BluRay Music Video Poll Eagles - Farewell Tour: Live From Melbourne [Blu-Ray, HD-DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD of The Eagles - FAREWELL TOUR I

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround Mix, Poor Content

• Total voters
I'm a huge fan of the Eagles and have collected most of their available surround releases. Would love to see the quad mixes of the first two albums surface at some point (maybe in a box set like Chicago).

Found out about this release from the single track used on the Acura ELS DVD-A sampler ("One Of These Nights"). I gave it a 9. I always thought live surround mixes were more of an ambience kind of deal, but it's amazing what ES managed do to with this concert. The version of "New Kid In Town" on this disc might actually be more discrete than the DVD-A! If you isolate the front, the keyboard completely vanishes. Overall, the separation and sound quality is incredible.

Content-wise it's a nice mix of group and solo stuff. Highlights include "New Kid In Town", "Sunset Grill" (love the piano appearing in the left rear toward the end), "Rocky Mountain Way", and "Hotel California"

Also, the concert footage on a 60' Samsung SUHD set is insanely clear.

Last edited:
Huge fan of the eagles in surround...I have the two cd-4s, Q8 transfers, and the hotel California DVD-A. Would love to see the quad mixes of the first two albums surface at some point (maybe in a box set ala Chicago)

Found out about this from the single track used on the Acura ELS DVD-A sampler (one of these nights)...Ordered the blu ray recently. I always thought live mixes were more of an ambience effect but it's amazing what ELS managed do to with this concert. The version of New kid in town on this disc might actually be better than the DVD-A. If you isolate the front, the keyboard completely vanishes. Overall, the separation and sound quality is incredible.

Nice mix of solo and group content...highlights include new kid in town, sunset grill (love the piano appearing in the left rear toward the end), Rocky Mountain way, and hotel California.

Also, the concert footage on a 60' Samsung SUHD set is insanely clear

I give it a 9

You should also check out their Hell Freezes Over mix too (you didn't mention it so I'm thinking you may have missed that too?)

You should also check out their Hell Freezes Over mix too (you didn't mention it so I'm thinking you may have missed that too?)

It also has Don Felder on guitar. The guy who wrote the music to Hotel California. :worthy Mix by Elliot Scheiner.

Anyone know who did the surround mix for this Farewell 1? Wouldn't be surprised if it's Scheiner it sounds so good. :)

Am I the only one that experience heavy synch problems (picture vs. sound) on this disc? I am on my second version but they have both the same issue. I barely manage to get it tolerable in synch setting the audio delay at maximum (I think it is 120 ms) on my receiver.

Anyone?

Am I the only one that experience heavy synch problems (picture vs. sound) on this disc? I am on my second version but they have both the same issue. I barely manage to get it tolerable in synch setting the audio delay at maximum (I think it is 120 ms) on my receiver.

Anyone?

I have the disc and don't have vocal to picture sync issues. Never had to make any adjustments either.

This is one of the very best concert blurays I've found, to date, and I'm trying to track down the best.
Well-shot, well-recorded, well-mixed, great set. The performers are in good form. Luckily captured before the death of Glenn Frey.
This is a top tier disc.

Filling in a few holes in the collection, I finally got around to grabbing this one.

Firstly, the mix. Pure Scheiner goodness. Elliot really knows how to mix a concert. Much like Hell Freezes Over, the members of the band are mixed up front while (for the most part) the support musicians are mixed to the rear. Great clarity, great separation, incredibly discrete.

The song selection. Although there's a bit more solo material than I would have preferred, the nice thing here is that there are more than a dozen songs featured here that were not on Hell Freezes Over, so the two compliment each other very well in that respect.

Picture/editing: Picture quality is pristine and editing is pretty good. My only major gripe here is that there are too many shots of audience members singing along. When I go to a show, I don't turn around to watch people behind me. Why would I want to see that on a video? (Although I couldn't complain about the shot on a Todd Rundgren DVD where the camera focuses on me singing along! So I'm a hypocrite, LOL.) I did have some issues with synch that others had mentioned, although it wasn't extreme and it seemed to come and go. Maybe it's my cheap Vizio TV?

