HiRez Poll Porcupine Tree - FEAR OF A BLANK PLANET [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Porcupine Tree - FEAR OF A BLANK PLANET

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments about this new release from Porcupine Tree. (y):phones(n)

Attachments

• PT FOAB F.jpg
    PT FOAB F.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 560
  • PT FOAB R.jpg
    PT FOAB R.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 576
Easy vote - 10. It does seem to sound a little bit better then the DTS version, no A/B comparison or anything but I was just listening to the DTS last night.

I like the Nil Recurring not being in stereo at all. Sorry, 2 channel people need not apply :cool:

If Elliot Scheiner had done the 5.1 mixes it would have been an 11. SW does a very good job, I like Elliot's wilder mixes a little better.

I haven't listened to the entire disc yet, so I will add more later:
The disc opens up fairly quickly to a nice menu screen (about 20 seconds). Of course I went straight to the dvd-audio tracks since I already have the dts disc. So far I've only played this on my computer. On the computer I can easily switch between the Creative Dvd-Audio player and the Power DVD player for comparisons of the dts tracks vs. the dvd-audio tracks. On the first song "Fear of a Blank Planet" there is a big difference to my ears between the dvd-audio track and the dts track. The dvd-audio version is a lot more open, the vocals clearer. It seems to be an entirely different mix between the speakers. I haven't compared the rest of the album yet.
On to the video portion of the disc. As I stated, a nice menu comes up with options for the usual: playlist, audio select and extras. Extras: Videos, bonus tracks, lyrics.
Videos: Fear of a blank planet (intro) - A creepy mix of video/slides with trippy music. Dialogue and footage of teens overkill to tv, video game, pills and violence.
Video: Fear of a Blank Planet (uncesnsored) - Similar to what's seen on the background at a PT concert mixed to the song. Sweet in 5.1 DTS.
Video: Anesthesize - Great (long) video with awesome time lapse photography. Full length version.
The lyrics look like they have to be accessed one song at a time. It appears you can't have the song playing to the lyrics.
Bonus Tracks: Nil Recurring, Normal, Cheating the Polygraph, and What Happens Now. I haven't given these a thorough listen, the first track is an instrumental, the second track "Normal" I liked quite a bit upon first listen.
Overall a great album and great package, my ratings:
Audio Mix: 9.5 (great mix, but I enjoyed other PT album mixes a bit more)
Album (music): 8 (have to listen more than once, starts to grow on you)
Extras: 10 (4 bonus songs and 3 music videos all in surround)
Value: 10 (A bargain for everything included and a rare dvd-a release)
Overall: 9.5 (Great band, mix, not my favorite PT album, but a must have.)

For the purposes of the poll, I will round up to a 10. :banana:

I love it!

But PT suffer from the curse of being compared to themselves, and since they have done both better records and better 5.1-mixes, I must limit myself to a 9.

Value for money is a clear 10.

You don't have to hesitate, go and get it!

//Uffe

They must have let these discs through the picket lines..... I had to second Uffe, the value is outstanding (can't believe I only payed $x for a DVD-A shipped from the UK) but I do prefer some of their other mixes a bit more, songs are all very good. John S.

I received mine in NYC yesterday and I pretty much agree with elshagon that the DVD-A version is more open and a little cleaner than the DTS.

IMO the "nil" EP stuff is better than the album proper.
There is no argument that this is a top notch release, I only wish I liked the music better. I just can't get into it and I find that I was only listing to the main album for the sake that it was in surround and sounds good coming out of the speakers. The songs themselves do nothing for me.

I guess I prefer the music from the Stupid Dream/Lighbulb Sun era and Steve's work with Blackfield more.

The mix does not seem to be much different than the DTS version so I will be trying to unload the CD/DTS version from my collection. No need to keep two versions of something I am not thrilled with. An overall good surround experience but I think it is the weakest of the PT batch.

