Music DVD Poll Blackfield - LIVE IN NYC [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-V disc "Blackfield - Live NYC 2007"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 2 - Poor Mix, Visuals & Features

• 1 - Just don't waste your money

• Total voters

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Please post your thoughts, comments & Observations.

Attachments

• blackfield_2.jpg
    blackfield_2.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 484
Last edited:
arrived yesterday and Now im playing catch up (FOTBP as well to Listen too) , the builders are gone the DVD player and speakers are all back in situ.

initial impression another winner. This is my first taste of Blackfield, and I liked what i was hearing. The Mix was not the usual Live "crowd in the rears Mix". Picture quality was excellent and of course No DD surround only DTS or LPCM stereo.

I liked what i saw and heard last night will give it a full run through before voting though.

I've given it a complete run-through now but will vote after at least one more time through. I've ripped the audio and got it on my iPod too - just so I can enjoy it while out walking or commuting to/from work.

I really like this disc so far. No, there's not really anything fancy about it - it is for the most part just good ol' well shot concert footage. I like how there is the occasional bit shown filmed from the crowd and you can see peoples heads and shoulders - it gives the feeling and perspective like you're there in the room.

Any negatives I have are pretty minor and trivial. In places I think the keyboards are just a little bit low in the mix...not very much as they're still audible and clear, but just a nudge. I wonder a bit about the use of some sequenced/pre-recorded stuff in a few songs too. I know in places the songs are going to require that in order to get anywhere near the nice lush sound of the studio versions, but in "The Hole In Me" the acoustic guitar part is not played live, yet Aviv is just singing - could he have not played the acoustic part live - he plays the acoustic on some other songs.

But overall it's a winner - the performance is nice and energetic, they cover the material from both albums well (only 1 cut from II is not done) and the version of "Thank You" is outstanding - a nice re-interpretation of Steven's cover version.

I agree to the previous posting. It feels like an honest concert registration.
The sound is good too. Sometimes even a bit too good (there are a (very) few extra parts (vocal, guitar and keyboard) that seemed not to be played live), maybe I should by now accept that this is common practice today.
The 5.1 mix has a certain "quad" feel to it because:
1) the center is sparsely used (only acoustic guitar (and vocal on Aviv's solo song))
2) the backing vocals (of the bass and the keyboard players) are in the back, together with some keyboard.

As I said before, Blackfield live has a lot more impact than on the studio albums.
doppelbock
(only 1 cut from II is not done)
I would have liked "This Killer" too, but 82 min. runtime is OK :)

(not a big deal, but Aviv could have kept a shirt on.)

Just received my copy today (thanks to a very generous friend) - first off, exellent sound and video DTS 5.1 and 48/24 stereo PCM. The sound is warm and the surrounds are used well. This is also my first taste of Blackfield and my initial impression is Porcupine Tree "Lite." SW is a prolific writer and performer and unlike No Man and Bass Communion, this is pretty derivative stuff. I found myself thinking that I have heard these chord progressions somewhere before - but a minor criticism overall. I would give it a solid 8.(y)

Very much enjoyed this today. Enveloping mix almost all of the time; pro multi-camera shoot edited nicely made it seem like a larger venue than it was. The buzz on the Residents Of A Blank Planet site are uniformly positive with hints that the Boston show(s) were even better.

It's amazing how SW can be so prolific on several fronts at once, yet Axl Rose cannot get another record done and released in a decade.... LOL

Voting an 8 for this after watching it 4 times. Similar to the PT DVD from a sound quality perspective. 1 point deducted for Avivs' shirt being off and the eye sparkles. Just kidding. :D

Love the music , but thought it should have been rated 'R' for the eye sparklies :)

~M~

Yeah I can live with the shirt on Thanks and the eye makeup is out of place on a steven Wilson album. IMO
Other then that a solid 8.. Shirt on no eye makeup a 9

The music after a couple more listens is a10. It's my go to music right now..

