Beatles "Help" on DVD October 29 (Out Now!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been looking at the different multichannel versions of Help! (the song) that we now have available. The three versions are the snipet from Anthology, the complete version in Love and the complete version (with some projector noise at the end) from the Help! DVD.

Of course limiting any new mixes are the original 4-track master tapes (with mixdowns) and how they were recorded. It seems despite this limitation the Love version and the Help! version are different mixes. However, the Anthology version and the Help! version seem to be very similar (if not the same). I haven't had time to do some subtraction magic to figure out if the Anthology snipet and Help! are the same but my ears tell me the tracks are very similar (at least the three front channels).

Just did some listening/looking on You're Gonna Lose That Girl. This is definitely a different mix than the mix of the full song on Anthology. Interestingly on the Help! soundtrack the lead vocal is not spread across the front left/right (as was done on Anthology) but instead the lead vocal is "more naked" in the center channel with reverb in the rear channels. So it appears more remastering was done for the Help! soundtrack rather than relying on what was already available. For some interesting educational entertainment I recommend the front right channel of YGLTG (although the center channel of Only a Northern Song is much more unusual).

I'm curious if anyone else has compared tracks? Of course the main thing is that we gained seven new Beatles multichannel mixes! Hopefully more in the new year (holding my breath)...

Andy

Last edited:
Accepted that I missed the first week sale and bought a copy, quite stunned by the audio mix and surprsingly, the video quality also. I won't regurgitate what others have stated. My personal observation is that sales of the video have been quite strong, at least from judging how many went out of the door at BB in the 2 weeks since I first saw it!
My own wish release next would be for Magical Mystery Tour, mainly for the soundtrack songs.... although I do not dislike the plot line as many critics did at the time. It is a relic of 1967-68 afterall. Maybe then the Monkees "Head"...the Dave Clark Fives "Having A Wild Weekend"??? ;) John

f31d759203440790b3a9273191f849b6.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-Help-...e=UTF8&qid=1368630662&sr=1-1&keywords=beatles

More BEATLES on BLU-RAY!!!
This time it's HELP! :)

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-beatles-film-help-gets-blu-ray-release-june

The Beatles' film 'Help!' gets Blu-ray release in June

The Beatles’ second feature film, 1965’s “Help!,” will be released on Blu-ray June 25 in North America and June 24 everywhere else, EMI announced Wednesday.

The single-disc release will feature the digitally restored film and a 5.1 soundtrack with an hour of extra features, including a 30-minute documentary about the making of the film, memories of the cast and crew, a look at the restoration process, an outtake scene and original theatrical trailers and radio spots.
The booklet included with the new release will feature an introduction by director Richard Lester and an appreciation by Martin Scorsese.

One could...but the BD edition, other than in terms of resolution, isn't likely to be much different from the DVD...certainly you're not going to get a different audio mix, given the work that went into the DVD edition. But extras? You never know....

ED :)

Does the DVD have lossless sound? Otherwise I'd think the BD will sound way better.

One could...but the BD edition, other than in terms of resolution, isn't likely to be much different from the DVD...certainly you're not going to get a different audio mix, given the work that went into the DVD edition. But extras? You never know....

ED :)

Yes! The notes on amazon mention the video was cleaned up well, nothing on the audio. I found the Yellow Sub. music to be a bit "lacking" in the "it was remastered" dept. I feel that if they could clean up the stuff on Love album as was done, why not this? I'm going to wait to see if it was attended to properly. As far as the statement in the BD music thread about respecting the original, bullshit! Look at the wonderful job they did with Love. There are no excuses! I say allow the listener to decide what is the best way to listen.

Only about 3 more days to go. BBY price $28.99 (so far). I will have them price match Amazon for $21.99.

Back