to find good functional mono FM transmitter/receiver hardware. Mono FM has the potential to transmit a more extended frequency response and lower noise than we experience with FM stereo [thanks Zenith].

This station is still having a heck of a time setting the timing sync on its analog and digital feeds, but has finally altered its system to handly HD-2 without killing the reach of its HD-1 output. This HD FM technology is not yet ready for prime time in my opinion.

Richard

Hi to all you Quadies

I love this thread. Just wont to say that I have two boards with the QS1 5022 chips on them. Don't know what brand these boards are, on markings on them. I got them from ALL Electronicts years agao when I first started in Quad, never used them. Does anyone need the chips?

Great Quading
John:sun

Back