HiRez Poll Charles, Ray & Count Basie - RAY SINGS AND BASIE SWINGS [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Ray Charles & Count Basie - RAY SINGS AND BASIE SWINGS

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Mix, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this new (2007) release from Telarc Records! (y):phones(n)

This one is easy. It's a 10. It's like having Ray in the room singing at the top of his game along with a very well recorded orchestra. One of the best sonically pleasing recordings I have. With something of this quality you tend to not be bothered with the discreteness of the surround mix. It is very "Concord" in the back to front mixing approach in that regard. Those that have Concord releases will know what I mean. Not a lot of discreteness. However, highly recommended if you like this type of music.

The first few times I listened to this I couldn't get it out of my head as to how they mixed this album - Ray's voice from 1970 something merged with today's Basie orchestra - and that got in the way. But once I got over that (and I did on about the 4th go-round) - well it's a great album. To hear this legend in surround with sacd quality singing these great tunes is wonderful. Probably not my dream set of RC tracks - a bit less of the slow stuff would have been nice - but can't really quibble too much on that. With the quality of this recording, I'll likely learn to enjoy those slow tunes more and more. I did find the center channel was a bit weak on my system so I bumped it up to increase the drums, bass, and Ray. I gave it a 10.

Good stuff! the music and sonics is a 9 in my book. I distract 1 point from that because Ray's voice is coming from all speakers, he's in the middle of the room. I want my lead vocal to emphasize on the front soundscape.

In total an 8, absolutely very enjoyable despite the lead vocal "blunder".

//Uffe

Nice...an excellent example of using today's non-linear audio technology for good, as opposed to assembling final mixes from bits and pieces from a multitude of bad "takes" (makes lazy musicians). I have no problem with Ray's voice coming at me from all sides, this gives him a great presence. The musical mix is quite good also, excellent timbres. I gave it a 9 because I was a little underwhelmed by the slight lack of "swing" in the band. However given the constraints of putting a new musical frame around Ray's stellar vocal performance this is understandable.

This is the first new SACD I've gotten in a long time and it's a real gem.

This one is easy. It's a 10. It's like having Ray in the room singing at the top of his game along with a very well recorded orchestra. One of the best sonically pleasing recordings I have. With something of this quality you tend to not be bothered with the discreteness of the surround mix. It is very "Concord" in the back to front mixing approach in that regard. Those that have Concord releases will know what I mean. Not a lot of discreteness. However, highly recommended if you like this type of music.

Great job by Telarc's Michael Bishop on this one. I agree - it's a must own Surround Sound SACD.

Gotta say I love the mix on this one! I think the way they made it with Ray's voice filling the middle of the room and the instruments surrounding it is outstanding. His voice sounds so good for being recorded so long ago.

I'm more of a rocker, so not sure it will get a whole lot of play, but it is a great listen when the mood strikes.

K

Gotta say I love the mix on this one! I think the way they made it with Ray's voice filling the middle of the room and the instruments surrounding it is outstanding. His voice sounds so good for being recorded so long ago.

I'm more of a rocker, so not sure it will get a whole lot of play, but it is a great listen when the mood strikes.

K

Agreed. When Ray & the Orchestra crank it up in full 5.1 SACD Surround on "Busted", that alone is worth the price of the SACD !

I'm always surprised how well this one works whenever I put it on. It's remarkable how seamlessly Ray's vocal blends with the band. An impressive technical feat to be sure. Great performances, fidelity and mix. And the Patti Austin led Raelettes are divine. A 9 for me.

Back