Performance: The band is very tight and very professional, but many of the performances do seem to lack energy and spontaneity. Sometimes it seems a little too polished and I had to wonder how much of it might have been overdubbed at some studio in L.A. Also, was the horn section really necessary? Not sure that it works with their material. It should also be noted that this performance took place after Don Felder was fired for expecting an equal share of band profits, so a support musician ends up playing a lot of the guitar solos. (That factor is certainly a point in Hell Freezes Over's favor.)

Full disclosure: The Eagles are a band that I like, but don't love. They do have quite a few songs ("I Can't Tell You Why", "Wasted Time", "Pretty Maids All in a Row") that I really love. But they also have a bunch of songs ("New Kid in Town", "The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks", "The Disco Strangler") that I never want to hear again. I think they're all certainly talented musicians and songwriters. However, I find that when I see them interviewed that there are several members of the band who I really dislike as people. I won't go into what my specifics beefs are. I bring this up because I am fully aware that despite liking much of their music, I have a tendency to really nitpick them because of the aforementioned issues. So having said that, I feel I should base my rating just on the quality of the production, especially Mr. Scheiner's wonderful 5.1 mix. If you even have only a passing interest in the band, this is an essential purchase. There are so few concert DVDs/Blu-rays with mixes this nice. It does set a standard by which other concerts videos should be judged, so I'm giving it a 10.

This is one of the very best concert blurays I've found, to date, and I'm trying to track down the best.
Well-shot, well-recorded, well-mixed, great set. The performers are in good form. Luckily captured before the death of Glenn Frey.
This is a top tier disc.

Got into concert blus pretty steep myself, 150 or so now. Certainly have my share of bums in the mix, some have bad video, others have audio issues and sadly some have warts on both a/v. Here are 10 or so of my favourites if you don't have one or two, and like the music of course EB:

Eagles - Farewell as mentioned
Jethro Tull - Montreux 2003
Return To Forever - Montreux 2008
Lindsey Buckingham - Songs From The Small Machine
Muse - Live in Rome
Chris Botti - Live in Boston
Peter Gabriel - Growing Up Live
Sting - Live in Berlin 2010
Jeff Beck - Live At Ronnie Scott's
David Foster(2) - Hit Man and Hit Man Returns

The 2 from Foster are both recommended for date night ;)

The Eagles are almost #1 for me, but still gets bested by Jethro Tull for my eyes and ears. BTW, I have no sync issues with the Eagles as has been mentioned. Oh, I'll throw in one more that is absolutely stellar and got from the bargain bin for under $10...B.B. King - Montreux 1993. Even though it's 1993, it's full screen with great video and audio.

just picked this up

A solid 9++, would'of been a 10 if the DTS-HD MA was 96kHz instead of 48kHz

Why would the Masterers limit the DTS-HD MA to 48kHz when DTS anything really shines at 96kHz is beyond me??

The reason I say this is I did an A/B with the songs "One of these nights" and "Rocky Mountain Way" from the same ES mix (but in 96kHz MLP) found on these Acura demos discs:

Acura%2008%20Back.jpg

Acura%2007%20Back.jpg

same mix, but different Mastering and the 96kHz sounds 'fuller", "deeper", "smoother" while the 48kHz sounds "clearer", "sharper", "analytical"

I wish there was a format that would allow the highs of 48kHz to shine as well as the lows of 96kHz at the same time

I ripped the HD-DVD a few years ago and it was 24-96. Funny thing is, I can't remember just how I did it. I know I have the process written down somewhere, and I bought that LG BluRay/HD-DVD ROM drive for my PC. Bought that drive just for the purpose of ripping that disc. Still use it for BluRays.