While I spent way too much money on the second Genesis SACD box set, I feel like I underpaid for this even though I am not thrilled with the music :eek: It is hard to believe that this loaded DVD-A was less expensive than the DTS version. Perhaps a slight tip of the hat from Steve to the small but loyal group of 5.1 and audiophile junkies. PT certainly gets good press with these releases in the publications that cater to high end (and probably higher income) enthusiasts.

I only wish I liked the music better. I just can't get into it and I find that I was only listing to the main album for the sake that it was in surround and sounds good coming out of the speakers. The songs themselves do nothing for me.

I guess I prefer the music from the Stupid Dream/Lighbulb Sun era and Steve's work with Blackfield more.

The mix does not seem to be much different than the DTS version so I will be trying to unload the CD/DTS version from my collection. No need to keep two versions of something I am not thrilled with. An overall good surround experience but I think it is the weakest of the PT batch.

The mix is exactly the same. The sole difference is the lossless against the perceptual encodings. All settings - including the LFE filters - are identical in every way.
I find that the more I listen to this one, the more I like it. It's a grower - no doubt about it.

You'll be happy to know we just started on Lightbulb Sun as well.....

Neil,
Is there anyway for you to let us know how well these are selling? I'd love for some other band to notice that PT is selling a lot of these and be inspired to go the special edition DVD-A route as well.

I don't have the equipment to take advantage of the MLP audio quality, but I can give my opinion about the content.

First, the video material. The introduction video is interesting, but I still get that whole 'SW is going through his midlife crisis'-feel. I'm not going to discuss that here, though.
The FoaBP video I had seen before, but it's much nicer in DVD resolution and with surround sound.
The video Anaesthetize is very nicely done and all, but the first two parts... Well, isn't this the kind of stuff that gives people seizures? My head hurt afterwards. It's trippy and hectic, which is 'fitting' (chuckles at lame unintended pun), but it's a bit too trippy and hectic. My head hurts >.< The last part, though, is gorgeous (clichéd caleidoscope effects aside). All in all, a nice bonus.
The menus are excellent. They're not too slow or too fast or too unhandy, they fit the concept perfectly. Good job.

Then, the music. I voiced my opinion about the main album and its DTS mix before, so I'm not going to do it again. It's great, obviously. The Nil Recurring EP is absolutely excellent. I love Normal especially. The mix is also amazing. I have a feeling it's a bit more aggressive than the mix of main album (or maybe I just got too used to that one). I could use a bit more aggression still (à la A Night at the Opera, maybe) but this is already quite awesome.

The one thing that bothered me a bit: no stereo version for the EP. I would have liked one so I could take the album with me on the bus. Now I had to jump through hoops to get a stereo version. Minor annoyance, though. 5.1 is vastly superior to stereo anyway :p

10/10, no question. This kind of quality and content is extremely rare, especially considering the price.

EDIT: Oh, one more thing: YAY FOR LIGHTBULB SUN IN SURROUND!

The mix is exactly the same. The sole difference is the lossless against the perceptual encodings. All settings - including the LFE filters - are identical in every way.
I find that the more I listen to this one, the more I like it. It's a grower - no doubt about it.

You'll be happy to know we just started on Lightbulb Sun as well.....

Wow! I have a modest system and I never felt that I could hear a discernable difference between DTS, SACD and or DVD-A (aside from an acknowledged different mix) on the few duplicate title discs I have to compare. I guess I was wrong.

I read Neil’s response and went back for a second listen and I swear the DVD-A sounds more open and more detailed than the DTS on my system. OK now I understand why you guys always get a little bummed when these 5.1 offerings only come out in DTS.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU For the news about work commencing on “Lightbulb Sun”. That album already sounds so good and I am sure it is going to sound so much better and in 5.1! THANK YOU! You rock Neil!

Now if anybody can convince Marillion to create a 5.1 of their albums “Brave” and “Marbles”, I would die a happy man!

