BluRay Music Video Poll Eagles - Farewell Tour: Live From Melbourne [Blu-Ray, HD-DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD of The Eagles - FAREWELL TOUR I

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround Mix, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this HD title. If you feel so inclined, include info on the type of equipment you are using for playback and your setup.

When voting, please remember that we're mostly interested in the quality of the sound and the surround mix as opposed to the video presentation, although in the case of these discs that would also be a consideration when contemplating a disc purchase.

Attachments

• eagles front.jpg
    eagles front.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 993
  • eagles back.jpg
    eagles back.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 1,075
Really enjoyed this disc , particularly Joe Walsh . I do think it was a bit lazy not to include a Lossless track even if we may have had to wait for a player/decoding solution . A solid 9 .

~M~

Really enjoyed this disc , particularly Joe Walsh . I do think it was a bit lazy not to include a Lossless track even if we may have had to wait for a player/decoding solution . A solid 9 .

~M~

I tried to accumulate the totals and it appears that about 20% of HD DVD releases and about 70% of Blu-ray releases so far include lossless audio. It appears to me that the HD DVD combined bitrate limitation of 30Mpbs is the reason HD DVD uses it so infrequenlty. The video compromise required to utilize so much for audio, even when using the more efficient VC-1 codec is the only reason I can speculate on. According to my PS3 bitrate calculator, non-Warner Blu-ray releases routinely peak over 40Mbps.

Chris

I tried to accumulate the totals and it appears that about 20% of HD DVD releases and about 70% of Blu-ray releases so far include lossless audio. It appears to me that the HD DVD combined bitrate limitation of 30Mpbs is the reason HD DVD uses it so infrequenlty. The video compromise required to utilize so much for audio, even when using the more efficient VC-1 codec is the only reason I can speculate on. According to my PS3 bitrate calculator, non-Warner Blu-ray releases routinely peak over 40Mbps.

Chris

I imagine that the capacity of the HD-DVD discs is what limits the use of lossless audio, too. Blu-Ray is using a 50GB disc which opens up more room to provide more sound options. Picture-wise they're pretty equal. But since sound matters, Blu is doing more for us. It now comes down to what the studio is willing to provide. Disney and Fox are pretty good about loading up on the sound. Warner (IMO the major studio for music) is hit or miss. Most of their Blu-Ray releases are straight copies of the HD-DVD. I don't know if that's laziness or business but, if it were me, I'd do everything possible to provide as many options as I could.

I imagine that the capacity of the HD-DVD discs is what limits the use of lossless audio, too. Blu-Ray is using a 50GB disc which opens up more room to provide more sound options. Picture-wise they're pretty equal. But since sound matters, Blu is doing more for us. It now comes down to what the studio is willing to provide. Disney and Fox are pretty good about loading up on the sound. Warner (IMO the major studio for music) is hit or miss. Most of their Blu-Ray releases are straight copies of the HD-DVD. I don't know if that's laziness or business but, if it were me, I'd do everything possible to provide as many options as I could.

Warner is hit or miss because it uses the same file for both formats. The upcoming New Line "Shoot 'Em Up" Blu-ray release is reported to peak above 40Mbps and if true and the HD DVD release follows, it will be the first release to use different encodes that I am aware of. If that title isn't coming on HD DVD, maybe Warner is moving to the Blu side exclusively?

In any event, it would be nice to have this title and all music titles use lossless audio.

Chirs

Anywho, back to the music...

A very professional effort by the Eagles on this one. Very good mix with clear instrumentations. The vocals are a little thin but these guys are in their 60's now. Joe Walsh sounded the best. Sobriety is doing him a huge favor.

Not a major upgrade over the DVD but the picture is clearer. This one's a keeper! (y)

Although there is no inidication on the case or disc, my Yamaha RX-V663 indicates this title is in fact DTS-HD MA 5.1. Nobody had the ability to do anything with HD DVD DTS-HD MA when this was released and all players would just indicate DTS until a firmware update added DTS-HD MA bitstreaming. If you have this disc and a Toshiba HD-XA2, Toshiba HD-A35, Onkyo DV-HD805, Integra DHS-8.8, Samsung BD-UP5000 or LG BH200 and a receiver that decodes DTS-HD MA 5.1 check it out. I recently picked this up and put it in a player for the first time last night.

