[QQ FLASHBACK] Additional titles announced in German site

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
After browsing the net today I found German site that lists these additional titles as future releases. This will be awesome if it ever comes to pass here.

A-Ha Minor Earth, Major Sky WM
Alanis Morisette Jagged Little Pil WM
Alanis Morisette Under Rug Swept WM
Bluesbrothers Original Soundtrack WM
Bread Best of Bread WM
Caravana Cubana Late Night Sessions WM
Cars Cars WM
Christopher Cross Christopher Cross WM
Core Stone Temple Pilots WM
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young Déjà vu WM
David Sanborn Voyeur WM
Devo Q: Are We Not Men? WM
Disturbed Believe WM
Diverse Interpreten The Ultimate DVD Surround Sampler and 5.1 Set-Up Disc MV
Donald Fagen The Nightfly WM
Don Henley Inside Job WM
Doobie Brothers Minute by Minute WM
Faith Hill WM
Faith No More The Real Thing WM
Herbie Mann Memphis Underground WM
Jackson Browne Running On Empty WM
James' Addiction Nothing's Shocking WM
Jean-Luc Ponty Cosmic Messenger WM
Joni Mitchell Blue WM
Joni Mitchell Court & Spark WM
Joni Mitchell Hejira WM
Joni Mitchell Ladies of the Canyon WM
Judy Collins Wildflowers WM
Kronos Quartet Caravan WM
Linda Ronstadt What's New WM
Linkin Park Reanimation WM
Little Feat Dixie Chicken WM
Little Feat Waiting for Columbus WM
Michael McDonald The Voice of Michael McDonald WM
Miles Davis Tutu WM
Neil Young Harvest WM
R.E.M. Automatic for the People WM
R.E.M. Out of Time WM
R.E.M. Reveal WM
RHCP New Album WM
Ricky Lee Jones Ricky Lee Jones WM
Rod Stewart A Night on the Town WM
Rush New Album WM
Sasha ....You WM
Seal Seal WM
Stone Temple Pilots New Album WM
Sugar Ray New Album WM
Talkin' Heads Remain in Light WM
Talkin' Heads Speaking in Tongues WM
Todd Rundgren Something Anything WM
Tom Petty Wildflowers WM
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers First Album WM
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers You're gonna get it WM
Tracy Chapman Tracy Chapman WM
Trey Anastasio Trey Anastasio WM
Van Morrison Moondance WM
Violent Femmes First Album WM
Westernhagen The Best of Westernhagen WM
Yes Fragile WM
Yolanda Adams Mountain High WM

Good lord! Classic Joni Mitchell albums on DVD-A???

If this turns out to be some sort of sick joke, I'm not gonna survive the disappointment! The textured layers of Hejira (not to mention the fierce bass playing of Jaco Pastorius) will no doubt sound incredible in hi-rez. I read over at High Fidelity Review that Joni Mitchell is one of only a handful of artists (so far) to request hi-resolution stereo mixes, and that would seem to indicate that she's at least aware of DVD-A.

Here's hoping that these titles actually do see the light of day. If so, it would mean that Warner Bros. was finally dipping into its vast catalog of outstanding titles!

:D

DVD-Forum Schweiz

I wouldn't get excited just yet. This list has been on their site since the beginning of last year. The list consists of titles that were mentioned in passing by Warner as possible future projects back when the format was just beginning it's launch. A few have actually appeared, but for the most part, it basically remains a wish list. The owner of the site has continued to add titles to the list as they've been announced, Linkin Park: Reanimation, Alanis Morissette: Under Rug Swept, etc. along with most of the titles that have since been announced. They were not on the list originally.

The following release dates are listen for European release:
Two new titles are also announced.