I vote this a 10 - the kind of album you sit through from beginning to end. The ambient textures from the keyboards were mixed perfectly. The vocal chorus on My Ashes sounds beautiful as well. Sleep Together sounds majestic when the orchestra kicks in.

I wish there was an option to revise the order of the tracks from Nil Recurring within FOABP. Apparently the vinyl edition has Cheating the Polygraph as the third song in FOABP and then the other 3 songs at the end.

For those looking for a stereo version of Nil Recurring, there is a CD version for sale on the burning shed website.

Great news on Lightbulb Sun !!!
If SW is taking some time off it will be great to have something to look forward to !!:)

~M~

DVD-A arrived in Nashville yesterday and spun it all last night. Neil - your hard work shows!! When the disc seamlessly (and perfectly timed IMHO) changed tracks (which a number of DVD-A discs do clumsily) I had a mental picture of you slaving to get this disc as right as possible.

This was perfect as we saw PT in Nashville the night before, blending the FOABP and RN tracks together nicely. What Happens Now? was the 2nd song they played right after FOABP opening track. Cheating the Polygraph was placed in the middle of the set. Having just seen the show I would comment on the DVD-A's videos next.

The first is a 5 min video unique to this disc and maybe internet; it is pretty unsettling but good to see at least once. The uncensored FOABP video (released the same day as VA Tech massacre and thus pulled) is almost the same as the stage video used during the song performance. I believe it's just a matter of subtracting any of the band playing on TV images since the band is playing live in front of you. Anesthetize looked pretty close to what we saw for the 17 minute performance. Nice all around and true to SW's concept.

All you people who waited for FOABP DVD-A before hearing the album, I can't say how deprived (or depraved) that is! True, you're getting the best version right off the bat, but having heard this album since May and twice in concert, I can can speak to how much DEPTH and DETAIL that the DVD-A adds to every song.

Example: In concert, SW let's John Wesley sing the bulk of My Ashes while he plays keyboards. This gives it an interesting twist that sounds really different. On the DVD-A I can now hear more clearly that he was there all along. Everything sounds stronger, fuller and effortlessly powerful.

Once again, high marks for SW, PT, Neil Wilkes for coming through for the diehard DVD-A fans.
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

All you people who waited for FOABP DVD-A before hearing the album, I can't say how deprived (or depraved) that is! True, you're getting the best version right off the bat, but having heard this album since May and twice in concert, I can can speak to how much DEPTH and DETAIL that the DVD-A adds to every song.

Example: In concert, SW let's John Wesley sing the bulk of My Ashes while he plays keyboards. This gives it an interesting twist that sounds really different. On the DVD-A I can now hear more clearly that he was there all along. Everything sounds stronger, fuller and effortlessly powerful.
Wouldn't these be reasons for waiting for the dvd-a?

Not really, depends on how you read it.

My intent was to convey that by being quite familar with the music itself, I could appreciate the leap in quality even more and point to precise instances.

This is one of my favorite bands and I enjoy their work so much I'd never deprive myself from enjoying the music for 6 months.

Well they do say that patience is a virtue. I only ever wanted to get the dvd-a. They also say that a penny saved is a penny earned. So I guess we are just looking at it in different ways.

A used DTS version is still going for a few bucks more than it cost in the second market and the the DVD-A version is much cheaper.

So perhaps you can say in this instance, a penny spent is a free DVD-A ;)

Just to throw in my two cents worth:;)

I grew up with so many choices in music artistry. I was blessed.
Now, as I age, there are fewer releases to look forward to. Through this forum, I discovered PT. This band does everything imaginable for their fan base. I will not hesitate to throw my "Music" money their way. If they put out a simple CD, I will buy it. A DVD-A, I will buy it. Even if it seems to be a duplication of effort. There are not many bands that I will do this for. They are truly a rare breed and deserve as much support as they can get. An "Investment" if you will.

My humble opinion.:smokin

Back