I forgot to vote on this. This one is a 9 for me. If it was lossless would have been a 10 as the music's great, the mix another good one from Steven Wilson. I don't care about the visual part as most times just listen to the mix without visual.
After hearing this, still so wish that Avi Geffen would give Steven Wilson the green light for Blackfield 1 and 2 to come out in surround.
Its up to Avi G. as we know if it was up to Steven Wilson only we would have had those in surround already.
Anyone who doesn't have this, its a great listen.

peter

Immersive mix, as noted before. Lots of discrete music in the surrounds. I'm disappointed that Aviv didn't take off his pants too, but oh well. His vocals are a bit pitchy at times, to my ears.
Music gets a little boring at times. Funny how Pain reminds me of Zombie, by the Cranberries. The progression and beat anyway. Zombie is more memorable.
This is somewhere in the 7 or 8 range for me. It is extremely well done, but there is lots of SW material out there that is simply more interesting.

Found this for under $10 at a local shop a couple weeks back. I have to say that I'm not a big fan of Aviv Geffen's voice - it works as a harmony or co-lead with Wilson in tracks like "The Hole In Me" and "Someday", but I find myself hitting the skip button whenever he sings lead. I do enjoy most of the songs with SW on lead vocals ("Once", "Blackfield", "Christenings", etc), though the lyrics can be a bit cringey at times.

The 5.1 mix is phenomenal, maybe the best live one I've heard from Wilson to date. It really puts you in the middle of the performance, with absolute seperation between front and rear. I'd actually rate this higher than what was done for Anesthetize and Home Invasion. My only gripe would be that it sounds maybe a bit too clean at times, as if they replaced a lot of the live recording with studio overdubs. The drums spread over the entire surround field at the beginning of "Once" sound glorious, and the main keyboard part in "Blackfield" is mixed entirely to the rears. There are even some passages where all four corner speakers feature different vocalists (SW front right, Geffen front left, keyboard player rear left, and drummer rear right).

Found this for under $10 at a local shop a couple weeks back. I have to say that I'm not a big fan of Aviv Geffen's voice - it works as a harmony or co-lead with Wilson in tracks like "The Hole In Me" and "Someday", but I find myself hitting the skip button whenever he sings lead. I do enjoy most of the songs with SW on lead vocals ("Once", "Blackfield", "Christenings", etc), though the lyrics can be a bit cringey at times.

The 5.1 mix is phenomenal, maybe the best live one I've heard from Wilson to date. It really puts you in the middle of the performance, with absolute seperation between front and rear. I'd actually rate this higher than what was done for Anesthetize and Home Invasion. My only gripe would be that it sounds maybe a bit too clean at times, as if they replaced a lot of the live recording with studio overdubs. The drums spread over the entire surround field at the beginning of "Once" sound glorious, and the main keyboard part in "Blackfield" is mixed entirely to the rears. There are even some passages where all four corner speakers feature different vocalists (SW front right, Geffen front left, keyboard player rear left, and drummer rear right).
I'm with you on Geffen's vocals, and not just here, but on other Blackfield records also. His whole shtick (makeup, no shirt, etc.), doesn't really jive with the aura of the rest of the band. That being said, I still think this is a great performance, especially considering it seems to have been done on a tight budget. However, the sound quality and mix are first rate. Really like Christenings, which I seem to remember reading didn't make the cut for Deadwing.

Just got my copy recently and listened a few times.
I love the music, everything about this one is a 10 except I've got
to knock off 1 point for the frequency balance, or is it me?
The top end seems MIA, the cymbals etc are missing in the mix?
Does make the mix sound very smooth.
Maybe my hearing has finally shut down, I don't know?

As for Aviv's sparkles, I keep thinking about them coming loose and falling in his eyes
while he's trying to do a song on stage ?
Oh well his deal. LOL
BTW, where the hell are the women in the audience?

Back