19.08.2002 (ks)

Wie bereits berichtet, setzt Warner Music jetzt mit mehr und günstigeren DVD-Audio-Titeln auf eine neue Strategie, um dem hochauflösenden DVD-Audio-Format zum Durchbruch zu verhelfen. Daher wird es jetzt im Juni und Oktober eine ganze neuer Titel als DVD-Audio geben:

R.E.M. – „Reveal“
MILES DAVIS – „Tutu“
TREY ANASTASIO – „Trey Anastasio“
YES – „Fragile“

R.E.M. – „Automatic For The People“
LINDA RONSTADT – „What’s New“
ALANIS MORISSETTE –„Under Rug Swept“
DONALD FAGEN – „The Nightfly“
FAITH HILL – „Titel tba.“
NEIL YOUNG – „Harvest“
DISTURBED – „Believe“
LINKIN PARK – „Reanimated“
JACKSON BROWNE–„Running On Empty“

Source: www.areadvd.de

Frank

From that illusive record company - "If Only" Records........................................... :(

Well, it is sad. I don’t know how many of these were mixed, ready for release, and then shelved. I did buy the DVD-Audio "L.A. Woman" because I’m a big Doors fan in 2002. Popped it in, and since I did not own a DVD-A player only DVD-V at the time, I wasn’t all that impressed with the Dolby Digital (my CD sounded better in terms of sound fidelity) and I didn’t find the mix anywhere near how I remember my Quad Doors Q8 sounded. I still own the Q8, but still have not heard the mix since the 1970’s.

As one who didn’t get on the DVD-A / SACD bandwagon until late 2006, I think the biggest screw up – as far as I know and let me know if I’m wrong – is that the manufacturers of DVD-A / SACD disc players were not on the same page with the makers of discs, the record companies. I mean how real could the DVD-A / SACD format war be if you couldn’t buy a player without paying Big Bucks $$$. As soon as DVD-A / SACD discs came on the market, all new DVD players should have included the ability to play all formats without any additional cost or not that much more. I could be wrong, but the interest in DVD-A / SACD has not died, but grown stronger (as evidenced by eBay prices) and with the awareness by the general public now - slowly but surely – of the abilities of Hi-Rez options for better sound with the new HD disc formats. Whether or not we’ll see more major music releases remains in question, but it looks like people like Neil Young are plowing the way forward in 2008 with his major archival project. Good news!

Problem is, just as with DVD-A / SACD, Blu-Ray players and discs are way too expensive for the average person now. And with high gas prices are people really going to buy? Maybe if the players and discs are cheap enough they’ll have to, people can’t afford to drive anywhere anymore. :D

Depends on what you mean by 'big bucks'...the Pioneer DV45-A went for $500 and less, but to the average person, perhaps that's a lot to invest in one component? Probably. Even so, there were enough universal players out there for anyone interested.

But beyond that, since DVD-A's(if not SACD's)often had a Dolby Digital 5.1 track, anyone with that sorta playback for DVD movies could buy these discs and enjoy them. I still maintain, however, that the 'average consumer' simply did not understand what was going on, wasn't educated, and therefore wasn't interested.

As for the inflated prices these days, that's just sellers taking advantage of latecomers, not due to the scarcity of the titles(while not as common as redbook CD's, most of these were readily available for a time for anyone who wanted them). Any interest in DVD-A and SACD now is for that reason, because for years only audiophiles--like the guys you find here--bought them or paid any attention to what was going on. Notice how many here are asking 'where can I buy?' when they should have been buying five years ago when these were fairly plentiful and cheap. Anyone who waits always risk paying the higher price for things that may never be reissued again. Same ol' story....

ED :)

Yes, I was totally misinformed about what DVD-Audio was as many still are. I wrongly assumed 5 years ago DVD-Audio was just audio on DVD. I knew there was "high resolution" on the disc as well, but without being able to actually hear that layer it didn't mean much at the time. Even today as I preach the good word of DVD-A / SACD over and over again to friends and family and especially those who SHOULD know better – the Musician community - and How Great they sound AND how cheap one can get great combo players, people still seem disinterested. It’s only when they actually Hear the sound difference that people are totally blown away.

