Any opinions on Moby's Play DVD?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GabeL

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Hey there, Just wondering if anybody owns the Moby Play dvd? If so, can you give your opinion and tell us what the sound mix is in?

Thanks.

I didn't know there was one. If it's a good 5.1, I'd like it. That's a pretty cool album.

I didn't know there was one. If it's a good 5.1, I'd like it. That's a pretty cool album.

Exactly what I am trying to find out....but yes, it would be very good in 5.1 (though the dvd is live footage combined with videos...from what I've seen).

Cheers,
Gabe

The DVD is in real 5.1, Dolby Digital only. Nice mixes, not too spectacular but effective, and very good sound quality overall. Content details are on discogs.

It contains 10 videos, 3 of which are different versions of songs. "Bodyrock", "Natural Blues" and "Porcelain" each have 2 videos on the DVD. Then, there's an 88-minute megamix of Moby's music, done by various DJs, and a live TV performance. The set is rounded off by a featurette called "Give an Idiot a Camcorder", which I haven't yet watched. But apparently, it's a fun documentary shot by Moby.

It's definitely real 5.1.

The videos: "Why does my Heart feel so bad?" is excellent, with the pianos in the rears. As a general impression, I would say all video mixes are front-heavy with the rears filling in ambiance and enriching the sound. There's still enough discrete stuff going on to enjoy the videos through and through. For instance, the "Fire" version of "Bodyrock" has sound effects going all around the room.

The megamix is a treat for electronic music fans. Very trancey. The 5.1 is similar to the videos: front-heavy, but still a lot of discrete elements and synth ambiance in the rears. It's accompanied by animations.

For the videos and megamix, the sound quality, to my ears, is very good: rich, full and strong. I'm not bothered by the fact it's only Dolby Digital.

The TV performance, on the other hand, sounds nowhere as good as the videos and megamix. It's subdued and buried somewhere in the speakers. It's fun to listen to nonetheless, the performances are very nice.

The DVD comes with a CD that has the megamix on it.

For 34 cents on amazon, this is a no-brainer. I'll also check out the "18 DVD + B-Sides" disc.

Back