Tangerine Dream - Phaedra

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ge Someone

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
The CD "Tangerine Dream - Phaedra" sounds remarkable when decoded with (for instance) ProLogicII (music). Like Electric Ladyland things really pan back and forth at times.
This is an 1974 electronic recording, and the (slightly experimental) music sounds somewhat dated, nevertheless it needs to be mentioned on the "Stereo decodes good to quad" list.

I agree. My stereo is older than yours. I have played my copy of the "Phaedra" LP through QS, and am now listening to it in SQ. SQ, surprisingly, is a lot more interesting here than QS was. There really is a LOT going on here.

Anyone tried it in SPEC? I might give it a go....

Rubycon is my favourite Tangerine Dream.... Might have to try that too!

The CD "Tangerine Dream - Phaedra" sounds remarkable when decoded with (for instance) ProLogicII (music). Like Electric Ladyland things really pan back and forth at times.
This is an 1974 electronic recording, and the (slightly experimental) music sounds somewhat dated, nevertheless it needs to be mentioned on the "Stereo decodes good to quad" list.

I think the system decodes "somehow" ladyland and the individual tracks it was made with.
How else can you desribe the effects you hear, I went thru this a long time ago with a cheapo sony avr with "matrix" surround, well before
ac3, or even pro-logic. I swear, it was doing stuff you would hear today with dvd -a or sacd. There is something to this.
Although it's not real discrete sound, something is going on. What a great album!!

I have both of these on the original vinyl and an old cd of Phaedra. I will definately have to try this! Thanks!

Anyone can confirm if Phaedra is a HDCD?

My copy on CD I purchased a few years back is just a normal CD.

I have Rubycon on stereo SACD... awesome.... got it before it got expensive...glad I'm not trying to get it now.

Last edited:
Back