My friend recently transferred his multi-track reel to reels and thank god he listened to me and did them at 24 bit / 96 kHz. It didn’t cost any extra to do it that way as opposed to CD Quality. I try to preach to my musician friends to record at least at 24 bit / 96 kHz (hey, since I’m preaching so much I should hand out pamphlet’s about Hi-Rez multi-channel as well :smokin). Thank god most record at least at 24 bit / 48 kHz, but there are many musicians still working only with CD quality.

Yes, looking back $500 even though a lot of money for a player (for the average consumer) was still a bargan when you consider how cheap discs we're back then. Even now, if you're careful and wait, you can still get almost what you want. :)

Damn! Rod Stewart's "A Night on the Town" would have been a great disc in Hi-Rez multi-channel. Devo, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, The Cars, Faith No More, James' Addiction, etc.

After browsing the net today I found German site that lists these additional titles as future releases. This will be awesome if it ever comes to pass here.

A-Ha Minor Earth, Major Sky WM
Alanis Morisette Jagged Little Pil WM
Alanis Morisette Under Rug Swept WM
Bluesbrothers Original Soundtrack WM
Bread Best of Bread WM
Caravana Cubana Late Night Sessions WM
Cars Cars WM
Christopher Cross Christopher Cross WM
Core Stone Temple Pilots WM
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young Déjà vu WM
David Sanborn Voyeur WM
Devo Q: Are We Not Men? WM
Disturbed Believe WM
Diverse Interpreten The Ultimate DVD Surround Sampler and 5.1 Set-Up Disc MV
Donald Fagen The Nightfly WM
Don Henley Inside Job WM
Doobie Brothers Minute by Minute WM
Faith Hill WM
Faith No More The Real Thing WM
Herbie Mann Memphis Underground WM
Jackson Browne Running On Empty WM
James' Addiction Nothing's Shocking WM
Jean-Luc Ponty Cosmic Messenger WM
Joni Mitchell Blue WM
Joni Mitchell Court & Spark WM
Joni Mitchell Hejira WM
Joni Mitchell Ladies of the Canyon WM
Judy Collins Wildflowers WM
Kronos Quartet Caravan WM
Linda Ronstadt What's New WM
Linkin Park Reanimation WM
Little Feat Dixie Chicken WM
Little Feat Waiting for Columbus WM
Michael McDonald The Voice of Michael McDonald WM
Miles Davis Tutu WM
Neil Young Harvest WM
R.E.M. Automatic for the People WM
R.E.M. Out of Time WM
R.E.M. Reveal WM
RHCP New Album WM
Ricky Lee Jones Ricky Lee Jones WM
Rod Stewart A Night on the Town WM
Rush New Album WM
Sasha ....You WM
Seal Seal WM
Stone Temple Pilots New Album WM
Sugar Ray New Album WM
Talkin' Heads Remain in Light WM
Talkin' Heads Speaking in Tongues WM
Todd Rundgren Something Anything WM
Tom Petty Wildflowers WM
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers First Album WM
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers You're gonna get it WM
Tracy Chapman Tracy Chapman WM
Trey Anastasio Trey Anastasio WM
Van Morrison Moondance WM
Violent Femmes First Album WM
Westernhagen The Best of Westernhagen WM
Yes Fragile WM
Yolanda Adams Mountain High WM

I'm just seeing this thread for the first time because of the recent activity on the Unreleased Joni Mitchell DVDA thread. How could they have not released some of this great stuff? It's really breaking my heart seeing many of these titles that are still in the vaults!!!

I'm just seeing this thread for the first time because of the recent activity on the Unreleased Joni Mitchell DVDA thread. How could they have not released some of this great stuff? It's really breaking my heart seeing many of these titles that are still in the vaults!!!

These albums might have been planned for a Surround mix and release. It doesn't mean that a Surround mix was actually funded and completed.
So there is a question as to whether Surround editions of these albums would be "still in the vaults". :)

Back