BluRay Music Video Poll David Gilmour - REMEMBER THAT NIGHT LIVE AT THE ROYAL ALBERT HALL [Blu-Ray]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Blu-Ray disc of David Gilmour - REMEMBER THAT NIGHT LIVE AT THE ROYAL ALBERT

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this HD title. If you feel so inclined, include info on the type of equipment you are using for playback and your setup. (y):phones(n)

When voting, please remember that we're mostly interested in the quality of the sound and the surround mix as opposed to the video presentation, although in the case of these discs that would also be a consideration when contemplating a disc purchase.

Attachments

• Untitled - 1.jpg
    Untitled - 1.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 535
  • Gil-back.jpg
    Gil-back.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 543
Giving this one an 8. The audio is way to low in volume level. I have to crank it up to close to the maximum level on my amp to get the level I want. Also, the clarity is not up to the level of the other 3 BD concert discs that I have so far in the 2 days days that I have been BD equiped. The bass is also not quite right. The other 3 BD concerts I have are fine in this regard so it is not a general problem. The video is the best that you could do with the number of lights etc going on. Not the best use of the BD format but the video is definately better than the standard DVD upscaled to 1080p.

Why a 7... the picture quality is no better than the dvd which I also have. Otherwise a lovely disc.

I missed voting on this...the choice to add "gimmicks" in the lighting proved fatal for this disc...when you are at a venue like this you don't need to use the circus approach with lights...this one scorched my retina to the point that I unloaded it on amazon...I'm giving it a WEAK 7...

I missed voting on this...the choice to add "gimmicks" in the lighting proved fatal for this disc...when you are at a venue like this you don't need to use the circus approach with lights...this one scorched my retina to the point that I unloaded it on amazon...I'm giving it a WEAK 7...

I agree with you here. PF's trade mark foggy stage and dark lighting didn't help with the long shots. I preferred Gdansk (have the dvd) to this one. The orchestra was a nice touch and to be honest I thought David's performance was a little more "inspired" than the Albert Hall concert. He seemed to be quite moved by the people there, that they don't get to see something like this very often, and I thought his performance reflected that.

Both shows have their high-points for me. The Gdansk show has the added emotion, and the orchestra fills out the songs quite nicely (it's too bad they weren't used more, like in "Echoes" or SOYCD, but a minor complaint since those performances were great anyway). I really hope the whole Gdansk show ends up on Blu-ray, even if it's just a bare-bones release as I'm still fond of the four-disc set I have.

The picture is quite poor, very grainy in low light (newer digital cameras would have done much better, IMO) and I think they went overboard in some tracks with the colored light blasts that made my head feel like I might have developed epilepsy n my dark theater room. I actually turned on ambient lights on a few numbers to reduce the retinal stress. I don't remember getting retinal stress with the Delicate Sound of Thunder laserdisc back in the day, but PULSE had its moments, I suppose.

The sound quality was ok. It could have been better. Pink Floyd was always known for the sound quality of their records compared to the average band.

It was great to hear Echoes in its entirety for once, although I still prefer the Pink Floyd Live In Pompeii version (along with the best version ever of Careful With That Axe Eugene and the only version I care to listen to these days). Roger did something slightly different with the bass line in that version with an extra note tacked on that gave the rhythmic section a really sweet kick the original lacked (live version here is pretty faithful to the Meddle album version by comparison). I transferred those two songs from the Pompeii set to play as an audio album they were so good. Part 1 worked well by itself (I never cared for the Halloween sounding bit in the middle anyway).

The extras were nice. I love the acoustic version of Echoes on there, but it was Part 2 and I would have preferred Part 1, but even so it was great. I think David should do an old school MTV Unplugged style album of the less acoustic Floyd and Gilmour hits. I'd love to hear Welcome to the Machine acoustic or even Dogs (Waters more likely to do the latter, I'm afraid).

I think David should do an old school MTV Unplugged style album of the less acoustic Floyd and Gilmour hits. I'd love to hear Welcome to the Machine acoustic or even Dogs (Waters more likely to do the latter, I'm afraid).
He did already, there's a DVD called "David Gilmour in Concert" with superb acoustic renditions of Floyd hits, together with a few rarities. No Dogs or WTTM played though, although Dogs gets funnily mentioned

He did already, there's a DVD called "David Gilmour in Concert" with superb acoustic renditions of Floyd hits, together with a few rarities. No Dogs or WTTM played though, although Dogs gets funnily mentioned

I missed that one somehow. I just ordered a DVD of it.

Back