Chris

For those who have been waiting, this title is finally getting a Blu-Ray release on February 13th!! If you like the Eagles (and I know there are many that do not), this is a must own. One of the only reasons that I still have an HD-DVD player is for this disc. I would doubt that the Blu-Ray will have the excellent scrolling menu that the HD-DVD has, but the surround on this one is quite good for a live concert.

Here's a link to amazon for the title. Get it where you like, this link is "pure" (no ad revenue is generated when you click on it)

http://www.amazon.com/Farewell-Live-Melbourne-Blu-ray-Eagles/dp/B00AR1G3FS

Just finished watching and listening to this on bluray.

Picture Quality is 10
Audio Quality is 9
5.1-mix gets an 8

Still I voted a 7 in total...

Why, you wonder! It is simply because the audio is so out of synch with the video. I have a home theatre setup where I usually do not have to adjust anything to get it in sync. Here I have to do it for both the stereo track and the 5.1 track, both when I am listening in digital mode (HDMI) and in analogue mode. When I set the Audio delay on my receiver to maximum (140 ms) it gets almost perfect, I would say that the the audio is approx. 150-160 ms out of sync.

My earlier experience with these kind of problems is that it is not a problem on this specific disc, rather the complete pressing.

Anyone else got this disc? Did you notice this problem?

Hi,
I checked my copy of the BluRay and I have no problem with Audio sync. I have an Oppo BDP83SE connected by HDMI to my NAD T787 and then HDMI to my Loewe 42".
I am watching and listening to at as I type with DTS-HD-MA 5.1. What a fantastic show and on my humble equipment it sounds fantastic.
As I live in Norway it had been too far for a single concert to travel to Australia to have experienced this concert live.
But, what a show. And some really nice woman in the audience. :D

Hi,
I checked my copy of the BluRay and I have no problem with Audio sync. I have an Oppo BDP83SE connected by HDMI to my NAD T787 and then HDMI to my Loewe 42".
I am watching and listening to at as I type with DTS-HD-MA 5.1. What a fantastic show and on my humble equipment it sounds fantastic.
As I live in Norway it had been too far for a single concert to travel to Australia to have experienced this concert live.
But, what a show. And some really nice woman in the audience. :D
Strange, maybe it is only my copy but I doubt it... I have the same player as you (Oppo BDP83SE) which never gave me such problems before. I noticed yesterday that the sync problem is on the bonus (interview) material as well. Very strange indeed...

I just purchased this disc to replace my DVD version. Last night, I watched it and was surprised by the out of sync problem. I had to add 100 MS on the OPPO BDP-105.

The mix is great! I give that a 10. The video is much improved over the DVD but isn't as great as I would expect it. Without taking the out of sync issue into account, I'd rate it an 8 overall. Because of the out of sync issue and the sound quality could be a hair better on the low end, I'm rating it a 7.

I just purchased this disc to replace my DVD version. Last night, I watched it and was surprised by the out of sync problem. I had to add 100 MS on the OPPO BDP-105.

The mix is great! I give that a 10. The video is much improved over the DVD but isn't as great as I would expect it. Without taking the out of sync issue into account, I'd rate it an 8 overall. Because of the out of sync issue and the sound quality could be a hair better on the low end, I'm rating it a 7.

I am really "glad" that someone else is hearing what I am hearing, since the sync problem is more significant than subtle... I got a new copy of the disc from Amazon US but as expected it had the same issue. Still can't believe that so many of you seems to have no issues with this disc...

I was wondering why ANYTHING from the Eagles would be this cheap. Now I know why! ARE you returning yours? I decided to keep my copy since it was a reasonable bargain.

I keep it for sure - after all when you adjust the audio delay it is fine... and it is a good Concert with high quality audio and video after all...

My HDDVD disc developed the dread error; disc rot I guess. It was a no-brainer to replace it with the BD, which I'm watching now. I don't own many concert discs but this one is just outstanding.

Late to the party. Had this disc for a while....(Blu)

I mean wow...seriously? This sounds so over the top good. PQ is phenomenal as well.

EDIT - another comment is this....what I totally LOVE about this is they don't try to reinvent their hits. They sound the same as when I was much younger...which makes it all a feel good concert. One of my all time favorites is I Can't Tell You Why....just love that tune and it sounds identical (except the quality of recording is way better) to the way I remember it back in the day. Brings back memories of girl friends of times past and of the dances at Prom. lol

Sorry...a little time capsule there...

Back