Any Diff in Sound quality from the dvd to the bluray version?? Resolution etc?? :mad:@:

I just voted 9. One of the best concert videos, Blu Ray that I own. A sterling performance by the band and band extras. My expectation was it was going to be a little more discrete but, great surround, sonic quality is clear with beautiful bass, midrange and treble. It’s a 10 within the group of concert videos, and only a 9 because it is not studio. My logic doesn’t really make sense, but sticking to it. Obviously recorded over multiple nights, only can notice by change of shirts and Joe Walsh top shirt buttoned and unbuttoned within same song. What a great disc, thanks to QQ for turning me on.

The reason I say this is I did an A/B with the songs "One of these nights" and "Rocky Mountain Way" from the same ES mix (but in 96kHz MLP) found on these Acura demos discs:

same mix, but different Mastering and the 96kHz sounds 'fuller", "deeper", "smoother" while the 48kHz sounds "clearer", "sharper", "analytical"

I wish there was a format that would allow the highs of 48kHz to shine as well as the lows of 96kHz at the same time

Here's "One Of These Nights" from the Acura disc and the Blu-Ray. It is still 48khz on the Acura disc. The mastering is different (Acura version is quieter, as with the Fleetwood Mac and Steve Miller tracks), and the frequency curve is close.

The waveforms look different because the Acura version omits most of the applause and Joe Walsh's monologue at the end. I though about chopping it out to make them look even, but I couldn't quite get the timing right. Spectrum only analyzes the first 300 or so seconds though so it doesn't matter.

I would attribute any audible differences between the two versions to the mastering, as the sample rate is the same and both codecs are lossless.

Jon (or anyone else who has it)- Is the HD-DVD really 96/24? It'd be cool if we could see waveforms and frequency from that. One of the only formats I never got into...

2008 Acura DVD-A:
Screen Shot 2018-01-28 at 5.31.12 PM.jpg

2013 Blu Ray DTSHD-MA:
Screen Shot 2018-01-28 at 5.31.25 PM.jpg

2007 HD-DVD - Courtesy of Jon. Not only is it 96/24, but the frequency response goes past 20k! The mastering is closer to the Blu-Ray.
Screen Shot 2018-01-28 at 6.38.28 PM.jpg

Fascinating...could it be possible that the Acura DVD-A and/or Blu used the lossy master from the original DTS DVD release?

If anyone has the original DVD I could throw a graph from that version up too...this is getting out of hand :yikes

Last edited:
Is the Acura version from "Hell Freezes Over" or the "Farewell Tour I"? I forget.

I do have the HD-DVD of "Farewell Tour" ripped to hard drive, although I honestly can't remember how I did it! :yikes

It does sound awesome, and it is 24/96.

Is this from "Hell Freezes Over" or the "Farewell Tour I"? I forget.

I do have the HD-DVD of "Farewell Tour" ripped to hard drive, although I honestly can't remember how I did it! :yikes

It does sound awesome, and it is 24/96.

It's from "Farewell Tour I"- though now I wonder if the DTS-CD and DVD-V versions of "Hell Freezes Over" have different masterings :confused:

Very interesting that only the HD-DVD is 96/24...I doubt I'd hear the difference, but I get caught up in the PC stuff rather easily :)

It's from "Farewell Tour I"- though now I wonder if the DTS-CD and DVD-V versions of "Hell Freezes Over" have different masterings :confused:

Very interesting that only the HD-DVD is 96/24...I doubt I'd hear the difference, but I get caught up in the PC stuff rather easily :)

I am sending you the HD-DVD rip of that song. I don't recall how I got it to 24/96. Maybe I resampled it but I don't know why I would have done that. Either that or whatever software I used upsampled it. :confused::mad:@::confused:

On a related note, I seem to recall that the DTS LaserDisc of "Hell Freezes Over" had the best audio quality, over the DTS-CD and the DVD-V and DTS-DVD.

Back