HiRez Poll Porcupine Tree - FEAR OF A BLANK PLANET [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Porcupine Tree - FEAR OF A BLANK PLANET

• Total voters
This is getting great reviews. I will have to find it and order it. I haven't listened to my three PT DVD-A's in months but got "Deadwing" out today and it is great and I recall the other two are even better. Hopefully the next PT disc won't be too long in the future.

Chris

Definitely recommended. I have the other PT DVDA albums, and I think this one might turn out to be my favorite.

After my 5th listening session with this album I've finally got all the speakers levels set properly. But it's also taken that long to hear the detail in each song. Initially it was the just the rhythmic characteristics of the album that seemed to stand out. Now the distinctiveness of each song is starting to surface. And still there is a wonderful flow from song to song which is so unusual. It's not like any other disc that I own. It is an album that is so easy to listen to in its entirety each time that I put it on. I'm almost tempted to call it a work of art. Great job. Easily a 10. I think this will be an album I'll treasure for a long time to come.

One question:
is it 24/48 right?

I was was quite surprised when I saw that MLP coding was done that way.

I played it through PowerDVD 7, though I heared it before with my Sigmatek, and looking for info about quality PDVD says it's 24/48.

Still great sounding :smokin

All the PT DVD-A are 24/48.
MLP Encoding still reduces the file sizes (which is the main reason to use it at 24/48 resolution) to allow the Video_TS material the necessary space ion the disc.

All the PT DVD-A are 24/48.
MLP Encoding still reduces the file sizes (which is the main reason to use it at 24/48 resolution) to allow the Video_TS material the necessary space ion the disc.

Thanks Neil (y)

I bought my copy from burning shed, but I was wondering why choose NTSC for europe?
I know PAL plays faster on 24fps material.

Thanks Neil (y)

I bought my copy from burning shed, but I was wondering why choose NTSC for europe?
I know PAL plays faster on 24fps material.

I've heard that virtually all PAL dvd players can play NTSC, whereas only a few NTSC players will play PAL correctly. So, NTSC is basically a universal format - especially for something like this where the music is the main feature. Much easier (cheaper) than making 2 different versions.

I've heard that virtually all PAL dvd players can play NTSC, whereas only a few NTSC players will play PAL correctly. So, NTSC is basically a universal format - especially for something like this where the music is the main feature. Much easier (cheaper) than making 2 different versions.

What I was referring to is DVD-V playback, PAL and its similar as SECAM are used in Europe, China, Australia and Russia.
That said, the only reason to produce a NTSC DVD is video footage, maybe filmed in 24fps, NTSC is ideal for sinc with music with 3:2 pulldown, whereas PAL requires to play at 25fps 4% faster.

It's NTSC simply because there are very, very few DVD-A players in the USA that can accept PAL, and you can count the DVD-V players using the fingers of one hand. I have never yet seen a PAL DVD-A player that cannot handle NTSC though.
This is a "One size fits all" disc, so it had to be NTSC.
There are no speed differences on this one - I assure you of that. This has all been very carefully checked.

I have already voted a 9.

When listening more I do find it better and better, I hear more nuances and complexity built in to this piece of art.

Just for the record, If I should vote today it would be a 10.

Without any kind of doubt, this will be the record/product of the year for me.

Now I am really looking forward to the Blackfield live DVD. The teaser on the net has even risen my expectation, and if the audio is on par with the fantastic "Arriving somewhere...", Steven Wilson will take us to heaven once again.

//Uffe

Simply fantastic, all around. Kudos to everyone involved. Would be a 10, but I knocked off one point for some slight sibilance in the back vox, and lack of a CD like the 2-disc Stupid Dream SE. I'm just a little pissed I can't just take the stereo mix with me in my iPod/iPhone. Or...just include mp3 files on the disc in a data folder...?

Also, big tip of the hat to Darcy, who mastered this very similarly to Deadwing, with some nice dynamic range. Great authoring by Neil, as always.

A solid 10.

The Nil Recurring cuts are fantastic!

The videos complete the package.

What a great job by all involved. Thank You.:smokin

Alright, so I'm slow to the game. Damn, if this isn't a 10 -TEN - 10! All I can say is "Wow!", what a great disc, and so far I haven't even "looked" at it. I won't take it out of the car! :D

The drums on track 3 are amazing (Anesthetize), and the HiRez surround mix far surpasses the word "stunning". The tunes are interesting the first listen, which makes you want to hear them again and suddenly you find yourself replaying them. A great disc.

Great job to all involved, and a big thanks to Neil for carrying the banner for HiRez surround to all that will listen.

We'll listen! :D

(PS - I added scans of my disc to the thread in post 1)

I had wondered if you had the PT discs Jon, figured it wasn't really your type of music. The same could have been said about me before In Absentia - you discover some great music due to the limited number of Hi-Res releases. All the PT DVD-As are great, but this one really shines. The more I listen to it the better it gets.

I gave this a 19 . I would have given it a 20 but the case was broken in transit ;) I believe these guys are the most talented and interesting band out there at the moment , plus they support Dvd-A when others who should know better don't bother :(

If anyone ever asks me again the difference between Lossy (dts) and Lossless (Mlp) this is the disc I will use to demonstrate it .

~M~

I see there are now 36 votes on this title (11/01 was 30) but this seems shy. Sure would like to see another 10 votes happen on this as the 12/01 update is approaching fast.... ;)

This band just continues to astound. Recording is incredible. A buddy who is a drum tech was listening to it on my system. He looked at me at one point and said," He makes that Sonor kit sound good." I asked him if he was familiar with Harrison. He was, but not as the drummer for Porcupine Tree. But definitely could tell they were Sonor Drums. Very impressive! I'd also like to think my system had no small part in it too.LOL

Back