Help create a "Surround Sound Pt II" Timeline

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I'd like to create a timeline of the second phase of surround music releases. Something like:

1997 - DTS releases first DTS CD (info)
1999 - Sony releases first SACD (info)
1999 - WB releases first DVD-A (info)

but more detailed, with exact dates for important releases of titles and equipment. Something for posterity.

It would be great if you all could help by adding things to this thread via replys and I will compile all of the info, updating the second post here to create the timeline, then make it a web page here. A real community effort.

Don't count LaserDiscs, as those were primarily video. Let's start with DTS/Brad Miller and go forward from there. We can tell the history, the ups, and then the spiral down, of the surround sound music movement of the turn of the century.

Anyone want to help?

<timeline starts here>

October 3, 2000: Big Phat Band "Swinging for the Fences" released by Silverline (FIRST DVD-A)

August 19, 2003: Sony releases 15 Bob Dylan albums on SACD

Happy to contribute. I just came across a mint 4 page I WANT MY DTS! 5.1 Marketing & Sales brochure from 1997? If you don't have it I'll scan it.

Should we go back to the first Dolby Surround CDs that were released? ... Tomita comes to mind, and some of the RCA quadradisc titles were released as Dolby Surround CDs as well.

Last edited:
Happy to contribute. I just came across a mint 4 page I WANT MY DTS! 5.1 Marketing & Sales brochure from 1997? If you don't have it I'll scan it.
I know for a fact we released the first title in 1996 and it was!!!!!
Surround Sound for the Millennium:smokin
The disc we made to promote that box! Also were the Mystic Mood titles and the 3 disc set Brad made of sound effects -Movie Tracks. I might be able to find the timeline they were available, but it was all within a month or so. We sold all these at CES in 1996. We walked around CES in 1995 with covers of the titles we were gonna release the next year(we hoped) and these were mockups of Days of Future Passed and Claptons 461. The mockup for DOFP is still here on a wall.

Last edited:
Mike- Yes, I even have some of those Tomita DPL CDs. I'll check the dates on them.

Tad - I knew you'd have some stuff. 1996!! Wow, I forgot it was so long ago.

THNAKS GUYS

Here's a gem...

The Home Video Album CD on RCA Victor 60354-2-RC issued 1989. Remixed for Dolby Surround and features CD+G (Compact Disc+Graphics)! :mad:@:

I'll make a scan ASAP...

Here's a gem...

The Home Video Album CD on RCA Victor 60354-2-RC issued 1989. Remixed for Dolby Surround and features CD+G (Compact Disc+Graphics)! :mad:@:

I'll make a scan ASAP...

Would you believe I have that one too! It has a yellow cover, right? I'll dig it out as well.

I'm pretty sure I bought my first DTS CD's at Ken Crane's Laserdisc in 1995.
Couldn't play them -- cheapest DTS decoder was $1200.
They had one at Atlantic Music in Costa Mesa for a demo.

Also:
2000 -- CES demo of first multichannel SACD -- Tubular Bells / Mike Oldfield
2000? CES demo of first 10.2 surround system at Alexis Park (Herbie Hancock track)

I'm pretty sure I bought my first DTS CD's at Ken Crane's Laserdisc in 1995.
Couldn't play them -- cheapest DTS decoder was $1200.
They had one at Atlantic Music in Costa Mesa for a demo.

Also:
2000 -- CES demo of first multichannel SACD -- Tubular Bells / Mike Oldfield
2000? CES demo of first 10.2 surround system at Alexis Park (Herbie Hancock track)
eggplant
DTS had only the "purple box", a demo unit in 1995.

Here's the front and back covers of a Dolby Surround cd from 1995. I also enclosed a blurb from within the cd booklet:

Attachments

• 1995 Dolby Surround cd 1.jpg
    1995 Dolby Surround cd 1.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 230
  • 1995 Dolby Surround cd 2jpg.jpg
    1995 Dolby Surround cd 2jpg.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 228
  • 1995 Dolby Surround insert blurb.jpg
    1995 Dolby Surround insert blurb.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 227
Hey Bidcat: I also had bought Laser Discs from Ken Crane many years ago. Are they still around? Who is Ken Crane? I still have a ton of Laser Discs. They are still great. Some of this stuff cannot be found or bought now. No macrovision copyguard on any of them. I previously had a huge collection of Quad tapes & Vinyl. Too bad I sold it a long time ago. Looks like it would have been worth alot today. I also had a huge Audiophile Vinyl Collection. Too bad I sold it also. I sold it all to a guy here in Maryland. Then when I contacted him maybe about 3 months later, he had moved to Texas. Somewhere in Texas there are alot of Audiophile Vinyl there. The saddest part is I had A UHQR from Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs of Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (the Beatles) cut at 1/2 speed on double thick Japanese vinyl. It had a very low serial number, heavy duty box, certificate of authenticity, etc. I only played it once on my Philips 212 Turntable with a brand new Shure V15 Type V Cartridge. Bummer! I am kicking myself in the rear ever since. I still have 3 Laser Disc players. Pioneer CLD- 3070, and Pioneer CLD-D701 (both have 2 sided play)_, and a Zenith LD Player (hardly ever used). Still have a Panasonic Pro VHS Recorder AG-1830, and Hitachi S770-SX5. In addition to that, I have a current 7.1 Digital System with all separates (ADA PTM- 8150 Amp, B & K Ref 30 Preamp/Processor, 2- HSU TNN-1220(top of the Line) Subs with separate HSU Subwoofer Amp fan cooled, Rack mount 500 watts RMS, JVC HD Projector (120" screen), Samsung BP-UP 5000 Blu Ray/ HDDVD player all in one, etc. Also into Karaoke: Vocopro Karaoke Player. This system plays Karaoke in full Digital Surround Sound. Digital Optical Cable for the music. Of course, Vocals are analog, with separate Sonance Power Amp,speakers, mics, etc. It's a great Karaoke Party with the CD +G graphics showing up on the 120" screen. Better then any Bar Restaurant around here.

Back